Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    Restoring my RS SS 396 IPC
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 53
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Restoring my RS SS 396 IPC
 Login/Join

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Sappy787
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,

Jeb has my coded white rims off. I plan on getting some redlines.

My question is: When I repaint the rims should the white repaint be the Ermine White. Should it be glossy or not>

Not sure and seeking thoughts on the paint.

Thanks

Posts: 842 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa  | Registered: 15 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Personally I would paint the rims exactly like the car. Why? to keep it uniform. At its best!!! Smiler

Posts: 871 | Location: Port Orchard Wa. | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that Chevy painted the rims seperately in enamel paint because of the durability needed for road use with exposed rims like that... regardless: I too would shoot the rims with the same paint as the car... C-1 is Ermine White. base-clear would be ok and shine like a bugger on the rim bead that shows outside the mag style cap Smiler

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<jebfink>
posted
just a quick question for anyone who can help out- which paint company in your guys opinion has the best formula base clear paint for the ermine white? I usually spray all ppg paint but they say that they can't mix it in their good line but they have one that it crosses to which is supposed to be almost identical-- what brand works best? any input will be appreciated

thanks-- jeb

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Larry C Weaver>
posted
JEB,I have a paint code of PPG 8259. Mine was painted about ten years ago and I think it was when the NCT line was big at PPG.As far as I know the color is fine. Tom and others have seen it,hows the color to you guys? I'm with Tom on the wheels, BC will make them very easy to keep clean. I have had break fluid (caliper died) On one of mine and it didnt even discolor !Just info, dont take mine as the only answer.
Da Weave

<jebfink>
posted
that is the code that they gave me for their line they now call omni au. i have sprayed this paint before with no problems but just really want to make sure we get this done completely correct for dave. they gave me a code of 90217 for their upper line dbc paint. they said that this color is what the ermine white #'s offset to-- supposed to be a good match any body else used this ppg # on their car? how does it look

thanks

jeb

<Larry C Weaver>
posted
david parr is probably the most current for paint jobs.Looked good at carlisle but I have no idea what brand or color he used.How about it david?
Da Weave

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Sappy787
posted Hide Post
I agree Weave I can only hope my car looks as good as Davids.

I do think Jeb is the man for the job and its going to look great.

I also apprecaite any and all the help we can get from you guys.

I hope to hear from David on his paint code & brand

Posts: 842 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa  | Registered: 15 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the access Road
posted Hide Post
Sappy,
Here is my experience with recently painting interior (last weekend)
First off - Interior code that we all have is discontinued. Dupont crossed it to a best match off the blue spectrum chart. This gave us a vinal prereduced paint. DO NOT use this. Called Dupont tech support again and had it mixed in Centari (Acrylic enamel)
Code 44442A
National Fleet Color
Dark Continental Blue

Second - interior calls for a 60% gloss finish. This is achieved by adding a flat agent to the paint. After trial and error, came up with this mixture. 3 parts color / 2 parts reducer / .75 (3/4) parts flattener.

This combo gives a true semi gloss finish. Metallic shines nicely in the sun, Picture of door section after being painted.
Hopes this helps ya,
Dave

Posts: 55 | Location: Epsom, NH | Registered: 20 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Sappy787
posted Hide Post
Dave

The seats are also looking good. Thanks for the info.

<jebfink>
posted
does anyone know who is making the best repo quarter panels out there right now? Still aways away from that stage but never hurts to start getting info for an order from somewhere. what about outer wheelhouses? confused

thanks for any input guys

jeb

<GaryB>
posted
Best repops are from Heartbeat City. Convertible quarters with the original style "phone shaped" indentations in the jamb area. I am not sure who actually manufactures them.

<GaryB>
posted
I am not positve about the outer wheelhouses. I am sure that someone will let you know.

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Thats a good looking blue on that door top Dave Big Grin

The quarter panels are American stamped and I have heard very good things about them... obviously light years ahead of anything else and as luck would have it they have the phone shape we need for our cars dates

Heartbeat City has had them first and is charging dearly.. I heard from a guy at Carlisle that you can get them from the manufacturer but he was not forthcoming about how.. They are the only and best choice I think

Mike Rossi reminded me years ago that nearly all GM NOS outer wheel houses are the 68 design so I'm a little lost mostly because I never checked at this point what the difference is.. confused But I've never heard people complain about the repros either... I used some of a repro ( the lip that meets the quarter ) to repair where my fender flares were.. they fit like a glove radius wise etc..? remember your covering them in thick undercoat anyway so the infraction of a slightly incorrect well is marginal I think

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Heartbeat

They seem to have come down in price a bit. Remember you'll be paying truck freight so think hard and buy all the truck freight items you need in one fell swoop.. things like the underhood insualtion etc...

Jeb. PM me your address and I'll send you a few vendor catalogs that have pictures like Ricks.. it help a ton in determining what your needs are