Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Lounge    Special Paint
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Special Paint
 Login/Join

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted
I was doing a little surfing and came across this article online from the Chevelle group.

http://chevellestuff.net/qd/paintinfo2.htm

There was some interesting stuff from Jim Mattison there and some that intrigued me was this bit ....

"The "1001HA" is the pricing code for the special paint. The charges for a solid color special paint would vary from no charge (1001AA) to $125.00 (1001HA)."

What was the special paint code found on the 67 IPC build sheet we know of? Is it the same as the code above? It may refer to the pricing rather than anything else??

Posts: 2769 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
Picture of MLakin
posted Hide Post
Yes they had the 1001AA special paint code. It was also on the window sticker. We discussed it a bit in a thread on the private owners board.

https://camaropacecars.com/eve/...0041994/m/7761059136

Mike L.

Posts: 2529 | Location: Indy | Registered: 20 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Mike , yes I had forgotten about that post.

This is the first I have heard the paint code explained in the way it is on the Chevelle site.

I think we need to talk to the person who was there at GM The article refers to.

If possible I would like to obtain copies of the paperwork discussed in the members topic.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Yes.. This guy may have insight as to WHAT COLOR our cars are for certain.. I can't believe this mystery still exists...

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
Picture of MLakin
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't we need to have that 8 digit number mentioned in the link in post 1? Also is seems if the paint was a non-standard color they put a quart in the glove box with the paint code on it. Any 0-1 guys ever seen that?

Mike L.

Posts: 2529 | Location: Indy | Registered: 20 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
No quarts.. no codes.. but it reminds me that we should all look at surviving POP's like mine and pete Sgros among others for #'s that may translate to a paint code.. I've never thought to do that and pops have lots of #'s sometimes like stock numbers and dealer inv #'s.. Could have skipped right over a paint # not knowing!

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Going back to the clear coat stories ( that have to be rooted in some smeblence of a legit story.. maybe the code is in fact smply show finish.. amazing mystery

Victory Lane
Picture of MLakin
posted Hide Post
One thing we know for sure, the pin and nose stripes certainly weren't the standard black or white in color.

Mike L.

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
right! but that kink is that the C-1's have that as well... age old UGH confused.. I like the POP idea and am digging mine up when I get home Wink

Victory Lane
Picture of MLakin
posted Hide Post
Correct, seems to me the 1001AA refers to the special 0-1 white paint, and the F & SO number refers to the non-standard stripe colors that the 0-1 and C-1 REPLICAS had painted, "PAINT PER F & SO PACE CAR REPLICA."

Mike L.

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Yes. The mystery to me is the redundancy.. why a dash and a special paint code and a COPO code.. any of those should have sufficed on its own.. but some cars have 3 others at least 2..

Victory Lane
Picture of MLakin
posted Hide Post
Be careful Tom, using the pigeon holed "COPO" nomenclature can ruffle feathers. As stated in the thread linked, "special paint" was a "Fleet or Special Order." And I think there are only two things, the special paint code and the fleet order. The dash just indicated there is a F & SO # associated with that build, even though not the entire code got stamped on the TT (first and last of that fleet code build? i.e 050A, 050B, 061A etc.) So the fleet code has to be on the paperwork, AND if it had special paint i.e. "show paint" or nonstandard color it would need that code as well, in this case 1001AA.
In a nutshell the dash IS part of the COPO/F & SO code IMO. C-1 cars only have the dash and/or F & SO and not 1001AA special paint correct?

Mike L.

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Yes.. but the " only thing " the car has special according to some is the blue stripe and pin.. so why fleet codes?

My POP simply has a #3 in black marker, a code P227 in red ink and the penciled in 78.. None of these match my known dealer invoice # of N300037 so it must just be an internal Bill Kuhn code for passenger car # 227 of the year? The #3 is a mystery.. maybe the third car received at Kuhn to prep.. no codes penned inside the POP anywhere... makes no sense because a bodyshop can't mix code 0-1... what a mystery my man.

Victory Lane
Picture of MLakin
posted Hide Post
Well Chevrolet "special ordered" some cars for Indy so wouldn't they used the FLEET AND SPECIAL ORDER process they had in place? And didn't all F & SO builds have numbers/codes assigned? It is interesting when you factory the identical 050A cars with the later special order codes that had more variations in options. Wouldn't we all love to lay eyes on those documents!!!!!!

Mike L.

<His 67PC>
posted
So your P-O-P has 0-1 in the paint code position (top line, second set of characters)? As far as Fleet Code, that is a grouping of vehicles ordered together. It doesn't mean they were built the same. I know it was 25 years later, but my 92 B4C was in a fleet order with 7 other cars that were all different. I also have seen at least 4 67 IPCs with the same fleet code on the trim tag. If they were only at the start and end of a group build, there were several groups with the same fleet code.

Keith C.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post