Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Pace Car Registry    after 32 years can you guys help
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

after 32 years can you guys help
 Login/Join 
In the garage
posted
My names Colin and I'm from across the pond ....
I've had my camaro for 32 years
Bought her in 85 & she had been muralled ,furred and drayloned....yuck !

I decided to do a nut and bolt restoration in 88/89...( back when the resto parts list was a few photo copied bits of a4 paper.) And no internet !!!
Spec is as follows
1967 rs/ss 396 325hp convertible th400 auto box 12 bolt rear,3.07 ration
white, white top , bright blue strato interior,blue nose strip and blue pin stripes.power steering , manual disc brakes, manual top, manual windows ( the 2 latter were converted to power by me during the restoration.)
I studied the 67-69 camaro fact book back then but I could never get to the bottom of the last 4 characters/numbers on my cowl tag
Reads as below

4N 5Y 061A

I would be grateful if you can offer any assistance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ColinH,

my cowl tag

Posts: 14 | Location: UK | Registered: 08 June 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
061A is the code the factory used for some Indy 500 Pace Car Replicas. You have that on your trim tag? Would love to see a picture. Please get us some more info so we can see if your car is on our lists or if it is new to us..

Welcome. Please tell us more

Tom

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Mine for reference

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the garage
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom
attached a photo of my cowl tag...the tag was black along with my rear panel ,but I am not sure if this was done by the previous owner who "murualed" the car before bought it as he'd painted the wiper motor green !!
my vin tag is 124677N 20513* ( deliberately * out the last number btw) and is attached with the 'rosette' type rivets.
I have the th400 plate and axle casting and date stamp.

my 67

Posts: 14 | Location: UK | Registered: 08 June 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Wow. car looks amazing.. Where in the UK are you? I have one car on the list close to yours that is a 396 CID. Its owned by a well known collector named Cliff Earnst whom just sold a lot of his cars. N205302. I do not think we have you car listed yet so its new to us! Smiler

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Car fits in to the lists well. The other 396 close to yours is 105103 and I find it no coincidence that the cars are exactly 50 bodies away from each other due to the factory spacing needs.

In the garage
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom
thank you for taking the time out to help
I'm in Essex...
here's a bit more info
th400 tag
C. C
67C 427
CC67 10102

12 bolt rear with torsion bar ,round 2 hole
axle casting
NF

Axle code
BJ 03 06G1
so its a 3.07 gearing built 06/03/67..?

I suppose I was lucky to buy her as the previous owner was in the forces and was going to take it to Germany with him but it froze a core plug out & damaged the block, so it stayed in the UK, one of his mates briefly owned it & done the murals etc to it..the 396 taken out & he sold it to a banger racer( demolition derby )
I managed to locate a replacement all be it a later 67/68 396 & rebuilt it to std specs.
I am waiting of info as to what dealer the car originated from ( C*rvette directory ? )
On the drivers door was a service sticker from Maxton Chevrolet Worthington Ohio.
I tried to preserve as much of it as possible but it really faded out now.
I called them many years ago just in case they had any info but alas not...
Judging by Worthington Ohio to Indianapolis ( according to google ) is around 200 miles away, so in US terms I guess its localish !!!.
I'm still not entirely sure when you designate it as a pace car replica, were these GM offerings for use by people connected with the Indy 500 or were they dealer offerings ?
Mine has manual front disc , power steering,I only found 1 original rear belt under the rear seat.
Would this have had the floor gauges & tacho ? ( I do have gauges,tach & spare floor console)
The original am radio was still working last time I used her ( btw she has been in the garage for 15+ years ...childeren came along !! )
Its not the original windshield..sadly about 8 months after restoring her we had bad storms and the clay tiles from my mum & dads house ended up smashing the screen..Heart breaking does'nt begin to cover it..
Obviously I have some work to do..master cylinder (original) needs honing and refit.
Do I need more info etc if I want to join the 67 pace car owner part of the site ?

once again thanks...

Interior

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Welcome Colin,
GREAT TO HEAR from you and congratulaions. There are alot of info to cover with you. So any questions feel free to ask. The "061A" is the designator for a pace car.Check the inside rearview mirror for some decal numbers or residue from stick-on decals.

Posts: 907 | Location: Lubbock,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Is it C-1 or 0-1?

In the garage
posted Hide Post
hi Tom
its a 0
I doubt wether there is anything on the outside of the rear view as when I restored her everything was cleaned by me..
there were some markings on the cowl and I remember some crayon type letters either on or inside one of the fenders.
I have some photo when I first got her but I don't think they'll show a good rear view mirror.
The white paint was the original, the guy just sprayed the murals over it..oh and sprayed the convertible top black, as when I scrubbed it the white was revealed , but I replaced it.
Let me know if there is any d.other info you may need

In the garage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom McGinnity:
Is it C-1 or 0-1?

Hi Tom
well found some old photo prints & magnified them 25x but I can honestly say I cannot see any sticker or marks on the rear view mirror.
However on one photo there appears to be a C and another character or number in bold orange on the firewall where the heater box would fix.
I have word that my vin shipping details are on their way.....

