Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    Test Fitting Sheet Metal To See Where Your At
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Test Fitting Sheet Metal To See Where Your At
 Login/Join

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow I am going to dig out the original header panel for this car and see if the NOS one I have installed here is too wide.. If it is that would be GREAT

This photo illustrates pretty well how the gap gets skinny as it arrives at the cowl.. Yes the nose is aligned very well.. the side shift cheating is at max

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Even NOS isn't stamped super crisp like we'd like.. Putting the square to the edge of this NOS header shows the issue

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Whacking away at the bend with a hard rubber mallet did the trick.. Now when it gets bolted together the sandwich is much much tighter and the line more consistent.. good tricks BEFORE assembly. ( Its hard to beat already painted panels)

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
see

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Things look real good.. the fender extensions and the lower valance went together real slick.. minor body work tweaking when that time comes and its over Cheers

Victory Lane
Picture of Z11Weaver
posted Hide Post
Are you sure you weren't a professional auto-body guy in the past? All your seems look GREAT!!! Nice Weekend's Work you did there. Your ready to start laying down some mud and start some serious blocking!!!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
You know Weave.. i was pretty proud of my weekends work as well til I broke open the car trailer to check out my little California original paint honey.. Get a load of how tight and straight these lines are! I'm bringing my gauge to work tomorrow.. I bet all these lines are tighter than spec! The door hits the fender ever so slightly and the back of the hood hits the cowl ever so slightly as well.. car has dents but never whacked..

My only explanation for my bad math is the header I'm using being too long.. I'll find out tonight

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Cowl and upper door fit.. real tight

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
The doors are another story.. the fenders both have the issues I discussed this weekend.. I guess its something you just don't notice until you have your nose right in it.. regardless.. the door ding peak is clearly out on both sides and the bottom of the fender does not line up with the rocker satisfactorily! The radius from door to fender is VERY nice though..

Victory Lane
Picture of Z11Weaver
posted Hide Post
You have to remember, these are production line cars that were being pumped out as quick as they could. Quality assurance wasn’t the high priority in 67 as it is today. All fixable items with time and patients though. Tom your panel fitment looks damn good to me. The more you’ll look at, the more critical you’ll become of your effort that eventually will push you to strive for excellence. In my opinion, it looks GREAT!!!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
Nice thread Tom!!:-)
It's too bad they didn't have premeasured colored gap inserts so that it would give the body guy or the "Do It yourselfer" a guide to go by. It would definitely pay off in the long run. I can see where the extra time in fitting would make things go so smooth and fast for that perfect fit.

Posts: 2069 | Location: Sacramento/Auburn area, CA | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Well I appreciate that.. I think its important to stress that this car is going to be my Opus.. I'll never do another as good as this car. I'll be too old and too broke to even consider it.. This car will be the measure of the man I am when it comes to my hobby. The torture is deciding how to go about it.. there is such a thing as too good.. theres another thing that makes the masses not appreciate and still another that looks bad but is the truth.. the balance between the three is the art form I think..

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Tom D.. what an idea for a tool set.. nylon gauges in all listed sized for classic car sheet metal!

<GaryB>
posted
Are those plastic feeler gauges yours? Those are nice.
Was that square your grandfathers? That sucker looks old!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
3 full pages of posts about sheetmetal and all I get out of you is this.. No wonder your a good buddie...cuz your a ball buster Wink

Start throwing out some advice please