Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Lounge    1967 Mod Tops!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1967 Mod Tops!
 Login/Join

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
It seems a good used one with the feet are changing hand in the 300.00 neighborhood.
I've only seen two real one ever on ebay.
I've seen countless dealer ones.
I have only seen one 69 rack before...That one is super rare!

My photo background is waiting for a certain white car to show up so it can all be used again! Wink

Posts: 9137 | Location: Ventura, Ca. | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<rogerh>
posted
Steve

The molding around the rear of the top is corded material, the same as the top. It covers the screws holding the top down. The cording final is something like a convertible top bow binding end clip.
The material covering the pillar is a separate piece of material with a seam at the top of the windshielp. There is also two (2) seams going from the windshield to the rear window in the same location of the OEM vinyl top.
Thanks to this thread I have a new interest is saving this top when I restore the car.

Roger

Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks to this thread I have a new interest is saving this top when I restore the car.

Roger

Roger,
I bet that material or at least that patter is still out there!!!!
I love that odd ball car of yours! Big Grin
That is truly rare!

Posts: 9137 | Location: Ventura, Ca. | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
I just received my Nov. 07 Hemmings Muscle Machines mag and on page 16 they show 2 1/18 th scale Plymouth Cudas with Mod Tops. What timing. Ed.

Posts: 443 | Location: Whitehall, Pa | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<1967Z28>
posted
There used to be a '68 or so Barracuda across the street from my work back in the late '70s that had a mod top on it (floral pattern). I think they were most popular on Mopars. I never recall seeing one on a Camaro before viewing this thread.

Regarding the AMT Camaro stuff, there were two '67 Z-28s sold new out of Hal Watkins Chevrolet in Oxnard California with most of the AMT stuff on them (no flares or side pipes though). Both were Butternut Yellow, one with candy blue stripes and the other with candy orange stripes. I have interviewed two people who worked for AMT and who did the two Hal Watkins cars. One of them still has the molds for the scoops and maybe the trunk lid. The trunk lid supposedly used the understructure from the original metal lid with the fiberglass being molded to it after the original outer skin was removed. There was a '68 AMT Camaro just a block or two down from my old high school which never budged. After several years, some friends of mine and I stopped to see if we could buy it but he wouldn't sell. Just a few months later the person moved away and it was never seen again.

Tony, you've gotta find me another one of those AMT brochures!

-Jon

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing Jon!!

So, both the 67 Z28s survived???

I have never seen another one of those catalogs before I stumbled across this one.

Did Hal Wakins Chevrolet also sell that "Phase" Camaro with the side pipes??
There are a couple of older local guys that talk about some sort of Billy Bad Ass 67 Camaros being sold locally that had side pipes and such.

<tech4/2>
posted
I kind of hate to report this in fear of what might happen to "The Weave". Roll Eyes

Naugahyde has a very similar vinyl in their current 2007 catalog it is called "Verona" in (8) frightening colors. I think the "puke bucket" is optional on every sale and no doubt would be needed.

<1967Z28>
posted
Tony,

One of them is rumored to still be around but I don't know that for a fact. I have never heard of the side pipe Camaros from Ventura/Oxnard area that you are talking about but it certainly is possible.

I think Jack Crawford Chevrolet in Ventura was part of the Yenko network at one point so they were selling some hi-po stuff.

-Jon

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Jon,

When you were down here documenting Andre's Special Paint 68 Z, did you meet my friend AJ??

His father is an old local Street Racer, he told me his very first Camaro was a "67 Phase Car"
He described it as being something he bought out of High School in 1967. It was a 396 side Pipe car bought from some local area dealership. I'm wondering if it may not be an AMT car?!
I haven't spoken to them in years, this may be a good time to "Catch up" and see if he has any vintage pictures!
I believe he told me he did at one time.

<1967Z28>
posted
Tony,

No, I don't recall meeting somebody named AJ. Of course, he may have been there but when you park a special paint Z in front of my face that I've never seen before, my recollection powers of who was there are going to be seriously challenged. Smiler

You should definitely check back in with him if that's possible. I'd like to see pics of what his dad actually had.

-Jon

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, I don't recall meeting somebody named AJ. Of course, he may have been there but when you park a special paint Z in front of my face that I've never seen before, my recollection powers of who was there are going to be seriously challenged.

He would of been driving a Blue 69 that day..... Do you remember my ride that day...

Hint!

It's the same color as #1 Big Grin

I'll get back in touch with him the next chance I get.

<1967Z28>
posted
Tony,

Yes, I totally remember your ride that day (after all it was a '67). I even have a few pics of it somewhere. Nice ride but can't blame you for stepping up the the pacer.

-Jon

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Jon!

That was the best driver 67 that I have ever owned! Smiler
It never failed me!! We made a handful of Parade duties as well!

<rare4k>
posted
here one that was on the T/C sight

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Holy Cow!!!!

A dragster Mod Top!!! Eeker