Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Lounge    A very intersting car
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A very intersting car
 Login/Join

In the garage
posted Hide Post
This is my 67 Camaro that is close to a pace car replica. I was driving through Indy the weekend before the 500 and talked to a guy with a pace car hat on and told him about my car. He mentioned it could be a blue top which I was not familiar with and decided to check the internet and found your site. My car is close except for having a blue top and black bumble bee stripe. It is an RS/SS 350 4 speed convertible with bright blue interior, blue top and black bumble bee stripe. I am the second owner and bought it from the original owner around 1983. I hate to admit it but it has been silent for about 25 years needing an engine rebuild among many other things. It is basically all original except for replacement lower compression heads(mine had a valve guide break and were then stolen from the garage they were stored in).

I have a picture of my car with the pace car decal on it that came from the dealership. It was originally sold from Bill McDonald Chevrolet in Nashville, IN. The picture is of Bill and his father with I think a 1928 Chevy. I stopped and met Bill in the late 80’s and he told me that at the time dealers in the area were allowed to put the pace car decals on the car as a promotion but if it wasn’t an official replica they had to take them off before they could sell them. He had the picture on the wall of his office along with the original dealer invoice. I talked to him a couple years ago and he didn’t remember telling me that but at the time his memory was failing.
I was a member of the US Camaro Club in the 80's when it was headquartered in Dayton and went to several car shows at the time including one at Norwood before it closed where we were able to tour the plant. It was really cool to see where my car was made but sad knowing the plant would be closing. Someday I will get this car back on the road but it will take more money, time, and space than I have right now. 4 more years of college to pay for then I can think about it.

Posts: 8 | Location: Southern Ohio  | Registered: 30 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Thanks for signing up Paul!

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13406 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Paul ,

Great story on the car.

I would wonder if it was actually used at Indy? Being that it was there in State at the right time and decaled up and they were short of cars and all?

Obviously you love this car as you have kept it for so long. The heads are easy to find and even if you have to wait another 4 years its no real delay considering how long you have already waited.

Keep the pics and the stories coming please.

I saw the build sheet posted somewhere else too , just cant remember where?

Posts: 2766 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Did it get posted back in the big club days in one of the Camaro Corral type magazines? Those where pretty damn good for the times and Paul was a member of one

Posts: 13406 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
Picture of MLakin
posted Hide Post
As a fellow "non-dash" car owner that is tooo cool!!! Check out how low they put the decals on.
Welcome aboard Paul!

BTW Was that this year and during the pace car reunion, what kind of hat (camaropacecars.com), happen to know who you spoke with? Pacecar Professor aka Jim H?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MLakin,

Mike L.

Posts: 2529 | Location: Indy | Registered: 20 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the garage
posted Hide Post
It was this year I talked to the guy with the Pace Car Reunion hat and I think it was the Sunday before the race. I didn't get his name but when he mentioned blue top pace car it peaked my interest. I think it was a Wendy's or McDonalds where we met.

Posts: 8 | Location: Southern Ohio  | Registered: 30 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2007
Victory Lane
Picture of L181A L35
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the site Paul. Awesome story and car!!! Keep the photos and info coming as time permits.

The heads are a small item.

Tom,

I can't recall ever seeing a sheet like that before. Awesome!!! To think GM had that on ALL of our cars!!! One day we can hope they find the database or hard copy!!!

Mike

Posts: 1696 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
So cool to see! When I see a Car such as this one, I just can't help to think about the conversations that I had with Welday!

First Thought...... If it was up to Jack Bell and almost everyone I spoke with.....The Camaro Pace Car would of had a Blue Top and not a White one.

A 05A Build also is kind of late, which makes me wonder if the Dealership had already sold it's true replica therefore it needed to order another one after the actual Pace Car Ordering Deadline.....This is likely because Bell wanting at least one Pace Car at every Zone Dealership until after the race plus his demand that every dealership in his Zone should have a Car ready for use in the Festival Parade!

Any chance we can get a scan or better pic of the Vintage Picture??

Posts: 9137 | Location: Ventura, Ca. | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Thanks for pipeing up T.. I agree with all you have said

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 907 | Location: Lubbock,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post