Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  Norwood Discussion    Norwood Gathering in 2014?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norwood Gathering in 2014?
 Login/Join 
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted
I am getting requests for information on what is up for this year....

The retirees are considering another event but as of now there is nothing concrete to report. Complicating matters a bit is the recent sale of the 1969 era GM parking deck where the previous two events were held. The initial legal negotiations just to get permission to do the event there took months to arrange in advance of the 2012 gathering.

Stay tuned. If and when something is announced you guys will get first shots. I think there is more of a chance of a micro 1 day event happening with a few owners/cars and roughly 400 retirees or so at a location where the cars can be displayed indoors.

I want to avoid any chance of repeating the 2011 rain event Big Grin

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
PHIL what time of year might that be on?

Posts: 2769 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
July-September of this year if it happens. Big Grin

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Keep me posted if something comes up.

Im sad I never got to attend the earlier ones. Frowner

Posts: 2769 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
OK Here we go.. We have a free event planned at the legacy GM Norwood Parts wharehouse on August 9th.

This is a joint micro event planned by the UAW and GM in conjunction with an open house event where you will be able to display your car, tour the facility, meet current employees of GM and meet retired Norwood workers.

Cars attending (that I schedule) will get a preferential display area. This is an outdoor event so plan accordingly for the weather.

Some Background: The GM Parts warehouse was located at the Norwood plant until 1965 when it and its employees were relocated to another nearby location along with the Norwood Zone office which then became the Cincinnati Zone office.

If you would like to participate send me a PM.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Planning for the August event is suspended at this time due to the untimely passing of UAW 674 president David Harris. David worked the lines at Norwood as a UAW member and later as a supervisor for GM. After the closure in 1987 David continued working through his retirement ultimately running for and being elected the president of the active UAW 674 while technically still in retirement.

A car hobbyist had no better friend than David.

Always quick with a smile, words of encouragement and ready to help car owners meet the people who built the cars of NORWOOD.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that Phil! Keep us posted please

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
So very sorry to hear. Frowner

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
We are Back on! I have met with the new UAW 674 President and also received a call from a Senior Regional GM Executive today.

The exact details are still being worked out but the date is August 9th in Cincinnati.

There will be a special display area set up for the cars attending in support of the Norwood assembly plant. More to follow soon. This is a free to attend event, and GM will be handing out awards as well.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Phil , I again can not make this one.

Could you please post pics?

Thanks

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Pictures.. No problem!

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
The event details were finalized today. In conjunction with the GM Family Day at the GM Cincinnati Parts Distribution Center GM has agreed to host a special tribute display in honor of the legacy production contribution made by the former GM assembly plant located in Norwood Ohio. Until 1965 the parts warehouse was part of the Norwood assembly footprint. With the 1967 "F" car expansion the warehouse was relocated first the Sharonville and later to its current location in West Chester.

GM has authorized me to seek out interested and enthusiastic car owners for a special tribute display. Display cars built in Norwood, are welcome as well as owners that have cars built at Norwood's sister plant in Van Nuys. Likewise Norwood "B" Body owners are encouraged to attend as well.

The tribute display area has a 20 car capacity, However if needed there will be an overflow display area in the general cruise in area.

Advise ASAP to join the primary tribute display and for host Hotel information and the discounted rate code. Hotel has ample trailer parking too.

Schedule:

Friday Meet and greet at the hotel--all day. Restaurants across the street - great location.

Saturday cars stage at the warehouse at 9;00 AM. The event consists of:

Norwood Tribute display
GM make Cruise in
GM New car display
Race vehicle display
GM Hosted Plant tours
Kids events-Pony rides face painting, bounce houses etc..
Food.
DJ
Local community display's Fire Department, Police etc.

and invitations from GM going out to 1500 local Norwood Retirees inviting them to the event.

And anyone can attend. You do not need to bring a display car.

Address:

8752 Jacquemin Drive, West Chester, Ohio, 45069 Event open from 11-3 to the public

Come and meet the men who built your car. This is a rain or shine event and is outdoors so please plan accordingly.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I wish I could come. I'm super busy with family stuff. I hope some Camaro enthusiasts can make it and ask great questions of the retirees! Its a small window of time we have to grab all this first hand info!

Thanks Phil!

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
As Tom said.

There are many questions I would love to ask them too.

As well as thanking them for building our fine cars.

Good Luck Phil

<1969L89Jeff>
posted
Can't make this one. Make it great!
Jeff Masishin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
It takes time for GM to get things moving but I am pleased to report that I just got confirmation that 1500 invitations to the event are going in the mail today from GM to both the Salary and Hourly groups representing the Norwood Alumni.

We are on for next Saturday August 9th...

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
bump