Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  Norwood Discussion    Los Angeles Vs. Norwood.. whats the difference?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Los Angeles Vs. Norwood.. whats the difference?
 Login/Join 
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted
So up until last year I didn't own an LA built Camaro that I could closely examine.. How many cars can one guy have right racer

When I took the interior out to fluff the car I started to notice quite a few differences.. Now I may be wrong on a few so PLEASE if anyone can help then chime in..I don't want to dictate, I want to learn

I bet some of you guys know a bunch of differences as well Cheers especially you LA Pacecar owners

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
My pictures are home.. I'll post up this evening checkered flag

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
The one thing I remember is the wiring harness extension at the firewall engine side. My understanding is the reason it was used was so line workers did not need to bend over as far to join in the front harness. It was a section about 12"-16" long. Again my understanding is it was only used at the Van Nuys plant. Anyone know more about this item?

Posts: 1602 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
I am not near to my car(s) at the moment and will look more closely at the wiring harness on my next visit.. But I do seem to recall, many years ago, seeing an extension between one of the underhood harnesses & the fuse block... remember wondering why they didn't just plug the harness directly into the fuse block??

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
sory I never posted.. bad night in Boston.. I'll try again tonight

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Back floor well. The first glaring issue is a "mig " style plug weld joining the brace and the floor even though you can clearly see successful spot welds like a Norwood car? Both sides by the way. Obviously factory as the overspray covers it

I thought the floor plugs went in last? there is some overspray on the chaulking? Not sure what to think about this

Red carpet jute glue? Next pix will show what looks like they used it to seal the 1/4 window kidney plates?

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I simply do not understand the reasoning why they sprayed this red stuff in such a strange pattern on the kidney plates? Are they trying to keep water out from somewhere?

More important.. the diagonal brace held with 6 bolts is clearly bare steel and installed after.. The Norwood cars have this piece covered in overspray as if it was installed except to complicate things the bolts are NOT painted.. like maybe the plate was left on the floor out of the welding shop but not bolted in because its a bitch to install the 1/4 window with that in place? But LA may have simply brought the braces further down the line to a different work station for install after the 1/4 window mechanism etc? confused that would explain the bare steel

thoughts??

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Ignore area #1 as that is spray paint someone used to respray the door top that was all chipped...

#2 is interesting.. please correct me if I'm wrong but I do not think Norwood cars got that white chalking on top of the door hinge? I think Norwood smeared black dum dum a little bit under the hinge on occasion but not this neat strip of chaulk?

#3.. look at that drip run from the weatherstrip adhesive.. pretty shabby for the LA boys

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I'm very confused by the LA black out proceedure or this car is a bad example that had real issues and went to offline repair.. Look at the paint drip on the hood latch circled in white?That component was gray phosphate when new not black paint dipped. Now look at the black paint hap-hazard on the back side of the valance? The circled bolts holding the bumper guards on do not have paint on them? so was this done on the line? At what point and why?. The engine bay is loaded with black out areas like that and I can't put my thumb on it.. also the valance has no code written on it like most Norwood rigs

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Clearly the did not spray the fuel tank with that heavy sound deadener like Norwood always did. They put it in the wheel wells only but did do a good job of covering the tank and straps with black out paint

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I would LOVE to create a listing of all the alternate vendors that supplied Chevy with parts.. This Bright Blue carpet tag of Trenton weave came from a company in Compton California, Allen Industries.. I doubt thats the vendor for Norwood Ohio..Love to know

who knows what? racer

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Carpet tag from a Norwood car.. Cheers

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Norwood Gas tank.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Splash of white on Norwood car Cheers

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Norwood Splatter.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
I've been giving this some thought; but boy it's hard to come up with anything you guys aren't all over already... Phil maybe you should write a book or something (just kidding)...

2 things that occur to me (will post up anything else I can think of);

1) Tom in some prior posts you had mentioned the trunk strikers are mounted & painted white-- Both of my 2 LA cars had the trunk strikers attached after painting and both are bare steel. Pictures on request...

2) On my 04D Pacer I am still wondering for any feedback on the Wind Wing lettering I am CONVINCED was there originally... though not yet corroborated by anyone (see https://camaropacecars.com/eve/...0019733/m/6661042436 )

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
afterthought==> Tom; my LA 04D convertible had the same "red stuff" sprayed in the same places under the armrest & rear side covers. Can't speak for the coupe, because the armrest/side covers haven't been off the car yet... Also you'll notice the diagonal brace looks just like yours...

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if this was a special paint to prevent oxidation between the two metals. One looks galvanized and body is steel. Just a thought. Maybe some of the practices they did in LA were carryover from practices they did on the other cars they were building at the time at the plant. In 67 in Norwood they were only doing Camaro, but not LA.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
bump