Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Lounge    1967 Mod Tops!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1967 Mod Tops!
 Login/Join

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
By the way...Check out the reflection in the window. Doesn't it look like there may be more to this display...or maybe another display right in back of the photographer??!!

Posts: 9137 | Location: Ventura, Ca. | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrance Weaver:
I remember the days,hell, woodstock is in my back yard!Remember the NYS thruway being closed because of trafic.Stuff is cool but over the top!I like history,its just that this is so vivid! Big GrinLove the stuff from the era(seen the stones 5 times!)remember doobies being smoked in public veiw!Aint age great??
Duh Weave

Hey Weave,
You're right about these cars being over the top and almost too funky for the streets. If I were to see one of those Camaro's back then I would have said "What the hell did they do to that nice looking Camaro?" Even back then it was a drastice change from the original GM version, but originality back then had a whole different meaning, it was "how different you could make it look". I am sure I don't have to tell you that. To make a car look more wild and cool looking was the "in thing". We look at it now and still say "What were they thinking?". In some ways it is cool to see these Camaros still around or in pictures. It reflects a world that was changing and wanted change. The market was trying to keep up with that and cater to the younger generation. It was a wild time and very vivid images of the pictures Tony has posted. It is like going down memory lane for some of us. Wink

Posts: 2069 | Location: Sacramento/Auburn area, CA | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<rogerh>
posted
Tony thanks for the information on the Mod Tops and here are some pictures I took today.

Roger

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<rogerh>
posted
Because I don't know how to put more then one picture on a post here is another pic.

Roger

<rogerh>
posted
And another.

<rogerh>
posted
Here is the Firewall tag you ask about in the other thread.

Roger

2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Roger,
Nice car! I really like the bench seat automatic cars. Couple questions about your top. The molding on the rear sail pail, is it a plastic molding that is taper cut on each end, with a rivet in it to hold the end down, or is it a formed metal molding that was painted in the "mod" pattern?

Also, on the front windshield post, the vinyl that runs down the post, is it all one piece connected to the top portion, or is there a folded seam a inch or two down the post from the top of the windshield?

You have quite a unique car, thanks for sharing the photos. January 67 was a great month for building Camaro's! Steve

Posts: 2961 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Roger!!

Thank you, Thank you and Thank you!!! Smiler

What an awesome ride!

Your car looks like it's in excellent condition!!!!!
Your tag confirmed what I was suspecting....Mod Tops were not always true Vinyl roof cars! As a matter of fact I now think I almost bought one just about 4 years ago. The car is still local!
Here is a scan of the instruction sheet. It's a four page folder that references the trim molding is avaiable through Chevrolet if needed.... That got me to think...Could these mod tops been standard cars too?!
Well it appears so!

Posts: 9137 | Location: Ventura, Ca. | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
Tony,
Did you see the difference between Roger's top and the top being installed on your advertisement? Your ad shows the top being installed almost half way down below the rear window moulding and Roger's top stops right at the lower chrome moulding for the rear window.

Posts: 2069 | Location: Sacramento/Auburn area, CA | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Wow!!!

GOOD EYE BALL!!!

I didn't notice it!

I'm willing to bet that it's likely that some other shop may have done the Norwood car's Tops.
The transportation to Long Beach Ca. for just a Top Installation would nave been too much!

I wish we had more samples of cars to make a call on this observation.

I'm going to track down this local car if it's still around.
I'm 99% sure it's a California car... The other thing I really remember was when I was checking out the tag that I was freaked that someone actually went to the trouble to add a vinyl roof!!!!
It had your typical mid to late 1980's maybe early 1990's fluff job!

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Ok!!!!

Sorry I have to do this one Weave!!!

Your going to need a new bucket!! Wink

On this page of the Instruction sheet, You can see the Choices available to the people who wanted a Mod Top.
Now I know where I first got that thought that non vinyl top cars may have been made Mod Tops....
Weave!!
I'm glad for your sake that the picture is at least in Black And White.....
I myself...would of loved to see this one in color!! Eeker

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bluetoppace,

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Check out that luggage rack!

Another non factory item.

It looks like the same design as the one that is found on #33.
It's from this catalog!

Hey Weave!!!

Don't you have a set of Horns like this??? Big Grin Razzer

2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Tony,
If you notice, all the photos you posted of the MOD tops were done in the manner without the tail under the rear window. Only example of the tail piece was in the instructional photo you posted. It is a lot less workto cut the molding at the window, instead of dropping lower like the factory style top installation, which has the tail. The real problem would be make the fold seam under the rear window. The pattern of the MOD top would get all disstorted trying to make these seams for the tail. Hard to explain, but the reason I would know this is Eeker I went to a vinyl top installation school in 1973. While never installing a MOD top, I did install a lot of aftermarket tops including the molding as shown in both applications. In 1973/74/75, there was a similar fad that had wild tops like these, but instead of dyed in patterns, they were raised embossed flowery and paisley patterns. The tops were a little heavier and thicker, and ugly as hell. Whenever possible, it was sooooo much easier to install the rear molding in the short manner, running from the drip molding to the rear window molding, and not under the window. Also, if you had the right tops, you would not have to make the fold seams on the windshield pillars. I really don't remember these MOD tops on the Camaro's though.... Steve

Posts: 2961 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
The pattern of the MOD top would get all disstorted trying to make these seams for the tail. Hard to explain,

I understand what you are saying!

I wonder if they recommended that a buyer of such a top should go with a non original vinyl roof car??
That should of mad it easier to deal with.
The samples of the material that I have is super thick stuff!!! It is truly heavy duty material and the patterns are apart of the material not just dyed.

Here is the rest of the instruction sheet... Steve, this should give you a good flash back!!! Smiler

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
And for anyone that is thinking about ever adding one of these tops to their vintage ride...