Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    Undercarriage gray primer color
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Undercarriage gray primer color
 Login/Join

Racing
posted
Hi Guys, It's getting near the time for me to paint my car's undercarriage. I am going with the original factory look instead of the typical all black. So this means to me that the undercarriage was all primer gray, oversprayed with body color, oversprayed with firewall black paint and finally oversprayed with rocker blackout paint.

My undercarriage was sandblasted when I got the car so I don't know what shade of gray to use. In the attached picture is the undercarriage primed with DP50. kind of a medium gray. I have a much darker gray from a mopar project that I could use.

Does anyone have pic that might be of help that would look correct on a computer monitor ?

thanks
Chris

Chris Many

"If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can !"

Avid home restorer of classic cars.

Posts: 155 | Location: Highgate Falls, Vermont | Registered: 04 May 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
This looks very similar to what mine looked like. I'll try to post a picture.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
My pictures are too large in size to post. Pm me if you wish.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
I will put some images of the Undercarriage of 708 up later this weekend as well.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2007
Victory Lane
Picture of L181A L35
posted Hide Post
The color looks right you just need Ermine White over spray. Looking forward to Phil's post.

Posts: 1696 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Racing
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, I am hoping for an answer before I paint my undercarriage next weekend. In the below picture is what I commonly see on 69 restos online. I question the blackout on the floor pans for the Norwood 67 cars like mine. Should my car look like this picture with rocker blackout overspray added or should I not have the black overspray on the floorpans? please advise.

Chris Many

Posts: 155 | Location: Highgate Falls, Vermont | Registered: 04 May 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2007
Victory Lane
Picture of L181A L35
posted Hide Post
Is that Hugger Orange overspray? If so, that is the amount of Ermine White you want. Also, I have never seen that much black overspray on a RS rocker blackout. Is your car Van Nuys or Norwood? I have seen differences between the two. Stick with gray primer on the underside with Ermine White overspray and you should be safe. Still waiting for Phil's post!

Posts: 1696 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Racing
posted Hide Post
My car is a Norwood car. The blackout you see I am beginning to think that it is a Van Nuys thing.

Chris Many

Supporter 2007
Victory Lane
Picture of L181A L35
posted Hide Post
The cars I have mainly dealt with have been Van Nuys and they do not have that extreme amount of blackout.

Racing
posted Hide Post
Love it or hate it, this is what I ended up doing.

1) Primed undercarriage with DP90LF black epoxy primer.
2) Painted undercarriage with SEMs Hot Rod Black.
3) Oversprayed DP50LF light gray primer along rockers, inside wheel houses and tailpanel with heavy amount of coverage where the gas tank goes.
4) Oversprayed ermine white over the same areas.
5) Oversprayed Hot Rod Black along rockers.
6) Oversprayed Hot Rod Black along base of firewall.

It looks like hell, but it is close to what I believe my car looked liked based on other unmolested Norwood 67's RS/SS cars.

Chris Many

2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Looks really great !

Posts: 2961 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
yes very nice work! exciting to see

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2007
Victory Lane
Picture of L181A L35
posted Hide Post
Thumbs up!!!

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
bump

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post