Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Canadian Pace Car Discussion    Breaking News about the Canadian "Pace" Cars, Fresh Ideas and New Discoveries..
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breaking News about the Canadian "Pace" Cars, Fresh Ideas and New Discoveries..
 Login/Join 
<RickDawn67>
posted
quote:
IMO...I think matters are complicated if we have a larger "replica style" or intent for build timeframe, as each "look a like" then joins us at the table. I see our pesky Black stripe Replica mystery rearing its head-again

Phil,

I'm chuckling a little (or actually a lot)reading this as I know what your talking about... But Pesky? Hopefully at least some of us here will agree that these Pesky "black nose" dealer replicas existed before the race and a few even after the race....

Blame it on the pesky dealerships, but I believe they did exist and these too need to either be proven or disproven which is exactly what I'm focused on. Just the pesky facts!!! Big Grin

Just like Steve is bringing facts and information to us on these Canadian/Player's Grand Prix cars, and the Can-AM Cherokee data is also starting to roll in, I expect there will be data surfacing (hopefully sooner then later) to support or deny the legitimacy of these black nose cars.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<RickDawn67>
posted
quote:
Anyone notice Stealthy Bill B made this topic its own section?????? Thanks Bill

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Great!

Tom,

Even though we only have 1 - 2 cars I believe you should consider adding another category for the Can-AM "Cherokee" pacers that toured with the Can-Am Challenge Cup series in the US and Canada in 1967.

At least the guy that owns it would have a place to chat and I believe there is a LOT more to be discovered about these incredible Can-AM pace cars chevrolet developed...

We already have lots of good pics and data.

What do you guys think?

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Yes... At some point I predict we will need to add a section to the board for discussion of replica's of the replica's, dealer built replica's or cars simularly equipped.

That is why the term "Indy Style" can be the "Genie".

Don't pet that bottle just yet..... Big Grin

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
OPINION: GM called the Texas zone and said " Find this ball snapper a car from a dealer down there with AC & power top and send it to his house "

This is probably exactly what happened. In the new car business, when you take someone out of their car, you put them back in a new car immeadiately. I wouldn't think GM would have worried about building something special for AJ, just get it over with. I just liked my thought that GM shoved the car he won straight up his, well, down his throat. Big Grin Wink

AJ owned a Chevrolet dealership in Houston, at least in 1974, but I don't know just when he bought the store. One would think if he still owned the car at that time, it would have went on display as a floor traffic draw, along with other racing memoribilia. Do we have any members in that area? Probably pretty easy to find out if it was ever on display there. I once owned (in 1988/1989) a 69 Camaro coupe that had an AJ Foyt Chevrolet dealership sticker on the bumper, but the sticker could have been put on as a used car.

Posts: 2961 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Good Theory.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Tony per usual has inside info but still the actual ways and means of the car is vague.. maybe a stocking dealer down there repainted a black stripe blue? The specualtion can be huge.. Point being.. his lack of cooperation is the killer here.. If he owned the Chevy dealership I bet he at best listened in on monthy board meetings.. He was winning millions and living the life of riley.. I almost believe he doesn't remember as disturbing as that is to guys like us

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
I almost believe he doesn't remember as disturbing as that is to guys like us

Guess that was the point I was trying to make, he was so hot, at the very top of the racing game, he just didn't care much about the $3500 car he had won.

Posts: 2961 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
maybe a stocking dealer down there repainted a black stripe blue?

Do you think AJ would have known the difference, or cared? His car could have been a black stripe car. Somebody in Houston knows the answer here, they just need to be found.

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Steve,

BINGO!! Big Grin

Phil@camaropacecars.com

<RickDawn67>
posted
Soooo...

One theory is that AJ's car could have been a repainted "black nose" with a power top and possibly dealer installed AC!!!!

Wait... we don't care about those cars! LOL!!! Big Grin Just kidding guys.... Wink

So, what about that car (N238090) I'm trying to track down guys?????? Is 06C too late. That car was last seen in Nov. 1999 in Fishers/Indianapolis Indiana.

<RickDawn67>
posted
I'll respond to myself....

Yes, its too late, as I'd expect if this was what AJ got, GM or a dealership in Texas would just grab from from the stock (if they had one)or have one wiped up at Norwood around 06A or so... They wouldn't wait till 06C.

<RickDawn67>
posted
Sorry to get off topic here guys, Hopefully we can get back to the 06C Canadian "Player's" Grand Prix pacers (Steve's baby) and throw AJ's car into the dunce corner.

