Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    Restoring my RS SS 396 IPC
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 53
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Restoring my RS SS 396 IPC
 Login/Join

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
NOS fenders from the 80's

This guy is asking too much for this set but this is an example of being patient.. nothing like older NOS GM RS fenders... Cheers

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Sappy787
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,

I'm looking at dropping off my front and rear seats and getting them redone.

Any suggestios on where to buy the replacement seat covers?

Posts: 842 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa  | Registered: 15 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I would recommend that you get PUI. I would get them from whoever has stock these days.. start with Ricks or Classic Industries.. I've never had a problem with the seat covers. Ask your upholstorer what he likes to do about seat buns ( foam ). My guy always reuses what I have and puffs them up a little with whatever tricks he has.. You want to avoid the over stuffed look obviously.pui with new seat video

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<jebfink>
posted
just a quick question while thinking about this

in anyone's mind who has the best firewall insulation pad. I have used the ones from Classic Industries and not really impressed with them. Any input is greatly appreciated!!!!!
racer

thanks

jeb

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in that as well.. I used one a million years ago that was pretty ok but the one from my Pacer is junk and I too will need info on these! Anyone? How many vendors are there? Are there any newer versions that may be more correct? What are all you guys with completely stripped out cars doing? Cheers

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
I have carefully pulled out the original and kept them stored, in case, I could find some material close to the original firewall material and make my own using the original as a template. The repo ones always have extra pre-cut stampings for all applications. I also don't really care for the material they use either on the repo ones. If some one knows where to get bulk firewall padding it would be easy to make your own and it would probably be cheaper too!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom D,

Posts: 2069 | Location: Sacramento/Auburn area, CA | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Thats right!.. I had forgotten that: The rubber backing ( thats not original style to begin with ) is preperforated to fit any and all applications.. by the time you man handle the thing into position you have popped out all the die cuts like clutch linkage even if you have an automatic... Thanks for reminding me T

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
Yeah, those repo pre-stamped firewall pads will work in a pinch. Perhaps, someone is making better ones now. I just haven't researched for any in awhile. If anyone has an original one and repo one that can take a couple pictures of the two together for us to see it would be good to compare.

Posts: 2069 | Location: Sacramento/Auburn area, CA | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<jebfink>
posted
Does anybody have a prepopulated list of all of the parts that need to be zinc phosphate coated? We are trying to get some of this kind of stuff done on sappy's car as we go and would like to do it all in one shipment. Any lists would be great! Thanks again-- Jeb

yea you guys rock!

<jebfink>
posted
One more thing that we need some help with. Is there any company that anyone recommends that comes with everything to rebuild the frt end suspension like tie rods, ball joints, control arm bushings etc... let me know what you think!

p.s. sappy should be posting some pics pretty soon of the car and it's progress Wink

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Depending on what you want to do resto wise: for a pretty correct look CHQ has a subsidiary called Classic Suspension that is making repro stuff that is closer to correct than stuff you can buy straight from Moog or TRW or any other regular company from like NAPA or Car Quest or whatever you may have out your way for a chain store.. PST makes kits as well. They advertise in all the car magazines.. You might consider ordering it all from Camaro restoration catalogs if the cost helps reach a 10% or 15% off plateau or gets you free shipping... checkered flag

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Good question on the gold.. never thought of it like that.. I've compiled a galvanized list and can drum up a phosphate one as well..

I think gold is the shortest list.. off my head

Booster
bracket for the brake switch
the ends of the brake hoses
maybe the brake line clips where the hoses go hard line?
master cylinder cover

convertible tack strip screws?

anyone else?

One thing to consider: If you send all the parts to Steve Gregori.. I bet if you call him first he has the list stuck right in his head.. He's done this for over 20 years! Oh and please report back what he says if you take that route Cheers

He can do the phosphate as well as the silver zinc.. maybe consider sending the whole enchilada to him for ease and a discount?

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Sappy787
posted Hide Post
Tom you are the best !!

first

Posts: 842 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa  | Registered: 15 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Sappy787
posted Hide Post
a few pics of progress !!