Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    Restoring my RS SS 396 IPC
Page 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Restoring my RS SS 396 IPC
 Login/Join

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
I sent you a picture. I'll post here my thoughts for discussion. I think the shaft was sand blasted, then clear coated, low or no gloss. To prevent rust formation. Some had stripes pained on them.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<GaryB>
posted
Jeb, to be most accurate, it can be taken to a driveshaft shop and be re-tubed. It is not that expensive. They cut the yokes off of each end and cut a new piece of tubing. weld the yokes on and balance it. The biggest problem is making sure that they do not paint it. Then just install your u-joints and clear coat it and put the identification stripes on it and you're done. New steel never looks like that again. Once you blast it it does not look like natural "new" steel.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<jebfink>
posted
ok so back to the driveshaft question. there are many many driveshaft threads on all of the camaro forums out there but none that i saw make even a general consensus about the identification stripes. No marks appear to be left at all on the original shaft so that does us no good. with that said what should the markings on the driveshaft be for a 396/ 325 hp 4 speed car, or better question maybe, if this was your car what would you remark it with. We also bought the chassis detail kit from quanta with the body mount tape yellow spray ink and a driveshaft number stencil, is the numbers supposed to be on there? I read somewhere someone had a pic of one with orange numbers on it and heard that it was a service replacement driveshaft. basically i am hoping to hear what will make it look the best and most accurate possible??? confused

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I have not made it that far yet.. I THINK I remember talk that Norwood had them and LA didn't or Bigblocks had them and small blocks didn't.. I only ever got so far as to have my original yokes retubed with brand new steel and I still have only found one good original style u-joint to use..

Here is a Norwood 396 from Mike Rossi

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
LA small block... Mike Rossi again

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<jebfink>
posted
not to stray from the current need for driveshaft info on the big block 4 speed LOS car of Dave's that we need the info on , but one more question popped into my head here quick. When I tore into the frt subframe there was still remnants of the frt spring decal on there. They were a YK decal on blue paper with white lettering. Only found one place online with that lettering combo. $10 for the pair. we ordered them, they come and they are on red paper with white letters, is this possibly an alternative correct option? or is only blue acceptable?

What are you guys thought on this?

jeb

On the Track
posted Hide Post
My 05e l78 vert had blue with white letters.

Posts: 90 | Location: colts neck, n.j. | Registered: 12 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
When I got my Los Angles car I quickly figured out it never left the city or went high speed.. These spring tags were only held to the coils by the curve set taken over the years and would have blown right off at high speed not to mention I pressure washed the hell out of the belly and these would have died a horrible death.. Blue with white letters..

I'll Facebook Mike Rossi.. He has a fantastic grasp of spring tags and F41 suspensions etc

Supporter 2007
Victory Lane
Picture of L181A L35
posted Hide Post
Okay!!! It takes Tommy dropping in to my Facebook page to rattle me back from my slumber from the Camaro world. Tommy call me about the tags I'll walk you through everything I know. FYI guys my cell is 915-227-9334. I am no longer married so I can actually take calls now. LOL!!! Big Grin

Posts: 1696 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<jebfink>
posted
so what all pieces for the grille and lower valance need to be shipped out to Gary B to be properly riveted together. He has already done the headlamp doors for us. How the heck do you box the stuff for safe delivery?

jeb

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
Gary B,
Can you post a picture of the rivet tool again for those of us who need to work on our grills? Thanks!

Posts: 2069 | Location: Sacramento/Auburn area, CA | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Calling SAPP!!

Look here!!

https://camaropacecars.com/eve/...0015833/m/7281079746

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Sappy787
posted Hide Post
Phil it looks awesome.

Im so lucky the family got me that original photo of Merles pacer or else Im sure I would have never known it was a mag hubcap pacer...

Ive been hunting the internet hard for a set of mint hubcaps...

Awesome picture...

Posts: 842 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa  | Registered: 15 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<jebfink>
posted
looking for tips and suggestions on best ways and how to properly adjust convertible top framework? any suggestions

thanks

jeb

Victory Lane
Picture of Z11Weaver
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Try these guys out for fixing a set of hubcaps for you. They do a nice job and are affordable. Tell them that Tom Weaver referred you.

http://www.dntpolishing.com/contact.html

Posts: 1416 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post