Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gray phosphate etc..
 Login/Join

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
So this WD-40 trick works...this is good to hear! Smiler

Posts: 9137 | Location: Ventura, Ca. | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Well. Its being tried out at least.. Time will tell. That CROWN stuff is pretty much Cosmoline in a different can.. WAY thicker and yellower that WD40..

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13406 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Geoff,, My Z-bar and hood hinges also are in fine shape after 41 years in service.. I have yet to crack the difference between the home spun phosphate and corporate.. I proved the local phosphate company can do no better ( worse actually) than I but that GM stuff with the glitter in it is tough stuff..Someone years ago mentioned something about instead of suspending the phosphate in water they suspended it in Cyonide? or some other caustic toxin... makes sense buy I just don't know

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom McGinnity,

Posts: 13406 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Gary.. Steve Gregori in Sanger Cali? GOOD WORKS from him.. I think he makes a cottage industry by gloming off of an aerospace companys ability..maybe a place he worked or something.. Nice guy

<GaryB>
posted
Tom, possibly, I don't remember his name or the town, but the company was Detail Plating and it was in California. Not particularly cheap, but very nice work and seems to be holding up well.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Bump for Sappy & Jeb

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
I think I found out Tom's Secret to success. It's all of those trucks he's practiced on through the years. And all of those tidbits of information he gets through (OLD SCHOOL) go on to the Pace Car enthousiast's Smiler
Nutt'in but NICE!!!
Tom do you have a manufacture' (er) So I can find some of that Gray Phosphate? I want to start working on my car and my son is making a 91 Camaro convertible Hot Rod as well. Show Car
Thanks
Robert

Posts: 871 | Location: Port Orchard Wa. | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Well its been a while and I can definitely find the extra bottles I have for my next car but if I remember right they were home made lables from a guy off eBay.. I just searched ebay and couldn't find any for sale in quart containers or any amount..

I do remember the trick was to bail on the directions and boil the water and leave the parts in the solution for a much much longer time.. like if they said 15 minutes I left them in for an hour and a half

I'll search and get back with you

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Call these guys.. maybe they can lead you in the right direction

The bottle I have say ZINC PHOSPHATE(gray) and nothing more but warnings.. Like some dude took a bunch from work and put it in his own home made bottles confused

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Here's the place I got mine from. Worked great and real nice guy to deal with. I used the gray on the hood latch and hood release and black on bolts. I believe it was less than $ 40.00 per bottle.
Palmetto Enterprises
864-907-4751

Posts: 443 | Location: Whitehall, Pa | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
excellent! yea

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Tom, you got yours from a guy in Vancouver, Canada. I also bought a bottle and still have it unopened. You were doing the boiling pot thing and hadn't perfected it yet. I have one quart if anyone wants to buy it.

Posts: 1601 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Bump for Tony..looking for knowledge checkered flag

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Bump for Charley

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Geoff,, My Z-bar and hood hinges also are in fine shape after 41 years in service.. I have yet to crack the difference between the home spun phosphate and corporate.. I proved the local phosphate company can do no better ( worse actually) than I but that GM stuff with the glitter in it is tough stuff..Someone years ago mentioned something about instead of suspending the phosphate in water they suspended it in Cyonide? or some other caustic toxin... makes sense buy I just don't know

Our member Keith Calhoon has enlightened me to a trick or two with phosphating that I will experiment with maybe this springtime.. He showed me some pieces he did when I saw him in Norwood Ohio last Summer that have the metallic fleck in them that came out fantastic.. stay tuned