My Forum Home Page
1999 Camaro Parade car

This topic can be found at:
https://camaropacecars.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3100015833/m/7241058956

08 March 2017, 06:04 PM
<GL Lowman>
1999 Camaro Parade car
Hi guys,

Have any of you ever seen a 1999 Camaro Convertible Z28 with NASCAR 2000 decals? It has a number 10 behind the license plate. It belongs to my brother and I. Inherited from our Dad who just died in January. We never had the story on this car such as what track it would have been used at. We are trying to find any info that we can. Car only has 4,500 miles on it.

08 March 2017, 07:40 PM
Lee 93
I'm guessing 1999 brickyard 400 at IMS. Send me the Vin and I can probably get more info. I've not seen the NASCAR 2000 or red bow tie on the fender but who knows.
08 March 2017, 08:24 PM
<GL Lowman>
Thanks a bunch!!
VIN
2G1FP32GX2139212

Thanks again,

Gary
09 March 2017, 12:21 AM
PeterPar
The stripes are definitely from the 1999 Brickyard 400 and the VIN is in the same range as other known cars. The number behind the rear plate would be the track number the car was given at Indy. The pictures below shows a 1999 Brickyard Camaro with it's complete graphics.

Not sure where the Nascar 2000 or the bowtie decal came from. I do remember a 99 owner saying some of the Brickyards were taken to Bristol after the race at Indy, but that should have been in the fall of 1999.
09 March 2017, 09:43 AM
<GL Lowman>
Thanks for the photos and comments PeterPar. Those are the exact stripes on our car. The absence of the Brickyard decals would seem to point to the car being used again at a later race. We'd assumed it had been used at a year 2000 race due to the fender decals. We do have the original grill for the car by the way. We plan to sell the car and would like to have the history correct and not falsely advertise anything. If it is a Brickyard car, are any of you aware of a source for the Brickyard decals? It's basically a brand new car inside and out.

09 March 2017, 10:30 AM
PeterPar
quote:
Originally posted by GL Lowman:We plan to sell the car and would like to have the history correct and not falsely advertise anything. If it is a Brickyard car, are any of you aware of a source for the Brickyard decals? It's basically a brand new car inside and out.

Many of these cars had the graphics removed after the race, so very small number of the 99's still have the graphic package. I know of maybe five or six cars with the full Brickyard graphics.

Here's a photo of a letter written by a GM executive that gives some background of the cars used in 1999. This document states there were 45 Z28's,4 V6's and 2 SS' used that year. This should be correct except for the SS total. The 2 SS' were given to the race winners that year, 1 at the Brickyard 400, the other to the Indy 500.

As for the graphics, I'm not sure what may be still available. Things like the windshield banner and Flags over Winged Wheels should be, but I doubt the stripes or the door graphics are. The best way to find out is by calling Graphik Concepts to check. You'll need to have the VIN to purchase any that still available. Here's a link for the contact information.
09 March 2017, 11:44 AM
<GL Lowman>
Great info! Thank you sir! Now I'm starting to envision a scenario where an original owner bought it for his wife, she didn't like the racing decals on it so he took it off for her. Then, when they went to sell it, he tried to "NASCAR it back up" some with the NASCAR 2000 decals. Seems plausible. Looks like we have number 10 of 45.
09 March 2017, 12:02 PM
PeterPar
When and where did your Dad buy this car? I have records of 5 1999's being located in Texas at one point. Some with, others without the graphics.

I've also been looking at the Texas Speedway to see if they were used there. So far, I can't find any video or photos to confirm that.
09 March 2017, 12:48 PM
<GL Lowman>
Thanks. I did some looking on youtube too recently. I have my brother checking a file to see if there is any documentation we have. I personally don't know what year he bought it or from where. Will see if brother comes up with any more sliver of detail. Dad loved racing and cars. He had 8 vehicles. '57 Chevy Bel Air convertible, '56 Chevy Bel Air hardtop, '55 T-bird, '65 matching numbers Corvette, 2005 Siverado with a Joe Gibbs Performance Package and a couple of El Camino's. Some vehicles we've found some history on and others not.
09 March 2017, 01:00 PM
<GL Lowman>
Update- It looks like Dad bought the car in February of 2001 at Keystone Chevrolet in Sand Springs, OK. It had 3,474 miles on it at the time. Odd thing to me is title says it was FIRST titled January 29, 2001. Was it in the possession of NASCAR prior to that and only used for on track work??????
09 March 2017, 01:33 PM
PeterPar
Hard to know for sure. If the car had not sold until 2001, it could have been still on the MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin) and never been titled. A lot of these cars sat for a while before being sold to public. That could be especially true for a car that has kept the graphics intact. Many people were not interested in graphics and that plays a big role in why there are not many cars today with the graphics. Dealers removed them just to sell the car.
09 March 2017, 01:53 PM
<GL Lowman>
Makes sense. In the last hour I've been starting to think that perhaps it was first utilized in the '99 Brickyard 400 and then served some other duties for NASCAR in the 2000 calendar year. Hence the NASCAR 2000 decals. Oh, if those seats could talk, right?

Oh, also I've messaged the Graphics company that you linked for me. Gave them the VIN and explained.
09 March 2017, 02:35 PM
PeterPar
quote:
Originally posted by GL Lowman:In the last hour I've been starting to think that perhaps it was first utilized in the '99 Brickyard 400 and then served some other duties for NASCAR in the 2000 calendar year. Hence the NASCAR 2000 decals.

It is my understanding NASCAR never controlled these cars. They had an agreement with GM to provide track support vehicles to the race events as per needed. GM usually contracted a local company to oversee the cars during the race weekend and then they were dispersed through the dealer systems after the race. The only instances of carrying over cars to another event was when they couldn't meet the delivery date. Having said, in 1999 5 cars arrived too late to be used that year. They were held at an Indy dealer until the 2000 Indy 500. They were decaled for that event, but never used. The graphics were stripped, re-decaled and used for administration purposes at the 2000 Brickyard 400. This is the only time I'm aware of cars being used in different years. Doesn't mean it didn't happen other times.
09 March 2017, 04:32 PM
<GL Lowman>
Interesting. That graphics company lead you gave me responded that they didn't have anything on our vehicle.
09 March 2017, 09:42 PM
Lee 93
I'll compare the car fax tomorrow with other 99 brickyards. My 99 photos are not online yet so let me dig out the 35 mill. Do you know yet what you plan to ask for the car?