Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    Jeff ( & Marty ) Hugneys car at Toms house
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jeff ( & Marty ) Hugneys car at Toms house
 Login/Join

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted
I had started to show you guys the Hugneys car that is at my house for finish up but have been busy busy busy.. Roll Eyes I know: when do I not say that
I'd like to take the time right now to post up some pictures and give a quick description of whats going on..
Jeffs had this car forever and without getting into the circumstances that landed the car at my house we can suffice to say its never a good idea to have a car restored ten states away.
This thread isn't going to be about circumstances but simply as a great place to see, learn ,ask and decide a great many things Pacecar.. very much like Sapps thread on his resto with Jeb except this is small finish up stuff and the occasional error repair when needed.

I posted this pic when it first arrived at my house in the fall

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I've since evicted my car for the winter down to Bob Martins place ( thanks Bob!)

And taken the car back apart a little bit

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I'll update as time goes by but for now was going to just list the things on the docket for tweaking, install or repair..

Know that these guys have put the big effort into buying NOS stuff and getting things technically correct for years and years.. This cars gotta have 10k in NOS and restored stuff on it!

The car was painted in lacquer and has been very well restored in the belly with the latest sheet metal... suffice to say I'v not had a spec of rust land in my eye all the time I've been under her Wink

I will also be telling you guys what I think of some of the repro stuff thats out there these days.. near all is EXCELLENT compared to just 5 years ago,, very encouraging for the future of 1967 Camaros can wait to install some of it

Things to do...

sabre teeth install
trunk lock
taillight swap
trunk dress up
rear antenna install
chrome trim tweak or replace
fuel fill fix
door panel and side panel dress
seat belt finalize
seat repair and tweak
console install and dress
window alignment
insterior trim install
dash-heater fix. repair install
steering column function
interior lighting
shifter knob
rustproofing inside door
door latch adjust
antenna cable etc
transmission clutch fork install
leak repair
ebrake routing
brake line replacement
new calipers. rotors, bearings, pads
new front spring
engine mount bolts
service
ss emblems
grill emblems
rs molding replace
electric headlamp function
exterior lighting
traction bar install
backup lamp switch
throttle fabrication
wiring and pcv system to look correct
carb, distrubutor, tune + timing
hose and clamps correct
nuts and fasteners corrected
inspection marks and stamps
sheet metal alignment
exterior lacquer polish
pinstriping
redye interior parts

ok ok enough

Heres a shot from the trac bar installation so you can see how nice the belly is

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Rossis frame stamp out of hibernation Wink

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Such a simple little error can really screw up the works.. working slow and careful is the key.. a clutch fork this much longer hits the floor so the day is over and out comes the transmission

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Here's a few more.. Dyeing and soft plastic colors for the interior.. I have getting good adhesion for these parts down to a bit of a science and will share later in the resto section

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Dressing the door panels.. another great reason to keep all the old parts forever if you can and have the space Cool

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Making a new trac bar forward bushing from a link kit... I know of nowhere you can buy this bushing ( without buying the entire reproduction bar kit)? anyone?

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
The bellhouse was erroneously painted orange so nows was the time to get her back to nature sweet aluminum.. I'll be damned if I can find a correct throttle rod for 295 hp 350's.. I fabricated this one from a generic catalog unit..

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
The distributor was haunted.. The cure was to send it to our own Gary Bieler for the big redo!

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Sometimes its a fight to get pieces together right.. here's a perfect example.. that fuzzys gotta get under that conv top molding hammer

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
When you use NOS front fenders I always choose to drill the SS emblems AFTER the nose stripe goes on.. this affords you the luxury of getting them to be perfectly centered with the variables of the stripe stencil.. With original fenders you needs to spend the extra time in the booth WITH emblems in hand to be certain you on the money.. these came out sweet

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Tom, Maybe check these out:
Throttle rod-Rick's part # rc-382
Sway bar bushings- Camaro central part #'s
Round bar #sus-237
Square bar # sus-238
not cheap but... EDV.

Posts: 443 | Location: Whitehall, Pa | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Wow! damn Ed.. I didn't ever see either of those.. I've not taken the time in a few years to compare which company has what exclusively.. the trac bar bushings look great..

I can't tell if thats what I ordered for the throttle rod? I've ordered two in the last year.. They both came to me with gold cadmium coloring not gray phosphate but worse they were too long and when you cut to fit for full throttle throw you run out of threads and need to thread the thing further with a die. last: there is a flange around the end that goes into the carb.. which would be fine but it prevents the rod end from going through the throttle enough to install the cotter pin.. So I ground that off, cut and chased the thread, bead blasted the gold and painted the rod a gray color Roll Eyes I might try again or check the number I ordered when I get home

Thanks Bro.. this is the kinda help people need!

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Tom, I just checked my stash and I actually have that repro throttle rod. It is actually made by Classic Headquarters part #w-636a. Its very nice. Gray color , NO flange on end,correct bend in middle and correct swivel. EDV.

Posts: 443 | Location: Whitehall, Pa | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post