Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    Rotor Dust Cap Dimples
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rotor Dust Cap Dimples
 Login/Join

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted
I always wondered about it, and the people who reproduce the rotor dust covers even today do not seem to know why.

Years ago I investigated and then found the reason and then set out to find a pair of NOS factory Chevrolet Delco front wheel hub noise "static collectors".

What they are is a matched set of a brass coils for installation in each of the rotor hubs.

The coils were designed to eliminate electrical interference generated from the motion of the hub and bearing assembly, so the front wheel hubs used these cone shaped springs known as "static collectors". eliminating radio noise induced into the cars AM radio from the front wheel bearings.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Rotor

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Rotor assembly

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
The Static Collector head rides against the lathe tip and the rotor dust cap. The dimple was designed to catch and hold residual grease flung out of the bearing away from the static collector.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. A lot of engineering went into that little assembly just to make the radio sound better.

Posts: 418 | Location: Springfield, Illinois | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Nice article Phil. I was also wondering about the static collectors. Were they installed on all radio optioned cars or were they a separate option altogether?

Posts: 1602 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the Track
posted Hide Post
Only on disc brake cars

Posts: 90 | Location: colts neck, n.j. | Registered: 12 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Here is the visual

Phil@camaropacecars.com