Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    0-1 Paint Research conclusion
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

0-1 Paint Research conclusion
 Login/Join

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
O- code on eBay

Pro:.. If I didn't know any better I'd think this car was Nantucket Blue ( doors a little underhood ).. theorizing thats true.. what would warrant the O-2 code? Maybe we should contact this guy and get a definite on the original paint like under trunk... Could this car have been a display car that got a super buff? I don't know..just saying IF its Nantucket confused

I always assume an O code car other than Pacers got painted a wierd color ie: Evening Orchid, Hugger Orange ( safety orange ) Silver, etc etc.. But not a blue when 3 were available already?

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13404 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Phil,

You have done a great job here. The hours you have spent have to total into the hundreds, not to mention the dollars spent mixing paint. The five color samples in the above photo all look extremely similar. Once you change the trucks to Ivory, instead of the bright white, this all fits together well.

I know you have no definitive answer, but what is your opinion as to why the 03C cars were painted with enamel? This just doesn't make sense when they had the much smoother lacquer ermine in place. To think that baked enamel was something that could be worked with and polished out extensively, at least when it was fresh is wrong. It was hard as a rock, did not take a coarse cut well, in efforts to smooth it out.

Wonder why, when the 04A cars were painted with lacquer, why the 0-1 code was still used on the cars? Now it's standard lacquer, nothing special. Just makes no sense. With every solution, it seems to create 100 more questions.

You have done a great job and I thank you for the time and effort you have put into this. Cheers sse

Posts: 2961 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Tom M,

How does the five samples in photograph compare to the post on your C-1 car? It should be a spot on match? Here is that photo again. Toms C-1

Posts: 2961 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967 RS SS:
Phil,

You have done a great job here. The hours you have spent have to total into the hundreds, not to mention the dollars spent mixing paint. The five color samples in the above photo all look extremely similar. Once you change the trucks to Ivory, instead of the bright white, this all fits together well.

I know you have no definitive answer, but what is your opinion as to why the 03C cars were painted with enamel? This just doesn't make sense when they had the much smoother lacquer ermine in place. To think that baked enamel was something that could be worked with and polished out extensively, at least when it was fresh is wrong. It was hard as a rock, did not take a coarse cut well, in efforts to smooth it out.

Wonder why, when the 04A cars were painted with lacquer, why the 0-1 code was still used on the cars? Now it's standard lacquer, nothing special. Just makes no sense. With every solution, it seems to create 100 more questions.

You have done a great job and I thank you for the time and effort you have put into this. Cheers sse

Steve,

Take another look at part #3 Continued...

You may be on to something with the trucks/ivory connection but I do not know nor can I specuate at this point. The trucks could have been Fleet White. Cheers

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
As you know (if you read the original 0-1 paint thread) I loyally stayed the course, and in the end it was Tony that did an optical scan of Fleet White using a dupont IR camera on what he called a "sun damaged sample" from his own pick up truck.

Sooooo,.... How many truck samples did we get again?
The chip that exposed the under dash blue was believed to be the source of the blue in the sample that I offered up.

Posts: 9137 | Location: Ventura, Ca. | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
There are a number of questions that I posted that I'm still hoping for you to answer.

Posts: 9137 | Location: Ventura, Ca. | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always assume an O code car other than Pacers got painted a wierd color ie: Evening Orchid, Hugger Orange ( safety orange ) Silver, etc etc.. But not a blue when 3 were available already?

The only parts that I see blue are the bolt on doors.... however...there was also some wacky blue, once again, offered through the truck catalog.

2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was hard as a rock, did not take a coarse cut well, in efforts to smooth it out.

I need to correct this statement. "It was hard as a rock" referring to the truck enamel should have read something more like "hard as a rock compared to the lacquer on the cars". That fresh truck enamel was just immpossible to buff with a coarse compound when fresh. As it aged over the years, it became much easier to work. Even a mild cut or polishing would just not work well. Caking and bunching was a big problem. Todays variable speed buffers would have done a much better job. In 1970, about the only polishers available were Souix and Milwaukee huge and heavy polishers.

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Phil,

In part #3 continued, you share with us your feelings on the reasoning behind the Special Paint.....

Could you post the Chevrolet Publication article that lead you to believe this formula change could be possible?

Could you also explain again what differences that you feel may have went into the 04A Lacquer shot show quality standard cars?
I only ask this because you are suggesting or stating the only reason the 04A and beyond Pace Cars received the Special paint code was for ID purposes!

Do you really believe Chevrolet would do this?

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Is there some new information that you are asking for? The PartsMart article from Chevrolet was posted up by Mike Rossi Some time ago and is still here on the board. For the record it stated Ermine White was the color.

To the remainder of your question please re-read the part #3 continuation post. To cut to the chase here - focus on the Canadian cars and the nomenclature found on the GM of Canada documents. The Canadian Program had nothing to do with the Indy 500 yet - they are 0-1's with the 1001HA special paint code on the GM documentation including the blue bumble bee nose stripe. They were prefrenced through the GM show car account as well.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Oh!!!

I read it!!

And I'm also familiar with the article...I was just hoping you were referring to something more....

I just do not interpret the same thing.

Phil,

If this theory didn't come after all the other mystery white thoughts and if a man that I'm having a hard time disbelieving, that worked this program didn't share with me what he was rather certain was the color, I could probably find this latest theory an easier pill to swallow! Even if it re-writes everything that I've ever heard, read or dreamed about what SPECIAL PAINT meant back in the day!
Do you have any other programs that you could use as an example that did anything similar that is documented from the 1960s?
Do you not want to answer why the first hand account is so easy to dismiss?

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Chevy didn't seem to have any problems with professing the names of the available colors. Even going so far as to name the same color 6 different things that " fit " buyer personalities better ( Cadillac would use " rich guy white" but thats the same exact color as " New York city garbage truck white") except no rich guy is gonna tell his buds at the golf club that his car is garbage truck white... So does it not stand to reason that if they (Chevy) chose another color than Ermine that they would have used the best name for it? Why did they not? confused

Posts: 13404 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I got a lot of questions and a pityful few answers thats for sure confused

2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
I will have to admit to quite an error in that I totally somehow missed the part 3 continued segment, and have just read it for the first time. Surprises me how many of what my thoughts are, are included in that post.

2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:

This post has bothered me all day, made me want to ask this question, and I do apologize for mucking up this thread. Who or where did the trim tag data breakdown or explanation come from originally? Was the decoding of the trim tags from a GM document that was incomplete in not having IPC data included? Or was it all compiled by surveys of cars tags vs the cars known equipment/options, or lack of?

What I am getting at, is if the 0-0 code is not just a special paint color, then are any other of the codes on the tag to be taken to have a multiple meaning or definition?