Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    Correct Blue Top ? Yea or Nay
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Correct Blue Top ? Yea or Nay
 Login/Join

Racing
posted Hide Post
Hi Charley, thanks for your comments. I appreciate them. I've gained a lot of useful information from your project posts.

Just a few comments:

My car was stored indoors from most of its life. It was not a rusty car. It spent a couple months outside, dismantled, during a Vermont summer with a tarp over it.

The top & frame were stored indoors. The original blue material pieces that I pulled from the top frame were removed from 4 separate locations and they were underneath the replacement top material. So weathering and UV effect of sunlight did not alter the color. I have no doubts at this time that the blue material was anything, but original.

All blue materials I pulled from the top match the sample from the dealer catalog perfectly. My doubts are in the top manufacturer trying to match a blue top that was produced 53 years ago.

With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if there was more than 1 shade of blue being used on these tops. There certainly was variation on the blue dash pad colors as we have seen. Also I did find that my blue top pads weren't identical. One was all blue cloth on both faces while the other was blue cloth on the bottom side and blue vinyl on the top.

I saw a picture of a 67 Firebird with a turquoise convertible top on it years ago. Looked awesome, but I would hate to have to have a top made in that material.

-Chris

Posts: 155 | Location: Highgate Falls, Vermont | Registered: 04 May 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
If it were my car, I would put the slightly darker blue top on it.

I very much agree that there was more than one production supplier for these tops, and with the Firebird being the car slated for spring 1967 introduction It just would make sense to me that that would be the shade of blue used across the "F" line from that point forward.

But who will really notice after all? It will be a super cool car regardless.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Found my old pads.. They are from a 1966 built Los Angles Camaro if it helps any

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
another

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Racing
posted Hide Post
Jun 67, norwood. outboard flap is vinyl, rest is fabric of the same color.

Posts: 155 | Location: Highgate Falls, Vermont | Registered: 04 May 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Racing
posted Hide Post
same pad opened up showing screws at round bow (3rd bow). would you say that yours is made out of 2 different materials like mine?

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
My pads are cloth both sides! interesting difference