In the garage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Wilson:
Welcome Colin,
GREAT TO HEAR from you and congratulaions. There are alot of info to cover with you. So any questions feel free to ask. The "061A" is the designator for a pace car.Check the inside rearview mirror for some decal numbers or residue from stick-on decals.

Thanks Michael
well found some old photo prints & magnified them 25x but I can honestly say I cannot see any sticker or marks on the rear view mirror.
However on one photo there appears to be a C and another character or number in bold orange on the firewall where the heater box would fix.
I have word that my vin shipping details are on their way...

my 67

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
Hi Colin,
Nice Camaro. Did you buy the Camaro there in the UK? Sorry to hear the original engine is gone. It looks like you are doing a wonderful job in restoring her.

I bought a 67 396 SS/RS Convertible Camaro in the UK about 11 years ago from a guy in Brentwood that is about 12 miles from you. I was wondering if you have ever seen it in your area or any of the car shows. Mine also has the Turbo400 with manual front disc brakes.

Posts: 2069 | Location: Sacramento/Auburn area, CA | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Colin. Does your VIN plate in the door jamb have an embossed delivery date ?( example 4 07 )

In the garage
posted Hide Post
Hi
Not that I can see just
chevrolet 00
124677N20153*

* there is a number there.......

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Hi Colin - welcome hello

I'm from the "other side of the Pond".

Nice to see yet another car to come out of the woodwork.

You have a lot of reading to do of all the old posts - there is so much information you can learn from there and then ask questions. Cheers

You will enjoy this great group of guys with so much information.

Any more pics??

Posts: 2766 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the garage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Colin. Does your VIN plate in the door jamb have an embossed delivery date ?( example 4 07 )

Hi Tpm
Just got paperwork from NCRS. Production date 04/10/1967
Dealer code 403 Zone 9
Mahlon Maxton Chevrolet Worthington , Ohio
Matches the service sticker on the drivers door.
So they are around 180 miles from Indianapolis, would they have used a dealer this far away as a supplier ?

In the garage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColinH:
quote:

Hi Tom
Just got paperwork from NCRS. Production date 04/10/1967
Dealer code 403 Zone 9
Mahlon Maxton Chevrolet Worthington , Ohio
Matches the service sticker on the drivers door.
So they are around 180 miles from Indianapolis, would they have used a dealer this far away as a supplier ?

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
The long and the short of it is that if the car has an embossed delivery date on the VIN tag and its origin is the Chevrolet Indy Zone Office then it was for sure used at The 500 for official duties. This by NO means diminishes the awesomeness of your car. WE have not seen any significant market value increases for Festival Commitment cars to an extent that you would be disappointed.
---Cars that went straight to dealers are often found to be the cars that were shown in the showroom for the duration of the spring time etc. They were almost always considered promo or special cars and the factory codes you have confirm your cars pedigree..
If I were you I'd Google the heck out of the dealership name and see what pops up. Search away for original owners and try to get vintage pictures if any exist...

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
discussion about the dealership

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Reading this I would suggest chasing down the Maxtons and seeing which brother ordered the car.. 10 bucks ( pounds ) says they will remember the car or have pictures.

In the garage
posted Hide Post
Aparently Mahlon Maxtpn passed away in june 67, I understand that the original showroom is now an ice cream parlour.
As regards any disappointment on its heritage or value of my Camaro...how could I ever be either 32 years ownership , took my now wife out on our first date in her 31 years ago & when my wife and I searched for our first ....and second house there had to be space for or had to have a garage that's the value I place in her ..
When we visited the States around 90/91 I had a set of plates made with worthington ohio at the top and bottom !
Plus I have found a great web site and guys like yourselves who love their cars and want to help other owners.
Tom thanks for the onfo btw.
I'll post up some more photos soon
Just repaired my clock ( contact points..) gave the workings a clean and so far after 72 hours on test has lost around a minute...not bad for a 50 year old item...if any ones interested I'll do a little piece on the repair...& the freebee contacts sent to me by a company in the UK...

In the garage
posted Hide Post
Well guys an update to my shipping and dealer info from the CR /GM register.......it wasn't until I studied the info more closely something didn't seem right....yep it wasn't my VIN , in fact it was entirely different !!
124378L348718. ???? Mahlon Maxton Chevrolet Worthington Ohio
I've emailled them and they have apologised and they have sent out another in the post.
Clocks been on test over a week , deliberately dropping the power to it then leaving it for an hour or so then starting it...minor adjustment and its keeping great time.

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Colin did you get the correct shipping report?

Posts: 2766 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the garage
posted Hide Post
Hi Geoff
sorry for the delay
yes I did get the correct info and it is from Mahlon maxton chevrolet in ohio.

I emailled 3 different members of the current dealership bearing the name also used their online chat to ask & not 1 bothered to reply....this is a dealership that promotes about its 20 odd years of car meets !!!

not sure if anyone can throw any light on this...
if I write/email the American equivalent of the UK dvla (vehicle licensing & registration ) with the VIN tag number of my camaro would they be able to tell me who first bought & registered ownership of my camaro?

i am sure there was a post on here about a guy whose uncle owned a 67 camaro and years down the line re discovered the car and found that his uncle had owned the car using this method..