Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Mechanical    Dash lights not working
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dash lights not working
 Login/Join

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
I picked up a new switch but for reasons I can't explain think the old switch is ok, so I put it back in. I removed the dash cluster and checked for power at a light and had nothing (using a voltmeter). I do have the grounding wire at the top of the cluster. It comes down from the top center screw location and does a wrap around at the high beam indicator light, then looks to head down to the cluster as there is another bare molded wire heading that way. I checked to see if I have power at the wiring harness that plugs into the dash. I do not seem to have power there.
I do know both headlights work correctly off the switch.
Maybe Peterpar could send me a private message with his phone number and I could have the phone in hand and meter in the other hand at the car.
Obviously electrical isn't my strong point.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
I pulled the dash cluster apart. I checked continuity on the printed circuit board and it seems good. I checked for power at the cluster wiring connection. All seems good except I have no power at a tan wire in slot #10. I removed the fuse panel inside and have continuity between the dash cluster tan wire and where it connects to the bulk head.
Does it sound correct that this tan wire is to provide power for the dash lights? Asking anyone who has read the wiring diagram and knows it in their sleep.
A little over a year ago I had an issue where the car would not start. It turned out to be one of the bulkhead connections under the hood had popped off. I'm wondering if I could have a similar situation here. I know looking at the engine compartment, the tan wire come out of the right hand side connector.
I'm guessing either a wire has come out of the bulkhead fitting under the hood, or the bulkhead fitting has come disengaged.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Racing
posted Hide Post
I can't believe your still having problems with your dash lights.
My bulk connector has come loose before and caused some problems so hopefully thats what it is. Sorry I couldn't contribute.
If anyone ever has a problem with dash lights not working, The answer will be in here from A
to Z.

Good luck

Posts: 209 | Location: Millcreek, Utah | Registered: 20 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
David,
Just out of curiosity, have you turned the knob back and forth to see if the
lights dim and get bright again? Maybe it was in the dimmest setting or off position so the dash lights didn't come on.

Posts: 2069 | Location: Sacramento/Auburn area, CA | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
I spent some time on it, several times actually. Never got the lights working but think I have headlights working correctly again. I tried a new switch, which could also be faulty. I need to remove the switch again and check it with a meter. With the AC duct below the switch getting it in and out is harder than the average 67 without AC. I will let you know what I find when I get around to it again.

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
bump

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post