Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Canadian Pace Car Discussion    Breaking News about the Canadian "Pace" Cars, Fresh Ideas and New Discoveries..
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breaking News about the Canadian "Pace" Cars, Fresh Ideas and New Discoveries..
 Login/Join 

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Found an authority on the Expo 67 Worlds Fair, and he told me for some reason GM ignored the Canadians after being huge at the New York Worlds Fair 3 years earlier.

This sounds odd! Eeker

Posts: 9137 | Location: Ventura, Ca. | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what's the next Canadian Centenial festivity or race track your looking at?

Since we know the cars were shipped in June, wonder what was going on with them until August 27th, the day of the Grand Prix? Probably some good pictures and stories of them somewhere in that timeframe.

Posts: 2961 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Maybe the same people at Chevy had to pull off the Indy 500 gig and were home on the couch sleeping it off when the Canadien gig started...

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Pat Railsback>
posted
So Foyt was in Canada at USAC events about the same time the 06C cars were delivered there? I really don't know what the big deal is over what car he ended up with as it wasn't the car GM prepared for Victory Awards. GM prepared one and put the keys in his hand at the banquet then A.J. drove off in it. What, if anything, he traded it for seems irrelevent even IF GM was involved with the deal as a polite host.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Pat - Your opinion sure is a strange way of looking at it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts first As it has been shown from other Camaro Pace Cars which were given to the race winners - there are usually many people who would like to own such a car. Again that is just my opinion..... Cheers

Posts: 2769 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Pat - what do we know about the car GM prepped would also be a good topic if we know anyone who knows something about it ... Big Grin This might be a good topic for the Owners room blahblah In fact I am going to start two new topics in the Owners room (1) The car GM prepped for AJ and (2) The car AJ actually got. Anyone care to join me in there hammer

Posts: 2769 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone care to join me in there

I'm in! Smiler

Posts: 9137 | Location: Ventura, Ca. | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Here is a great photo I recieved today from a friend in Canada. Proof that these cars were being used as soon as July 1 for race duty at Mosport. I will paste part of the email he sent with the photo. He had no idea there was no way the car could have been used on the 17th of June, because this is when the cars were being built and shipped to Canada. He also points out there is a readable license number visible. Can anyone in Canada (David Parr) do anything with this number?

Here is the pasted part of the email....sse

Steve

Attached is a photo that may be of interest showing Camaro pace cars at the Mosport "Telegram Trophy" race in 1967. It was an Indy car race held at Mosport in June 1967 but, due to rain, the race was postponed to July 1, 1967. The photo may be from the original race day (June 17th) or the later race day (July 1st). I found the photo here:

Posts: 2961 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
BTW, that is Tony Hulman in the picture.

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Eeker

Wow!!!!!!!!!!

What an excellent picture!!!

Any chance the guy knows the photographer??

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
I can try to trace back the plate, but chances are slim. Plates changed in early 70's.
Nice shot Steve.
FYI the pace cars are going the correct way around the track in this picture. I see "Esso control centre" on the pit area. This is the direction of race traffic, to the best of my knowledge from going to Mosport.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Nice pic Steve. Who is the kid in the pic? Might be the best chance of pics or info if needed....

2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
This accounts for at least 3 (cars with visible spoke wheel covers) of the RS only cars, and did anyone notice the Impala Wagon at the back of the pack?

2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any chance the guy knows the photographer??

quote:
Who is the kid in the pic? Might be the best chance of pics or info if needed....

The young boy in the picture is the one who has recently released this photo. I am trying to contact him at this time, but having to go through a double blind site to reach him. Can you imagine how many photos were taken of the cars during this photo shoot? Eeker

When I reach this guy (should be 45-46 years old now) will try to find out who was taking these photos. I have a real good idea who he is, and have been trying to contact this photographer for months...sse

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I flabbergasted by this photo. Steve you just keep churning out the shockers brother!

" Employee of The Month " Two months in a row Big Grin racer canada flag haha

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Is it possible there are 7 cars judging from the shadows? You da man,Steve. Priceless photos.

Posts: 907 | Location: Lubbock,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it possible there are 7 cars judging from the shadows?

Michael,
I am sure you are correct. Makes you wonder how many more cars were in front of the lead car in the photo. I had just counted the spoke wheel covers that really stick out from the wheels. Really need to talk to the then young boy in the photo. The other man in the Camaro besides Hulman is the boys father...

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
I see the picture that we need!!!! ( I think! Razzer )

Check out the guy on the second level...the very left of the image...... I think he's holding a camera!

All we have to do is find him! hammer

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
Those are binoculars Tony!Eeker Keep looking. Wink

Posts: 2069 | Location: Sacramento/Auburn area, CA | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Tom!!!

How about the guy on the second level of the tower under the word START!?? Big Grin Big Grin

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
He sort of reminds me of "Jack" from Jack in the Box. Big Grin You don't even see his head. I bet that's a heck of a view from up there or even on the top of that tower too! I was looking for the Pith helmet guys or is that for the half time show? Wink

Posts: 2069 | Location: Sacramento/Auburn area, CA | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Don't you just love these old photos??!!! racer

TIME FROZEN FOREVER!!!

My hat is off to you Steve!!!

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
Steve,
What does the inscription say on the photo?

2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Tom,
I can't make it out either. As soon as I talk with the "kid" in the photo, a lot of answers will be found.

2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Been wanting to get this posted, but holding it up for more info and photos. The young boy in the photo is John Bassett. He is of course in his mid 40's today. His grandfather,also named John Bassett, owned the newspaper, "The Toronto Telegram" and was the sponsor of the Telegram Trophy Race. He also owned one of the television stations in Toronto. As one would guess, the man the young boy is looking up at is his father, John Bassett Jr. All three of these men named John Bassett are Legendary Canadian businessmen, and professional sports sponsors. I have been in communication with John Bassett (the youngest one), and he has passed along some good information. He has also looked in on us here as a guest visitor, just to see what is going on.