<RickDawn67>
posted
David Parr,

I know you have alot of information on these cars... Now we have a place for the Canada pacers! Pretty exciting!!! Big Grin

You know, Living my whole life in Lewiston, New York, less then 5 minutes from the Canadian border till last year and I've spent quite a bit of time across the Niagara river. Bob Thomas (a pacer owner on here) also would say the same... Actually when we were teens the drinking age was lower in Canada, thus our ocassional trips to Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada! Wink Its also much nicer over there, less industry, and undisturbed land...

Between you and Zedder (now off somewere else) I know you guys have LOTS of knowledge and time also tied up figuring these cars out....

After reading through Steve's findings do you have anything you'd like to share when you have some time.

Thanks!!!

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
IMO all the CDN Festival Cars (as referred to by GM of Canada) were shipped to Oshawa, Ontario. We know the BB and SB breakdown and that all SB were alike and all BB were alike (batch built). They may have sat around GM in Oshawa and then used for race festivites prior to the GP then off to other duties or sold at dealerships across Canada. Gorries was a big name dealership but I doubt they got all the cars. I know some were distributed and sold at other dealerships.
I don't think the cars were popular sellers here compared to the US, but have no documentation to show that.
We know they were all shipped from Norwood the same day late 06C.
That's all I can provide.
Mark Kane may know some as well.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<RickDawn67>
posted
David,

If you look at my string on the "black nose" or "pesky" cars (LOL, you have to thank Phil for that and continued to make me smile/laugh...) and then click on the 1999 string over at .net and read down a ways, Rich Fields of the CRG suggests a 11th or 12th? BB car that was made early in the BB run 06C, but for some reason didn't ship till early July, so I don't think they all shipped at the same time to Canada for some reason??? I don't know the significance of this, but I believe Zedder also mentioned this awhile back....

<RickDawn67>
posted
Here's the 1999 .net string so you don't have to jump around. Go down to the bottom of the 1st page and look for Rich Field's/CRG's comments on the Canadian Festival cars and interesting late ship date on one BB.

06C (US black nose and Canadian)

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
That thread tells me just how far we have come...

WOW.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

<RickDawn67>
posted
quote:
That thread tells me just how far we have come...

WOW.

Phil, I agree! Good job all you guys... Wink

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Could, just could there be a chance in%*&# that
during the pace setter COPO listings that someone would have said:
Let us make a hardtop. Could there be hardtop pace cars? Roll Eyes After all the Canadian pacers were( 06C Cars) That were'nt even 1st gen production. that is 04D and before??

Posts: 871 | Location: Port Orchard Wa. | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rich Fields of the CRG suggests a 11th or 12th? BB car that was made early in the BB run 06C, but for some reason didn't ship till early July

This is completely fascinating! Eeker
I have never heard this before but it does confirm the numbers...the COPO Code numbers!!! Everyone knows!!
NUMBERS DON'T LIE!!!

There is one last piece to this Canadian mystery!! Wink

Posts: 9137 | Location: Ventura, Ca. | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
What is this car T? not AJ car if it crossed the boarder

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is this car T? not AJ car if it crossed the boarder

Don't be too sure of that!

Once again that Chevrolet Motor Company was featuring those damn White and Blue cars that AJ disliked....of course he was expected there!!
That's a great time for Chevrolet not to let AJ's public statement to be too damaging! Don't under estimate the Bow Tie in those days...... Chevrolet wanted everyone to know that the problem that someone would have by not excepting one of their cars wasn't because of the car itself!
AJ's reputation back then was already well established! This would be the perfect time for Chevrolet to prove to the Auto Industry and the Press that their car wasn't the problem... it was just an attitude sponsor problem! Wink

Of course....there is no evidence to say this is true. It's just something that I know Chevrolet would of done if the same Zone guys that I talked to were in charge!

Then!!

Like the biggest and baddest motor company in world would do, they would ask him where exactly would he like them to transport it to?? Wink Razzer

The other possible scenario ....It was for the Chevrolet of Canada' General Manager or a possible Display car of somesort....... Or both! Big Grin

Posts: 9137 | Location: Ventura, Ca. | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Just wondering if there is even one person that has been found who can place any kind of a 67 Camaro convertible in any part of AJ's stable of cars circa 1967? 1 Photograph? Even a statement by the pool boy or gardener at the time? The car would not have to have been delivered to his home in Texas, he may have had other locations for storing cars, and possible use of them while in that city.

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I very much believe the story that he gave it to his maid.. Maybe that wasn't the only thing he was giving " the maid" Eeker

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Nice.. I do find it odd that even with the advantage of the VIN's being know, so few Canadien cars have been found?