Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Mechanical    Dash lights not working
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dash lights not working
 Login/Join

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted
I'm having an issue with dash lights not working. I know interior lights work when doors are opened. Headlights also work off of the headlight switch, and interior lights come on when when switch is in proper position. But I have no dash or gauge lights at all. Any ideas?

Posts: 1602 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Aren't the dash lights tied into the tail lights? If I remember correctly, if your tail light fuse is blown your dash lights will not work.

Posts: 418 | Location: Springfield, Illinois | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of PeterPar
posted Hide Post
David, were they working after the restoration? Can you get one the sockets to where you could use a test light to see if there is power at the light? If there is, you might want to check that the instrument cluster back is grounded. If there is no power at the socket, trace the circuit back to the light switch looking for an open wire or bad contact in the switch.

Posts: 1017 | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
Picture of MLakin
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a learning experience I once had. When I lived in Phoenix my neighbor/buddy had a '70 GTO 455 H.O. I offered to fix his non-working dash lights. Started at the fuses, then switch, and worked my way back to the lights only to discover every single bulb was burned out! Guess that's how you turn a fairly quick easy job into not so much of one. DOH!

Mike L.

Posts: 2529 | Location: Indy | Registered: 20 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<His 67PC>
posted
If they are all not working, it would sound like a problem that would be common to all of them (no power). I have had problems in the past when I was using 67 Camaros as daily drivers with the dash light dimmer dial having intermittent problems. You could turn it and depending on where it was located, it may or may not light the dash lights. That condition required replacing the switch.

Keith C.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<#57>
posted
do't forget the ground. rust,no clip,brokenwire?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the responses. I do think they were working after the restoration. I checked all the fuses in the fuse panel and they are all ok. I had my daughter assist and make sure brake lights, running lights and turn signals all worked, and they do. I'm leaning towards the light switch. If I remember correct part of it has a coiled wire that as you turn the knob, makes the interior lights brighter. The gauges all work and I'm thinking if the ground for the console was interrupted, I'd have gauge issues (clock, ammeter). I think my easiest solution is to pull out the headlight switch and try it with a meter, or install another working headlight switch to test it.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
David, have replaced several 60's-70's Chevy's headlight switch for just this problem, though I would check the ground first.

Posts: 2961 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Yes.. that reostat ( however its spelled ) that dims the interior lights may well be it.. spin it back and forth a bunch of times at varying speeds.. if the lights pop on at all or even for a moment at any brightness that will be it. The switch comes out pretty easy.. theres a little button on the switch itself.. reach up there and push it in while pulling out the knob all the way out on its stick.. then unscrew the bezel nut and weasel the switch out from the dash.. once free you can unplug it easier.test with a replacement switch before reinstall

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Racing
posted Hide Post
David,
Did you ever figure out your dash lights? I had the same problem and it was a ground issue as mentioned in the previous resonse.

Posts: 209 | Location: Millcreek, Utah | Registered: 20 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
No, I never got back to it. I had a look for a spare switch and couldn't find one, so I gave up for now. Where was your loose ground?

Racing
posted Hide Post
My loose ground ended up being a pinched wire under the drivers side sill plate and that was a short fix until I replaced the entire ground wire.
My gas gauge didn't work either. I haven't had a problem since replacing the wire.

Good luck

Posts: 209 | Location: Millcreek, Utah | Registered: 20 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Z11Weaver
posted Hide Post
I'm having the same exact issue. Everything worked fine about 2 months ago. Dash/guage and brake lights are out.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Racing
posted Hide Post
Have you checked your fuses?

Victory Lane
Picture of Z11Weaver
posted Hide Post
Yes Sir, Even cleaned the contact up just to be on the safe side. I'm sure it's a grounding issue. I just have to find the problem.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post