Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Indy 500 Pace Car Discussion    Sign Boards for Car Show (FEEDBACK PLEASE...??)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sign Boards for Car Show (FEEDBACK PLEASE...??)
 Login/Join 
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted
Hello folks… been a while (way too long)…

I’m seeking constructive feedback, suggestions, corrections, on text blocks I put together for 2 separate sign boards (‘car show’ props). Substantial portions of the material are lifted liberally from this site, also from CamaroPaceCars.com, with considerable paraphrasing. I’m sure some of you folks answer the same questions over & over again too.

I’m thinking of going to Scottsdale AZ Goodguys show (11/17-11/19) but coming down to the wire. If I go, hoping to use these in my display.

A couple comments, questions, explanations follow with the 2 separate pages...

Posts: 668 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
On the “About Pace Car” sheet (follows below):

• Any concerns or suggestions on opening paragraph (particularly the statement about Pace Car group “mission”)???
  • I really wanted to add a snarky comment to the paragraph discussing dealers who got left-out of the promo; I.E. probably creating the first IPC ‘clones’. Decided to exercise some diplomatic restraint and left this out. Hate to start a fistfight at a car show (depending on the audience)…
  • In the same paragraph; note coinage(?) of the phrase “Born-As” Pace Cars as a subtle way to differentiate from ‘clones’, ‘tributes’, and other ‘fakes’...
  • I kinda glossed over the distinction between “Brass Hat” and “Speedway” cars, this section seemed already getting unwieldy…
  • Is 218 the latest Registry number? 450 the most recent scientific guess? Is 400-450 range realistic?

ABOUT the 1967 INDY PACE CAR...
===================================

The 1967 Indy Pace Car is one of the rarest of first generation Camaros, and probably the most misunderstood. Many aspects of the Pace Car program were not documented. The Pace Car group has sought to improve clarity by pooling data from actual cars & owners, historical research, limited records, and knowledgeable sources…

In early 1967, Chevrolet’s new Camaro was selected to be the Pace Car for the 51st running of the Indianapolis 500 Motor race.

Chevrolet provided 78 mostly-identical Camaros for use at the by race officials and other dignitaries, along with 2 specially-prepared track cars (One primary with a backup car). 43 ‘Festival’ cars were used by race officials, and 35 ‘Brass Hat’/ ’Speedway’ cars (all built in Norwood, Ohio) were used by VIP’s and GM executives. These were later sold to the public as used cars. While GM work orders called for 2 ‘Backup’ Pace Cars, it is believed that only one was actually built & delivered. A third track car has never been confirmed.

Select dealerships also had opportunity to order a Pace Car during this promotion. This was likely a ‘perk’ made available to preferred and high-volume dealerships (many dealers were not ‘in the know’). These ‘Born-As’ Pace Cars were produced in both the Van Nuys, CA, and Norwood, Ohio Camaro plants. Production figures for these were not tracked by Chevrolet in 1967, as they were in later years.

The Pace Car Registry, at this time, has knowledge of 218 cars. This includes restored cars, several ‘survivor’ cars, and projects in various stages. From this data it is estimated that roughly 400-450 dealer replicas, possibly more, were built between the two Camaro plants.

For more information, see the Pace Car Registry website at: www.camaroipc.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charley Maule,

Posts: 668 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Second signboard:

Questions...
  • The first few bullet points are vehicle-specific (hopefully obvious)…
  • I intentionally left out any details on the “How to Identify” FAQ. Also note I added a blurb about uncovering ‘fakes’…
  • Same question about the numbers (218, 400-450, etc.)

FAQs & Fun Facts…
====================

• YES… It’s a REAL Pace Car!

• NO… It’s not the ‘ACTUAL’ pace car.

• NO… It wasn’t used at the race. It was built in Van Nuys CA, and delivered to Courtesy Chevrolet of Phoenix Arizona in May 1967.

• How many were made? An exact figure is not known. Chevrolet did not track 1967 IPC production as was done in later years. Knowledgeable sources estimate the number to be around 400-450, making it among the rarest first-generation Camaros.

• How many are still left? To date, the Pace Car Registry has knowledge of 218 cars. This includes restorations, several survivors, and projects in various stages.

• How can you identify a real Pace Car? Certain combinations of production dates/codes & options (known to the Registry*) can usually identify a Pace Car. Cars used for race events sometimes still have blue numbers on the mirror or windows. A limited run of 21 cars for Canadian sale was documented by GM Canada. Owner documentation can help too (where available)!
* These can also help to uncover or identify ‘fake’ IPC‘s and discourage their creation!

• Whatever happened to the ‘ACTUAL’ Pace Car? After the race ‘Car #92’ was owned for many years by an Indianapolis Chevrolet dealer. It was later acquired by a private collection. Since then it has changed hands. It appeared at the Mecum Indianapolis auction in May 2022.

• Colors; Trim; Options:
◦ The ‘Marina Blue’ hood & side stripes were available ONLY on the Indy Pace Car. Standard stripe colors were black or white only.
◦ SS (performance package) and RS (Trim package) options, along with Bright Blue deluxe interior, and certain other options, give the ‘67 IPC Camaro its signature ‘look’.
◦ All Pace Cars were equipped with V-8 engines. Most were built as SS-350’s, thus making the SS-396 engine option rarer and more desirable. A very small number of RS-only cars (with 327 engine) have also been documented.
◦ GM work orders called for 2 ‘backup’ cars for “THE ACTUAL” Pace Car. Only one (Car #90) has ever been confirmed.

• Where can I learn more about these cool cars…?? Check out the Pace Car Registry website at: https://www.camaroipc.com/about

Victory Lane
Picture of MLakin
posted Hide Post
quote:
along with 3 specially-prepared track cars (One primary and two backups).

I believe that Chevrolet Engineering only prepped 2 cars for pacing duties, #90 and #92. Swapped engines, removed/magnafluxed/reinstalled suspension pieces, affixed grab handles etc.

Mike L.

Posts: 2529 | Location: Indy | Registered: 20 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
I like a simple signboard that conveys the particulars of the individual car on display. Lately I am doing backlit because it really "pops".

I have successfully managed the larger educational context with video and monitors at the display, the funny thing that I have noticed is even on a pan and zoom with a combination of still images, information and moving video, the average attention span of a spectator is quite limited.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Charlie, you may want to consider mention of the 21 Canadian sold pace car replicas and that they were documented by GM Vintage Services.

Posts: 1601 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback! If any more, please tack it on...

I made several edits above (red text). Originally I was striving for brevity, but not at the sacrifice of correctness.
quote:
Originally posted by festival:
I like a simple signboard that conveys the particulars of the individual car...

...the average attention span of a spectator is quite limited.

Excellent point and observation. I should have explained better... Intended use/format for these foils would be like appx 8.5"x11" (ish), maybe on cardstock?? for windshield display (e.g. below). I have an 'easel' board I used at the Nationals, but this was dramatically simplified from the epic history in my early drafts (with the help of my daughter- a Kindergarden teacher) !!!

Nevertheless, there are still quite a few who DO ask, and I find myself answering the same questions about the history over & over. Not that I mind! ...but wanted to have some way of sharing the story if I need to take a break!

Photo grab from YENKO site... Scottsdale Pavillions (pop-up weekly event) 11/11