Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    Restoring my RS SS 396 IPC
Page 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 53
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Restoring my RS SS 396 IPC
 Login/Join

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
few people ask such intricate questions

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<GaryB>
posted
I will put my two cents in FWIW. I drilled the holes so that the stainless staples that I made up would slip through and the I bent them over. Once that was done, I put the inner fender on something soft and used a punch and hammer to finish them off and make them apear to have been stapled. I would love to see the stapler that did these at the factory.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<GaryB>
posted
I just noticed the other question. If you look in the assembly manual, it shows where the undercoat(body shutz) goes. It is on the rear area of the front wheelhouse to deaden the sound of things making contact with the wheelhouse.

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Gary is spot on... What you do is treat the staples like a small crafts project.. Find your own wire to make the staples that is much more malleable than the staples offered in the catalogs.. DRILL the holes you need and install the staples then peen them over by hand and then use small hand tools to crink them to look legit.

The sound deadener does exactly what Gary says.. when little stones fly out from the wheel treads and smack the inner well the deadener quells the sound and makes the car seem heavier and more solid... Not like a Chrysler roll

We can furnish pix if needed

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
This is what I did

Racing
posted Hide Post
Everyone is giving good advice. If you are using the original inner fenders, then drill the holes out for the staples that come with the kits. Peen them over. I used a pair of needle nose to start the bend and then a hammer. As you have found out, the replacement staples are hard to bend. Only other personal suggestion is that I used a piece of wood with the hammer so as not to chip the new paint. Make sure you get a good set of rubber splash shields. They should have a very textured look.

Posts: 178 | Location: Rochester, NY | Registered: 04 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Brads right. The ones I used came in a yellow and blue box made by REPOPS.. NOT the same texture or color mixture in the rubber

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Where can you get the correct ones ? Specific brand ?

Posts: 443 | Location: Whitehall, Pa | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<jebfink>
posted
IF YOU COULD POST A PIC OF THE SOUND DEADNER ON THE FRT WHEELHOUSE THAT WOULD BE GREAT.

I ALSO NEED A PHOTO OF THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR INSTALLED PLEASE.

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
I send you some pictures of the sound deadner to your email.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<jebfink>
posted
got em dave thanks
jeb

any of you big block boys have measurements of the lengths of your heater hoses. not quite ready to put fender and wheel well on but i want to get them on and get some antifreeze in the radiator this weekend not a big deal if nobody has measurements, just want to avoid any mess with antifreeze that isn't needed if you know what i mean

thanks

jeb

Victory Lane
Picture of Z11Weaver
posted Hide Post
The Repro ribbed hoses are really nice. Not sure on lengths, sorry.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<jebfink>
posted
so i have seen photos of the rubber splash shields stapled to the inner fenders with the rubber on both sides of the tubs. which way is the more correct way on the inside toward the tire or on the engine side?

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I've been meaning to go and snap a pic of original inner fender sound deadener and also original flaps but it is snowing to beat the band around here all day etc.. brutal

A bigger question though is what product is out there to duplicate that heavy fibrous original stuff? I used a product that got me to about 70 or 80% correct but the original stuff want on THICK and with a nice wide fan pattern and low spatter.. I gotta figure that out!

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I believe I followed the assembly manual on the positioning of this