Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Canadian Pace Car Discussion    Breaking News about the Canadian "Pace" Cars, Fresh Ideas and New Discoveries..
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breaking News about the Canadian "Pace" Cars, Fresh Ideas and New Discoveries..
 Login/Join 
2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted
Been making some calls, lots of calls, and chasing down leads, and have some new discoveries in the works about these 67 Canadian Parade Cars. That's what these cars were used for at the 1967 Canadian Grand Prix held at Mosport. The photo that I posted a week or so ago was of the Parade of Drivers held before the race. There are 11 cars in the photo, there were also 11 big block cars out of the 21 Canadian cars that we loosely refer to as "Canadian Pace Cars". You will have to make the mental leap, but IMO, this photo shows the 11 BB cars, every single one of them. The side graphics on these cars seem (no, there are different) to be different from the small block cars. I will show a photo with a partial of the small block door in a few posts down.

One more time I would like to show you this picture, as I will reference back to it with a supporting picture in another post. I learned today from the curator of one of the more prestigious museums in Canada, that in his opinion, this photo negative was printed backwards, and as he described the turn and area of the track with a numeric description, I would say he knows what he is talking about. Perhaps David Parr could verify this. Here is the picture again... I have left it in a huge format so you can see the side graphics better. It can be shrunk later..

Posts: 2961 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
I had asked about the flags on these cars, the ones it seems like may be different on each car. A very good gentleman that was at the race suggested they may have been sponsor flags, at least on one side of the car. Please examine the photo of the "Players" flag in the grandstands, and then the flag on the car with the line to it. The Canadian Grand Prix was really known as the "Players Grand Prix" as Players was the major sponsor of the race. Players is a Canadian cigarette company, and was a major sponsor of racing.

Posts: 2961 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Now examine the flag on this car, any similarities?

2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
This photo shows a small block Canadian car with a completely different partial logo, and no script on the quarters. Compare it to the inset "Players Grand Prix" official logo. Looks like a very good possible match. Definitely the was more than one design to the graphics on the Canadian cars.

2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Here is a copy of an old magzine article that has a couple lines in it about the Parade of Drivers in the Camaro's, If you can't blow it up large enough to read, PM your email address and I will send a large enough file for easy reading.

2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Here is my favorite picture tonight. It's been pointed out that Chevrolet sold these cars much quicker than might have been thought. Realistically speaking, the race was at the end of August (27th), and the new car showing for 1968 was less than a month away. We all know there were 1968 Camaro's already on the ground at many Dealers lots. I can only imagine there were 1968 Camaro's on the street the day the Players Grand Prix was raced. These cars were last years stock, and they had to go. Hope you enjoy this ad. I love it!!! I see this was my 1000th post, also my favorite!

2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Gonna throw this car in, as this is the Pace Car Site, and while we discuss and concentrate on the Indy 500 Pace Cars, there were other style Camaros pacing the races both stateside and in Canada. Just came up with this fabulous shot of the start of the 1967 Players 200 Can Am race, this photo is also a personal favorite of mine. Spinning out of the turn at the start of the race. What is that in pit lane as the cars start the race? Not a bird, nor a plane or a train, nope, it's CHEROKEE !!!

2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Let's start discussing the 67 Canadian cars, and keep looking for more new discoveries.. There are a lot of older guys out there that want to have their stories told, if only for one more time. Let's help them preserve their historical racing and pacing knowledge for the next 40 years. Steve

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Good job Steve. The exact type of decal used was the mystery. Mystery now solved.

Experts on the '67 Pace Car are found here.

And now the experts on the '67 "Mosport Camaro Pace cars" are also found here.

My Congrats to you! Big Grin

Tom,
Do we have the need to a new posting section to this board to discuss these cars specifically?

Now does the "Production only" for AJ Myth still hold up in the face of the new info? and if so, then only one of the Canadian cars was an official IPC replica?. The one given to AJ?. Wink

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Steve - good work Buddy.... Big Grin

Posts: 2766 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Steve ( or as I like to call him: EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH ) Razzer Has spent more time and has made more phonecalls across the boarder than any of you would imagine.. Steves a guy that sleeps little. I think it amazing that he just swooped right in on this subject and captured the flag with what looks like realative ease.. It wasn't Wink

Steve thanks: Wink

I think ( and had thought this for a while now ) that these cars are as special and different as any other non-indy Pacer like the 69 Daytona or the Cherokee...
I think because we have members who own these cars ( talk about exciting for them to know whats on their doors ) they deserve their own subsection.
I think we owe it to them and ourselves to reconnect with them and make this stuff known: more so the smallblack guys with the giant GP on the door.. Can you picture those cars with redline tires, blue nose stripes and the smaller red lettering under GP to connect the tires to the chassis... talk about a combo! damn Cool Anyone know how to do a computer mock up???
I think Steves got even more tricks up his sleeve and has info coming down the pipeline.?

