Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frame Date placement?
 Login/Join

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted
Hello folks...

I'm spinning off this question from Chris Many's Black-nosed BlueTopper thread...

Chris' Page 6 includes some discussion of inspection marks, including FRAME DATE stamping (an example provided by Tom, noted as LA-specific). There is another example Mike Rossi posted at Rossi's Frame Stamp. For convenience sake; I've brought forward both photos below.

I noted some subtle differences between these examples; so wanted to further inquire & perhaps clarify?

(1) Placement in Mike's picture below is pretty obvious...

(2) In Tom's example, can't discern where exactly this appears? I am guessing maybe higher-up on the right frame rail ??? ...'cause:
    a) can't see the body-mount brackets? ...and,
    b) CAN see what appear to be tire rub marks?

(3) Tom's original also seems to be hyphenated (11-17-?? ), while the other is not?

(4) One is right-side-up? ...the other inverted?

(5) Any other insights on usage and/or style? ...Production line variations in placement? ...L.A. vs. Norwood practices? ...Etc.?

(6) MIKE... I might need to borrow that stamp after all ??

THANKS FOLKS !!!

----------------------------------

Picture from Tom 8/14 (captioned "LA frame date")...

----------------------------------

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Picture #2 from Mike R ( Rossi's Frame Stamp );

---------------------------------

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like upside down or rightside up and anyplace on that area of the right side frame seems to be the restorers choice after that

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I did this one low enough for people to see for detail and made it drip. If I chose to do it upside down I would have had it drip upside down.. MAYBE I should have stamped it like this but made the drip go up as if the frame was still upside down during assembly? Come to think of it that would have been best

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
The stamp says 11-17-66

Supporter 2007
Victory Lane
Picture of L181A L35
posted Hide Post
Charley,

Get with me via text message about the stamp.

Mike

Posts: 1696 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2007
Victory Lane
Picture of L181A L35
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom McGinnity:
The stamp says 11-17-66

Tom,

Come to think of it your blue LA car is the only one I have seen with the "-" between the numbers.

Mike

Posts: 1696 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
That is interesting