Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Camaro Pace Cars  Hop To Forums  Misc. Camaro Pace Cars    1998 Camaro Z28 Convertible Pace Car for Las Vegas Motor Speedway in 1998/1999
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1998 Camaro Z28 Convertible Pace Car for Las Vegas Motor Speedway in 1998/1999
 Login/Join

Victory Lane
Picture of SMKZ28
posted
In 1998 and 1999 the Las Vegas Motor Speedway in Las Vegas, Nevada used a silver 1998 Camaro Z28 convertible as their official pace car. I have found footage showing that it preceded the official Monte Carlo pace car on the opening pace laps during the Sam's Town Las Vegas 300 Nascar Busch Series event held on February 28, 1998 and the Las Vegas 400 Nascar Winston Cup event held the following year on March 7, 1999. I also believe it was used during the parade laps for the Las Vegas 500K Indy Racing League event held on October 11, 1998.

The interesting thing about this car is that it still exists with its Las Vegas Motor Speedway lettering on the doors. It seems to be currently for sale in Florida here: http://www.tradenetautos.com/v...let-Camaro-&id=91660

Posts: 5040 | Location: Homer Glen, Illinois | Registered: 13 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of SMKZ28
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5040 | Location: Homer Glen, Illinois | Registered: 13 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of SMKZ28
posted Hide Post

Victory Lane
Picture of SMKZ28
posted Hide Post

Victory Lane
Picture of SMKZ28
posted Hide Post
Here you can see the car on pit lane in front of the Monte Carlo Pace Car and the Nascar Busch Series grid prior to the Sam's Town Las Vegas 300 on February 28, 1998. I took pictures while watching the footage on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWw1Ai7Jmw8

Victory Lane
Picture of SMKZ28
posted Hide Post
Sam's Town Las Vegas 300 February 28, 1998

Victory Lane
Picture of SMKZ28
posted Hide Post
Prior to the Las Vegas 400 Nascar Winston Cup event held on March 1, 1998 the drivers were apparently paraded around the track in 1998 Camaros. In this picture you can see Dale Earnhardt in a red 1998 Camaro T-Top. I found it here: http://www.superchevy.com/feat...0107-dale-earnhardt/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SMKZ28,

Victory Lane
Picture of SMKZ28
posted Hide Post
The silver 1998 Camaro Z28 convertible was also used during the Las Vegas 400 Nascar Winston Cup event the following year on March 7, 1999. See footage of the event here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUtgLR4fBts

Victory Lane
Picture of SMKZ28
posted Hide Post
Las Vegas 400 March 7, 1999

Victory Lane
Picture of SMKZ28
posted Hide Post
You can see what looks to be a white 1999 Camaro RS convertible in front of the 5 contenders for the Winston No Bull 5 million dollar give away promotion as well as the silver 1998 Camaro Z28 convertible prior to the Las Vegas 400 on March 7, 1999.

Victory Lane
Picture of SMKZ28
posted Hide Post
The silver 1998 Camaro Z28 convertible Las Vegas pace car is now for sale at the Tampa, Florida showroom of Gateway Classic Cars for $11,995. The write-up for the car states,

"This stunning car was a pace car at the Las Vegas Speedway from 1998 - 2002. From there it made its long trip to Tampa where it has been maliciously taken care of by its one owner. This number matching original mile car only has a little over 81,000 on the speedometer. This one is painted in a beautiful Sebring Silver Metallic and trimmed in its full pace car decals. Under the hood of this beast is none other than a 5.7L V8 LT1! Its then been linked up with a smooth shifting 4 Speed Automatic transmission transferring roughly 345 HP to the back wheels! From there we head into the interior which is a very nice and plush gray cloth. This stunning 1998 Chevrolet Z28 Camaro Pace Car has been equipped with AC, AM/FM Radio with Cassette, Convertible Top, Power Brakes, Power Steering, Power Locks, Power Seats, Power Windows, Tilt Wheel, Seat Belts, Driver and passenger Airbags, Cloth Interior, Radial Tires and Aluminum/Alloy Wheels."

See the ad for the car, including pictures and video, here: http://gatewayclassiccars.com/...let/camaro-S794.html

In the garage
posted Hide Post
It was seriously cool to read about a car I wasn't aware of, and see pictures of it in multiple settings!

I've encountered a few unusual pacecars in my digital hoarding over the decades. Here's a unique one.

2000 Nashville Speedway Pace Car

4th Generation Camaro History
https://sites.google.com/site/brangeta/

Posts: 5 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 08 December 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post