I think its beating a dead horse to say this but certainly he deserves credit for making all this info public within hours of finding it( this is a book in itself).. A lesser man would have quietly contacted the few owners of the smallblock cars and made offers of purchase FIRST! You guys just wait til the first one is finished with these door decals.. cha-ching $$$ especially up North..

A cause driven unselfish man is Steve Big Grin

Was it PAULTHEFIRWMAN or something like that that actually ended up with a clone 375 hp 396 car that started out as a Canada smallblock? We'll his days just got brighter I would gather.

I think we need to contact the owner of the Cherokee as he too now is an OFFICIAL CAMARO PACECAR...

I think that the made up story of the Canada dealers being shut out of pacecar puchase is dying a fast and unceramonious death right here and right now

I think the point about them selling them off straight away with only 600 miles on them is proof positive nobody was begging for any with the 68 roll out right around the corner

I need to take a break...........

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
WOW! Great job Steve.

Posts: 418 | Location: Springfield, Illinois | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Larry C Weaver>
posted
Holy goink dude!Far out!
Da Weave

Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do we have the need to a new posting section to this board to discuss these cars specifically?

We discussed this a while back... it way over due now!

Excellent job Steve! Smiler

Posts: 9137 | Location: Ventura, Ca. | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
From Steve.. Steve: I cannot read the highlights...whats it say?

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Another Canadian ad from Steve

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Just so you guys know.. I found a new button in the Administration area that allows me to highlight a super topic across ALL boards. I'm trying that out today and will return this thread to its own area tonight. I think that will force feed good info to all members.. and if this topic doesn't qualify for the trial then what does! Eeker

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
I didn't read the whole post as it is very impressive and I want to digest it bit by bit. The first large photo does show Mosport. Cars are running the wrong way around the track, no doubt. Either they did that on purpose for that race, or negative was reversed. I've been to the track numberous times and watched the weekend long racing. Cars always went the other way around the track. Looks like the last turn, or second last before getting to the start/ finish line.
Mosport was only a 1/2 hour from Oshawa. Oshawa (to my understanding) is where all 21 cars were shipped to from Norwood, Ohio.
Yes Players was a prominent brand back then, even had a Canadian car and team at one point (much later) called the John Player Special, named after their brand.
Car was black and gold.
Gorries was a car dealership from Toronto. Had some success with the Gorrie Black Panther, so it does not suprise me that they had these for sale.
Truly impressive work Steve. Welcome to Canada. Come visit anytime you want, I'm one hour north of Buffalo, N.Y.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
While I enjoy every minute of this research, I am just a treasure hunter. Find something, put it to the side and keep hunting. Talked to Tony almost everyday, sometimes 2 or3 times, and he explained what was found. Tony is the one who has rallied me on to keep hunting, THANKS Tony! Without Tony, none of this happens.

What really was found is several men in Canada who are fountains of knowledge, each having a piece of this puzzle. And they want to share what they know, not hide it away for 10 or 20 years, or take it to their grave. It's really great to talk to the guys who were there in 1967, and are willing to share knowledge and documents.

Here is another picture of Another Canadian Camaro Pace Car! This is from the 1968 Edmonton Can Am Race. 68's, now that's one for Pat!

2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Truly impressive work Steve. Welcome to Canada. Come visit anytime you want, I'm one hour north of Buffalo, N.Y.

Thanks David! Have spent many summer days on the Canadian side of the Niagra Falls. Went their on our honeymoon. Several trips later too. Growing up, was in Toronto on vacation in late July 1967. Missed all the Camaro action by only 1 month. I really like Canada! Smiler

<RickDawn67>
posted
Steve,

Your the MAN!!!!

I enjoyed our IM exchanges a few weeks back and have to say I'm also continuing to dig through lots of internet stuff on these 06C cars, The Can-AM Cherokee's(also June cars), and anything else interesting made that week.

Between you and Tony I have to say I'm also somewhat obsessed with these Canadian cars and 06C (both US and Canadian...)

Great work and I know there was alot more going on at Mosport and other tracks up there with these Canadian pacers, the Can-AM Cherokee, and I would say others... Wink

2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
know there was alot more going on at Mosport and other tracks up there with these Canadian pacers

I really think if anyone here speaks fluent French, there will be lots of good juice to be found in the Montreal press, summer of 1967. Tremblant? Expo 67?

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
And they want to share what they know, not hide it away for 10 or 20 years, or take it to their grave.

Or even 15 Big Grin years!!!! Roll Eyes

Posts: 9137 | Location: Ventura, Ca. | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Steve....

Can you send me scans of the adds.... I have to read that small writing!!!

<RickDawn67>
posted
quote:
I really think if anyone here speaks fluent French, there will be lots of good juice to be found in the Montreal press, summer of 1967. Tremblant? Expo 67?

OK, who speaks French???