Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Mechanical    Car #90 needs a motor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car #90 needs a motor
 Login/Join

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted
Larry Clary is looking for a 396 for car 90. Who can tell me the actual block # thats in 92 right now and the casting date? I'd like to help him find something but don't really know what to look for as the original motor in these cars is not original...

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Racing
posted Hide Post
There were two 396 blocks used in 1967. The early block is 3902406. The block that was phased in around June was a casting 3916323. For a festival car, it would be the 406 block

Posts: 178 | Location: Rochester, NY | Registered: 04 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Thanks.. I think the hot ticket to remake car 90 ( remember that is the back up car and to my knowledge was spec'ed the same as 92).. We would need to explore what exact engine is in 92. I remember stories about the engine is a 325 hp and has a full size Chevy cars VIN banged in it. I need to speak with Tony Lucas I suppose.. Brad are you tight with him?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom McGinnity,

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
PS. I'm not a Big Block guy as is evident by my ignorance here hammer

<GaryB>
posted
I have a correctly dated 406 block and brand new NOS GM forged crank. I think that I may have other parts as well.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Great.. I'll send an email to Charley today and ask him for Tony Lucas' number so we can get the skinny on 92's

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Lee 93
posted Hide Post
Forgive me as the 67 stuff is new to me. did they have a car 91?

Posts: 2797 | Location: Northeast side of Indianapolis | Registered: 15 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Hopefully this link might help?? I thought I remembered some previous discussion of this in an old post I saw somewhere...

https://camaropacecars.com/eve/...9733/m/213105902/p/3

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
There are many number gaps. To my knowledge EVERYTHING Chevy donated to the cause was numbered.. pickups, Impala Wagons, Camaros, maybe even the tow trucks etc.. Never really took the time to lay it all out like that to be honest confused

Racing
posted Hide Post
Sorry I did not know this was the back up Pace Car. If so, would it be restored as a 375 hp engine ? The square port heads also changed during the model year. I have a service dated 3910 carb. Hard to find genuine 3910 - probably restamps now. I know Ken Lucas, don't know Tony Lucas.

Posts: 178 | Location: Rochester, NY | Registered: 04 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brad.. the info will come.. yes its an oddball thats why I ask. The car needs to be restored with a motor like 92 in my opinion as that is what was intended and decided for The Race.. but I don't own the car checkered flag

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
#359272 - 02/26/09 03:09 PM Re: Chris Piscitello's 1967 L78 Camaro "The BATCAR [Re: TimG]
Charley Lillard

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Woodland, ca. US
My # 92 Pace car was built as a L78 4 speed and then converted to a L34 auto so it never really was a L78 Auto.

<tnpace>
posted
tom
I have spare 396/375 406 block .030 over
4-bolt main. It is a late mid May of 1967 casting date.
he can call me at 615-812-1314 and dicuss if it fits the bill
Tyler

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I've not heard back about the actual engine numbers on 92 yet

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Charley was kind enough to furnish these pictures. This is the kind of motor needed: