Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flag Brackets
 Login/Join

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted
OK, so lately I have been taking a night class on Welding techniques. Had a crazy idea for special project... Does anybody have info, photos, maybe even specs, for Flag Brackets?

This isn't a huge life goal, just thought it might make an interesting special project. I've studied some photos online and identified some few pros & cons...

* Mecum auction site has LOTS of photos of #92. In that installation it looks like 3 attachment points (upper, mid, lower), and the bracket upper brace is secured to the tailpan lip under the deck lid? Not sure I like this idea...
* The idea strikes me as (in my case) maybe a bit out-of-character for an L.A. car? (but I do know there are others)...
* Ideally, would prefer a configuration that can be removed and reinstalled without a great deal of effort (or collateral damage)...

any ideas and/or feedback appreciated!

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Bill B
posted Hide Post
I'm away right now but I have what you need. Will send next week. Photo is of my brackets.

Bill @ Camaroipc.com (remove the spaces)

brackets

Posts: 3064 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Bill; THANKS...

Comic relief...

Still have the bike rack that hung off my rear bumper in the 1970's... Lower brackets (2) clamped onto the bumper. The upper bow slipped over the shafts and secured with spring pins.

Not good for the chrome though..

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Charlie I have all the stuff but can't post it.. dead scanners etc. call me. 978 two six five 9756

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Ed F
posted Hide Post
Charley, I have been absent for a few years now but just now saw your post her. 10-12 years back I had several of these posts made up for my two cars and made 4-5 extras. Let me check my stash to se if they still here.

Posts: 733 | Location: Sooner Country, Oklahoma | Registered: 28 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
ED! Hope alls well. I just snail mailed your old pole plans to Charlie FYI. Let's see what you've got

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
ED; Thanks for response, much appreciated.

TOM: Rec'd your letter (with the drawings) today; also much appreciated!

The drawings appear to pretty faithfully capture the design implemented on #92?

For my own purposes I am loath to punch new holes in the tailpan. Paid my body guy a bunch of money (years ago) to patch countless holes left behind by a litany of teenage prior owners (myself included). This is an extracurricular effort and i am not concerned with faithfully duplicating the setup on car #92. I'm more concerned with avoiding irreversible damage. Flags (IF DECISION TO PROCEED) would be only for static use and parade use (not at speed)...

From studying the plans these are my impressions (CRITIQUE & FEEDBACK INVITED...);

1) Delete top strap (attaches to trunk lip);
1a) Beef-up bottom strap to 1/4".

2) Custom-fab a removable lower bracket; providing an alternative attachment point for bottom strap. Custom bracket secured to existing attachment points (maybe spring shackle?)

3) I got the O.D. 1-1/4" for lower tubes. Does anyone have specs for the tubing gauge and/or I.D.? Likewise, corresponding specs for the flag sticks (mainly O.D.?) I could probably hack this out with my local steel yard, but have not asked them yet...

THANKS...