Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    Charley Maule...Newest member
Page 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 50
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charley Maule...Newest member
 Login/Join

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
One of my cars during disassembly.. Kick is darkest blue, carpet and floor mat are different colors and the dash metal speaks for itself. All are nowhere near matching ( keeping in my different materials and decades of fade) of course.

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Three original dash pads from the past. Never could figure out what was going on here to be honest.. Different vendors? GM replacement? Firebird?

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Disassembly photo. The 3 spoke wheel was molded in black plastic and painted blue. ( The Impala style deluxe wheels are molded in blue fyi) The wheel clearly does not match the column. Another angle of how dark the kick panels are in reality.

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Last. My attempt here at mis-coloring the glove box door in barely visible. I think I put a drop of black in the mix but it wasn't nearly enough. Also note the blue molded window crank knob. I think it is faded but I bet they didn't match perfect when new either.

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
pic. PS I did not hit my mark trying to perfectly match the carpet to the door panel carpet but it is what it is. Note the original hard plastic molded directional switch is also a faded match to the roll up knob

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Your technique for the interior is the best on the planet.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Here is an NOS one. The face circle is damaged but the dimple and the casting parting line are there.

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
My idea at the time was to have the original dated glasses resilvered.. I forget what happened but that idea was rejected by whomever

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I decided to buy a repro mirror from Paragon Corvette with dated glass per my needed date. I was then going to swap the whole head to the NOS base and have a techno-perfect mirror.. I think I still just need to do the swap? It was YEARS ago. Bad pic but it says 11 DMI 6

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
You can see the date on my 04A Pacer was November of 1966. I don't doubt it. Paragon can be reached at the number on the box if they are still doing dated mirror glass.

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Tom; lots of good thoughts. You bring up a lot of good points, and thanks as always!

Back to the paint... I should have better clarified a very important point (one that perhaps I am taking for granted after beating it to death)... The glovebox that came back from the paint shop DOESN'T FIT. We need to paint a 'correct' one, which is what started this whole boondoggle.

Here's a side view of Camaro glovebox door vs. 'whatever' originally got painted. (WEIRD lighting effects but the same blue parts)

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
On the notion of strategic variation for 'effect' (i.e. keeping it 'legit'), and the variations in plastic parts vs. metal, & Fisher-painted vs. Chevy... Salient points but I don't think we are going to go there. We've previously noted that reducer mix and spray pressure can produce different effects. But I think introducing so many variables will greatly increase the risk of still more problems. Maybe tweak the pressure, mix (or something), on the steering wheel? But I think that's where we draw the line.

Here's what the 'new paint' sample looks like in its proper place. I think the difference here is just too much to gloss over.

Door itself is a scrap part for paint testing,

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Window knobs; turn signal knob; etc. are OEM blue parts, and not going to screw with them except for clean-up. Chris Many had recommended something he used. I need to follow-up on it.

Phil made mention of the many different interior hues. Kicks, carpet, welting, upholstery, dash pads, dash top, (more), all have their own idiosyncracies. This segment of commentary deals ONLY with the blue dash panel & similarly-painted parts. The other stuff, we beat to death a long time ago and I am very happy with the outcomes.

Also to note: It is DAMNED DIFFICULT to get good representative photos, because there are so many subtle variations even before accounting for lighting & flash effects. The gauge carriers (for example) have more curves than Scarlett Johansson. You can find almost the whole blue spectrum on them somewhere.

I was drafting a loosely-related "Lounge" topic couple months ago that I never finished. I'll have to find where I left off and finish that up!

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
P.S. I'm advised we had a visitor from the North last week (not at liberty to drop names, but a noted expert who has offered advice on several occasions). I'm advised he was in agreement the paint is off. Was also advised he did not like our OEM mirror (too scratched); said go to Paragon for new dated glass. We are having the 'good' OEM housing re-chromed.

Paragon doesn't have the Camaro mirror anymore, which is why I posted the "Whose Is Best?" question.

Regards to all and Happy Thanksgiving! ...Charley

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Called PARAGON today to order my dated mirror glass.

There's a comment on website says "will not fit original mirrors"? ( https://www.paragoncorvette.co...ror-glass-dated.aspx ) Not sure why; they confirmed size is 4.25" just like our original(s). It also says "For more information call an order taker" so that's what I did.

I also asked about the #1610 Camaro mirror (5 posts above), they said it has been discontinued. In case it may make some difference to somebody some day... Told them; I had heard from multiple sources, it was THE best '67 Camaro mirror available.

Aside from Tom's recommendation above, Jerry MacNeish had given a strong recommendation on the CRG site (though that was 10 years ago) http://www.camaros.org/forum/i...75.msg10489#msg10489