Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Lounge    This Guy's Dealing With Mecum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This Guy's Dealing With Mecum
 Login/Join

Victory Lane
posted

Posts: 907 | Location: Lubbock,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I don't want to sound like a jerk but it has been my experience that the auctions are #1 too big to control the whole atmosphere and #2 Auctions are where people who have cars with something to hide ( rebodies, fake tags, added options etc ) go to unload them with hopes of getting their money back and screw the next guy

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
I watched the first couple of minutes so as I understand it--the whales get to pick cars that they want in advance and the house establishes the best path forward to get them the car at the best price possible.

The allegations presented are that the car was essentially pre sold to the whale and the house then sabotaged the car's visibility potential in order to drive other bidders away thus providing the best value to the whale who expressed interest in the car. But nobody twisted the seller's arm to come off the reserve right??. The internet bidding was kind of shifty here and when conditions changed he could have slapped the reserve back on but he had to be quick.

This is interesting because on the other hand where there is no pre interest the house then employ's shill bidders to get the car to the reserve then they loiter the bidding trying to suck real money to the block...if no real money presents then the car goes out to the post sale lot.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Begs the question ...why put your car up for auction and risk low ball sales or no sale at all with the real expense of getting there and spending the weekend etc? Why not just act normal and offer the car for sale, sell the car and be happy? I honestly don't get it.

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
I always wonder if the so-called internet bids/bidders are for real, or just smoke & mirrors? In the video it seemed like the presumed internet bid was dismissed without explanation... almost like it was fictional? (which would make sense if it was?)

Is there any way they presume to legitimize the internet/phone input, or is it just hearsay?

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Some general observations (aside from the subject itself)...

1) TIMING is, I think, a huge factor. 2 years ago the market was 'superheated' by many accounts. This year's auction results were all over the map, no clear reading on up/down or sideways. Linking 2 recent articles from HAGERTY market analysis (for your reading pleasure)

https://insider.hagerty.com/tr...matic-auction-themes

https://insider.hagerty.com/tr...ngly-nuanced-market/

2) Not wanting to sound condescending, but... Reviewing this year's B-J docket, seemed to me they were stretching a bit to fill the agenda?? Seemed to me there were a lot of cars I would have expected to see in the Auto Trader, not at a high-end auction? ...many at Kissimmee also?

https://www.barrett-jackson.co...-F-350-PICKUP-265187

https://www.barrett-jackson.co...ONNEVILLE-GXP-261963

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post