Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New CDN pacer found
 Login/Join 
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted
In previous posts I was looking for Peter Janda, with the conclusion being that Peter passed away. From his passing the estate dealt with dispersing his collection of cars. One of these cars was bought by a private California collector who has been doing research on the car. It is a confirmed Canadian big block car with original drivetrain and some pictures from back in late 60's.
Pictures to follow. Please welcome Mark to the forum.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark , welcome to the family .... Cheers Please tell us some more about the car

Posts: 2766 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
MARK! Can't wait to hear more.. Not a lot of those babies around and even fewer active here at the site.. Sure would like to see your car mocked up like they were at Mosport! Nobody has recreated one yet as they all put the Indy decals on! Might you be the first!

Love to see some pics of the car then and now

Welcome

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Lee 93
posted Hide Post
That would be cool! checkered flag canada flag

Posts: 2797 | Location: Northeast side of Indianapolis | Registered: 15 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Awesome!!!!!!!!! :-)

Posts: 9137 | Location: Ventura, Ca. | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
I can only see part of the cowl tag, like the top 10% of the tag.

Posts: 2961 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
Me too! I don't see the whole cowl tag.
Can you resize it for us please!:-)

Posts: 2069 | Location: Sacramento/Auburn area, CA | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MuscleCar Fan>
posted
Hello Everyone and I'm happy to be a part of this Forum. Thank you David Par for sharing your extensive knowledge on these special Pace Cars.

I'm attaching a number of pictures and a little history on this particular 1967 Indy 500/Mosport Speedway 396 Pace Car.

The black and white picture is from December 1968. The other two are from the Summer of 1969. Here's a little history on the car that I got from the original owner who is still alive. I was able to locate her through her daughter on LinkedIn.com. I was also able to get the Ministry of Transportation Archived Ownership History that outlines all owners since new.

The original owners (Eve and Karl Bauhofer) bought the car in December 1968 from a local dealer in Hamilton Ontario on Barton Street. Karl is since deceased but Eve and her daugher are still residing in the Toronto area. Eve doesn't exactly remember the name of the dealer, but we're still researching that. Eve has fond memories of the car and remembers the night she and her husband were driving down Barton Street and they spotted this car under the lights. Her husband Karl was a "car guy" as she put it, and they fell in love with the car when they saw it. The next morning apparently her husband traded in their Impala convertible and drove the Camaro home. The car was given the nickname of "Dinky Toy" by Eve as she grew up in the UK. In the UK every child had atleast one very good quality pocket sized toy car that was refered to as a "Dinky Toy," hence the nickname. She fondly remembers a time in the early 70's when her and her husband were driving the Camaro on a major highway and a fellow in a similar car pulled along side of them. She recalls her husband and him nodding at each other and they then proceeded to race for quite some distance. She doesn't recall who won. They also owned a pony at that time and she recalls going to a local farm on many occaisions to pick-up a bale of hay which she tied down with rope in the trunk. As time progressed, they had a daughter (Amanda) who used the car in high school and College until it was finally sold in the late 1980's to some Camaro enthusiasts in Burlington, Ontario. The car was then purchased by an avid Camaro collector and I purchased it from his estate. The car remains 100% matching numbers throughout including engine, transmission and rear end. In fact the drivetrain has never been out of the chassis since it was built. It is 1 of 11 built, fully documented and numbers matching throughout. This special Camaro now resides in California and a restoration is planned for the future.

Thanks,

Mark

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <MuscleCar Fan>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MuscleCar Fan>
posted
Summer 1969

Summer 1969

<MuscleCar Fan>
posted
Summer 1969 Picture 2

Summer 1969 Picture 2

<MuscleCar Fan>
posted
GM Documentation Page 1

GM Documentation Page 1

<MuscleCar Fan>
posted
GM Documentation Page 2

GM Documentation Page 2

<MuscleCar Fan>
posted
VIN Tag

VIN Tag

<MuscleCar Fan>
posted
Trim tag

Trim Tag

<MuscleCar Fan>
posted
Block VIN

Block VIN

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
If there was any way to blow up or zoom in on the second picture, you would be able to read the dealer info on the trunk lid. Maybe City Chevrolet from Hamilton, Ontario. Thanks for posting and keep us up to date on any progress to the car.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Lee 93
posted Hide Post
nice photos. Big Grin

Posts: 2797 | Location: Northeast side of Indianapolis | Registered: 15 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
What a great set of pictures!!!

Posts: 871 | Location: Port Orchard Wa. | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Dinky History

If they were Brits they must have used the word Dinky as we use the word Matchbox or Hotwheels.. Very cool

Don't remote mirror cars show an F or something on the trim tag?

This car and its history are upper tier jems.. What a car this will be... Seriously well documented.. a score for you. I hope you restore her to pristine!

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<RickDawn67>
posted
Mark,

Awesome pictures and documentation! Welcome aboard Wink

Your at the right place for unadultrated information, any help you need with the restoration, and chating with a great bunch of musclecar (Camaro) enthusiests.

Your cars a rear gem! I'm sure David has brought you up to speed on what we have on these Canadian run of 06C cars which are quite rare.

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark,
Welcome to the site!
Really nice documentation and photos you posted! I look forward to the restoration pics like everone else.:-) Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 2069 | Location: Sacramento/Auburn area, CA | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Welcome Mark!

What an awesome set of photos! Great car with wonderfully preserved history!

Wonder what the deal was with those dual line white walls in 1968? Were the factory tires worn out before the original buyer bought it? Wonder if dual stripe tires were an option in 1968, and these were swapped from a new car? Be interesting to see what wheels are on this car today (coding).

Posts: 2961 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
The dealer in Hamilton was

""Maurice Carter Chevrolet-Oldsmobile in Hamilton is what you’re looking for. Owner was Maurice “Mo” Carter. I knew Mo, he long since passed away. Carter raced Trans Am Camaros for years back in those days, drove himself most of the time. The dealership was into high performance and were the Eastern Canadian distributor for Firestone racing tires.""

I got this from the #1 knowledgeable person for this era on racing in Canada, Lance Hill. The quote marks are cut and pasted from his email return, after I asked him if he knew this dealer. Lance is just a great guy, and very helpful!

sse

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
VERY SEARCHABLE GUY THROUGH GOOGLE

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
COOL