Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    Progress pics of my Black-nosed BlueTopper
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Progress pics of my Black-nosed BlueTopper
 Login/Join

Racing
posted
Thought I would post some pics showing the progress on my 67 RS/SS Black-nosed BlueTopper that is not a pace car replica, but could have been a dealer replica.

This car was previously rickdawn66's car. It exchanged hands a few times before I got it.

The car spent most of its life as a drag car. The rear quarters and trunk floor were pretty butchered in order to fit 32" tires. It took me about 4 months to revert the rear of the car back to its former self. I have just finished repairing all of the holes that were put in the firewall. All that is left on the shell is to fix the floors. I have to fix the damage created when body stiffeners were added, repair the butchering of the transmission tunnel at the shifter, plus fix lots of jambs where the car was jacked up randomly in all the wrong places.

I do all the work myself, so it takes a few years to restore a car. I have website here:

http://www.relicrecyclery.com/...age1/CamaroIPC_1.htm

that I document the restoration as I go.

I would like to here all feedback, positive and negative, as I go.

Chris Many

"If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can !"

Avid home restorer of classic cars.

Posts: 155 | Location: Highgate Falls, Vermont | Registered: 04 May 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Racing
posted Hide Post
I butt-welded the new quarters in, so the door jambs, conv top opening, trunk opening and tail panel area are all factory original.

Posts: 155 | Location: Highgate Falls, Vermont | Registered: 04 May 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Racing
posted Hide Post
Original tail panel.

Racing
posted Hide Post
New trunk pan and wheelhouses. I reproduced the dimples on the trunk that are used on coupes and on Firebirds for locating spare tire and jack mounting brackets.

Racing
posted Hide Post
The seat back is actually repo, but just the part that you see here. The piece in the trunk is original. The repo part came with extra holes that I had to weld up. The original seat back was cut into when the car was tubbed, so it had to be replaced. The section of the floor in the outer corners (one side appears in black) was ruined when a roll cage was added. This was an easy fix.

Racing
posted Hide Post
Here it is during the sandblasting process. The car actually only had rot at the top of the dash, but only in one corner.

Racing
posted Hide Post
Day one. Isn't it lovely ?

Racing
posted Hide Post
It didn't look very good from this side either.

Supporter 2007
Victory Lane
Picture of L181A L35
posted Hide Post
Nice work!

Posts: 1696 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Holy cow.. nice work is right.. going quick too. Man Rick H is gonna love seeing this baby saved

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Great choice to save the jambs etc

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Looks great
Way better than when I saw it in Lewiston, NY, when Rick had it and was figuring out how to proceed.Only thing of mention is to leave seam sealer out of tailpan below the bumper line.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Racing
posted Hide Post
The fact that the factory did not apply seam sealer where the quarters meet the lower tail panel is definitely worth mentioning. Luckily I found mention of that on an earlier post on this forum. While working in that area I found it weird that there was an open gap where water is free to get in and rot the bottom of the tail panel and quarters.

One the right side I had to reshape the corner of the new quarter panel to make the gap look correct (pictured). On the left side I was able to save that portion of the original quarter.

Chris Many

"If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can !"

Avid home restorer of classic cars.

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
They had the " flush and dry " mentality back then for all the belly that was in the road wind.. They seamed the top obviously so water would not get into the trunk. the biggest mistake was not having baffled drains in the low spots of the trunk pan and 4 foot wells under the carpet.. these cars would have survived MUCH better had they done that

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
You do nice work man