Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Lounge    Some cowl tags are better than sex...
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some cowl tags are better than sex...
 Login/Join

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
WOW.. same date same Bigblock.. maybe exports?

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
I would bet there is a few Camaro's built the same month and week or more specifically ONE DAY where their cowl tags have an "LS" on them before they noticed it and changed it. This is why I love collecting pictures of cowl tags and looking for the patterns that appear on them. Not only patterns in between VIN numbers, but groupings of possibly big blocks or certain interior colors. It's all interesting!

I also noticed the alignment of the "732" on each tag. The "3" looks a little higher on both tags. Call me weird, but I love this stuff! Big Grin

Posts: 2069 | Location: Sacramento/Auburn area, CA | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom McGinnity:
WOW.. same date same Bigblock.. maybe exports?

Tom,
If these were exports they would have a seperate tag rivited on the firewall, which I did not see on these cars.

I think the "LS" is just a mistake that was not caught on a few Camaro's on that day.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom D,

Posts: 2069 | Location: Sacramento/Auburn area, CA | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<IPC 93>
posted
I have no idea how the tags are stamped out. But I know when humans are involved in auto assembly, mistakes are quite common at times. If an operator selects the codes by hand selection, then mistakes would happen. As for the numbers/letters not being lined up. Same situation could occur. May be a thumbwheel setup for stamping, and one wheel character was not fully locked in place. Would be interesting to see the machine that stamped them out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <IPC 93>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I have searched High and Low for a picture or decription of the machine.. EVERY! plant had one and yet..no picture or manufacturers name.. very odd..

I did get a good lesson in Carlisle from a fellow that enlightened me that the hidden VIN's were not "banged" on the car like the engine pad numbers were... they were squeezed on with a two jawed machine that held the back side of the sheet metal stationary while the numbers were pushed-pressed into the metal!

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Mistake makes the most sense I agree... but I like to hope its something more than that... I don't know what; but who doesn't like new discoveries Wink

<IPC 93>
posted
Very interesting about the hidden VIN applications. When I hired in at GM, I had just turned 18. I used to spend my breaks walking around the plant to watch various line operations, and equipment functions. It all fascinated me. And he we are today, still finding it interesting. Smiler

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
I found another cowl tag with an 06B date and a "LS".
The body number is a little bit further out though.

Victory Lane
Picture of MLakin
posted Hide Post
Not so sure about it being a mistake. All the outer portions of the TT came pre-stamped, and all the inner portion was stamped later. One would assume that there is a border limitation on the machine that stamps the inner portion info. The last character of the LOS body number always seems to line up with the second character (or top color) of the paint/color code and IMO defines the right border limitation of the inner stamped info. With the longer body numbers as production progressed it seems to me that there simply wasn't room to stamp the whole "LOS" and not interfere with the body type/year code to the left, or exceed the border limitations on the right. In other words, my guess is they took the "O" out of "LOS" simply because there wasn't room for it on that particular line of the TT.

Mike L.

Posts: 2529 | Location: Indy | Registered: 20 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,
I am not too sure about your theory on the spacing on the end. There are plenty of cowl tags after the date "06B" that would prove your theory wrong. Right now, it seems that all these "LS" tags only happened on the second week of June. The spread between the body numbers so far is 16,878. I am curious to see if any other "06B" cowl tags show up from the Los Angeles Plant. I am sure CRG might have an answer since their database is a lot bigger than mine. It might be worth to shoot an email to them and see what they say about this anomoly. Wink I have sent an email to CRG about this topic. We will see what they have to say on it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom D,

Victory Lane
Picture of MLakin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MLakin:
In other words, my guess is they took the "O" out of "LOS" simply because there wasn't room for it on that particular line of the TT.

In this case the "they" being whoever was stamping out the tags on that shift in that time period. That person may have decided that in order to maintain a space between the body code and body number, and that line to not be too crowded, that they should just leave off the "O". Just saying that with three of them pictured right here in was more likely deliberate. I do see what you're saying though. As I now look at some of the tags on the early pages in this thread there are tags that (Geoff's for example) that blow the margin theory out of the water as the last character is to the right of the last color code character. I just don't think it was necessarily a mistake, just a different person doing it a different way. Or maybe a new guy was on the line doing it that way for a while until they noticed it and told him to change how he does it and not leave off the "O". Of course that would make it a mistake of sorts wouldn't it. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MLakin,

Mike L.

Posts: 2529 | Location: Indy | Registered: 20 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Its a real curiosity thats for sure.. I like stuff like this

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Mike , you raised a point which I hadnt noticed before regarding the location of the top colour versus body number locations.

When you said mine was different to all the other tags it struck me as odd.

I checked out the location of all NOR ones I could find and they ALL had three digits of the body number off the end of the top colour.

I checked the location of all LOS ones I could find and they ALL had one digit of the body number off the end of the top colour.

It checked the location of all LS ones I could find and they are ALL on the end of the body number , which may indicate the "O" was left out by mistake....

Just my thoughts from a quick look , nothing 100% researched or anything Big Grin

Posts: 2766 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
Geoff,
Can you share with me the other "LS" tags that you have? I would be intersted in seeing them. Thanks! You can PM me if you want.

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Tom , I dont have any LS tags , just using the three examples you have posted.

Posts: 2766 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post