Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NOS Muffler
 Login/Join

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted
I like to build my exhaust system around an NOS muffler.

The 20 year search is finally at an end... .

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Box is dated 1-29-70 at Kalamazoo and dated on the front as May 1970

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
The Correct flange construction

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
The big thing that matters- The W on the side.

W=Walker the original GM supplier.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I'm very interested in this. I have NO NOS exhaust pipes.. I always get confused when something pops up because it's expensive but there's no definitive way that I know of to be certain so I keep passing . Hoping you can shed some light.

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
PS. I have original design plans for the exhaust system somewhere. I should post them here.

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing with my other restorations. I got the NOS Muffler and then built the remainder of the exhaust out of either NOS or hi quality reproduction stuff. On my 70 Z for example it was NOS Walker main pipes, the NOS GM Muffler and NOS rear exhaust exits with the 1970 only chrome tips. That one only took 12 years to locate and piece together though.

If you have the plans please post them up. Cheers

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
BTW..I concluded that P/N 392788 is an impossible number to find due to the manufactured combination associated with it, as it included both the tail pipes and the muffler as part of the AIM spec.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Also what makes it crazy to find is that dozens of muffler companies existed back then and pounded the pieces out.. There are old pipes out there but they don't match exactly. An example would be the bends, some are mandrel and others are the crinkle bends that look awful. The pinch of the tail pipe tip and the cut angle are also dead givaways. I think the plans I got are GM plans that were sent to vendors so they could make the exhaust. I'll dig them up next week.

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Oh Yes.... Definitely more than one supplier.

The flange construction at the ends will give the GM Spec suppliers away super fast.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
If you could elaborate on what the flange differences are that would be great. I have a Gardner Exhaust best system on my car that I could snap pictures of for comparison as that's likely the exhaust that will end up on my 78 car

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Generic flange attachment used in the majority of mufflers.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
OLD Generic Muffler. Non GM specification at the flange attachment points and at the large flange. (no split)

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
1967 GM specification:

Body is extruded at the Flange attachment points
Tack weld points at the flange attachment points
Split flange for the main pipe to speed assembly on the line.
Drain hole.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom McGinnity:
PS. I have original design plans for the exhaust system somewhere. I should post them here.

Phil@camaropacecars.com