Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    repo door decal question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

repo door decal question
 Login/Join

Racing
posted
Hi peeps, long time no post. I finished my 1967 RS/SS Conv project a few years ago and finally decided to put pace car decals on it as I suspect my car was one of those dealer replicas. That and I like the decals. Anyways, I bought a set from Camaro Central and it turns out that they are OER brand. Probably doesn't matter. So I need to determine if they are the kind that involves wetting the panel or if they are just the stick-on type. When I peel the backer back they look stick on, but are they? Would the wetted kind feel sticky?

Here are some pics. The backer reads "orajet"

Chris Many

"If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can !"

Avid home restorer of classic cars.

Posts: 155 | Location: Highgate Falls, Vermont | Registered: 04 May 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Racing
posted Hide Post
front

Chris Many

Posts: 155 | Location: Highgate Falls, Vermont | Registered: 04 May 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Racing
posted Hide Post
the car

Chris Many

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
They look ok but if the big letters are baby blue and not closer to navy blue don't use them.

These are the kind you spray bottle soak the door with soapy water and float the decal into place then squeegy all the water and air bubbles away. take patience and skill to rid the decal of air bubbles

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Racing
posted Hide Post
I called Camaro Central and they told me they were peel and stick on. I ended up cutting them into 3 pieces lengthwise to install them. tell me what you think of the colors and fonts. Not visible from the pictures, but if you look really really close you can tell that they were printed on a printer because of the raster lines.

Chris Many

Racing
posted Hide Post
RH door

Racing
posted Hide Post
Outside

Racing
posted Hide Post
close up. sorry limited by file size of 200K.

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
This the actual color. We've asked them to stop selling those over the years but like any corporation they couldn't care less. Andy Wolf in Indiana makes ones that are quite correct. If your ok with those let it ride. few people know the difference or even see these cars in person.

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Chris, good to hear from you again! I have referenced some of your work several times as we iron out lingering details on my car.

I think the decal question resurfaced a couple years ago (raised by Chris I think)??. Does anyone know if those contacts are active on the site (or if they ever were)? I did some web searching, it appears there was an Indianapolis Chevy dealership in that name that closed its doors in 2008. Perhaps a connection?

https://www.ibj.com/articles/9...oing-out-of-business

https://indianaeconomicdigest....anapolis/31/62/38728

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by manyc:
...wetting the panel or if they are just the stick-on type ...they look stick on, but are they? Would the wetted kind feel sticky?
(1) We did my car about a year ago. The back side was sticky, but even so they were floated on with a decal wetting solution and squeegeed. In the PHX climate it did not take very long to dry.

(2) I know Stencils and Stripes has '67 decals on their website. Not sure who is manufacturer (or if they do their own)? Pictures aren't real clear as to the actual hue of their blue lettering?? Can't say they look 'right' but can't say they look 'wrong' either. Asked a couple years ago but didn't get a straight answer...

quote:
Originally posted by manyc:
...they told me they were peel and stick on.
...I ended up cutting them into 3 pieces lengthwise to install them.
(3) I would say CC probably not a reliable source for installation advice... a good supplier but not specialized in this area

(4) Cutting the strips allows much more precise application. Also makes them ALOT easier to handle! ('Have it your way'... from the vintage photos it looks like no two cars were done exactly the same way unless if by accident)

(5) I would say the fonts look very good (in my opinion)

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Racing
posted Hide Post
thanks for your replies.
I tried Andy Wolf a few year ago and got put on his wait list for reordering. looks like it isn't happening.

I did cut mine into 3 strips to put them on. Had to anyways as the driver side had the top line in the wrong location.

Chris Many

Racing
posted Hide Post
more better

Racing
posted Hide Post
more of the car in this one.

Chris Many

Racing
posted Hide Post
as a finishing touch, I installed this overpriced original dealer license plate.

Chris Many