Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Lounge    Tom & Mikes Street Freak
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tom & Mikes Street Freak
 Login/Join

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted
I'll make this introduction short and sweet: These last few winters I have brought my O-1 car home to do some work to the sheet metal etc and to show my 14 year old son the ropes. He's a busy kid spread thin with sports and school and girls Roll Eyes but I wanted him to at least learn mechanical skills if anything.. No pressure: just giving him the chance for something to reject roll
It hit me like a ton of bricks a few months ago that he doesn't have any interest in working on a car that is to be my opus.. Its WAY too anal, time consuming and expensive...I'm over the top with it and thats just no fun for him.
An opportunity fell into my lap with an abandoned project I've known of since 2001. After some though and a discussion with Mike about changing gears and making a hot rod that he can help craft there was a big attitude change around here that bordered on actual excitement.. Wink
So with 2 years to go before his license we are going to put this car back together...

Circa 1972 ish Cop

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Just so happens the car is an old drag car out of Texas & Arizona.. Rust free.. great options but butchered belly. check it out

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
The picture above was the day after we cleaned this garage out and found all the remaining parts in 5 different locations. We forgot our camera for day one Mad Basically the reason the car didn't sell before me was people are very scared to take on totally disassembled projects.. and the car came with zero drive line..
Mike lumped all these parts into this upstairs office.. My friend Chet is letting us use this bay for the project.. Its an abandoned hot rod motorcycle paint shop...THANKS CHET Big Grin

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Feast your eyes

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
My man and I ready to rock. The good news is that the body shop is across the street so we can roll the shell over for weekend work and get out of Dodge by Monday morning Cheers

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Theres gotta be 3 dozen drilled holes in the firewall, floor and rockers from stuff like trunk mounted batteries, straight up shocks and roll bars.. I did not have to strip the car but whomever had this thing was no craftsman Roll Eyes

Very bad man torched out the back of the wells WITH the shock towers

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
8 hours later and Mikes learned to drill, cut, nibble, grind etc... even learned to drive the forklift.. This is what its all about...

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I'll post about what we are hoping to accomplish and our driveline choice soon racer

Supporter 2007
Victory Lane
Picture of L181A L35
posted Hide Post
yea Awesome that you guys are doing this together!!! Neat car from the options on the tag!!! Too bad the driveline is gone!

Posts: 1696 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
NO kidding.. Thats the reason I'd been passing on this car so long.. But now its HOT ROD time to a legit RS SS 4 speed deluxe interior console gauge car...........

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
BTW Sierra Fawn paint.... Thats a rare one

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
Excellent project Camaro for you and your son. Does Mike want to keep the Sierra Fawn color and Black Vinyl top? Cool color combo! Remember, we all came from humble beginnings and did things in our past that we wished we didn't so we learned from them. Your son couldn't have a better teacher! Once he goes through this he will have some idea how much work goes into them, but best of all how much fun they are to drive! Thumbs up!

Posts: 2069 | Location: Sacramento/Auburn area, CA | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Thanks T! Big Grin Yes.. I don't want to get ahead of myself but the car is getting shot in Sierra and then the outsides getting some sort of custom 70's treatment..( hint: His highschool colors are blue and gold ) The underlying though being if later in life he chooses to make the car " normal " its an outside sand and shoot to make the car original paint color...

Yes.. I think vinyl tops going back on.. was looking at mod tops etc... can't find blue-gold-or wheat colors though...

Might have to buy the boy some bellbottom pants when this rig is done roll

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Early thoughts are this paint style...

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
But the center would be the style of the Magic Powders gold band... and Magic Powders tire combo