Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    Charley Maule...Newest member
Page 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 50
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charley Maule...Newest member
 Login/Join

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Charlie,

Very few that do restorations use the sealer on the inner wheelhouses unless it is a driver.

Stripes were used. I have documented multiple cars with stripes and when you understand that the stripes were placed on the shaft to be sure the right shaft made it into the correct build configuration it all makes sense.

As to your specific car Rossi already sealed the deal in this matter way back in in the 1990's in the old USCC publication "Camaro Enthusiast" with his photo essay/report of the details found on Brett Merrymann's original 19,451 mile 1967 396/4Speed car.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
PHIL; THANK YOU... (yet again)... you're amazing!

And of course (again) a nod to Mr. Rossi, who had the incredible foresight to start capturing this stuff 20-something-plus years ago.

You guys are the greatest... THANK YOU

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Hello all... Have a couple new questions... Hard to believe nearly 3 months have passed since the previous exchange/updates. I've had my nose to the grindstone out here. Spending what seems like an insane amount of time researching detail minutiae, and chasing down obscure and/or dated parts...

Anyway... Questions:

1) COIL SPRINGS/Finish: Any product recommendations from folks that have done this and may be willing to share feedback on their experience?
  • Car was recently inspected by a known expert (no name dropping), feedback given to use a 'blackish oxide' finish (but not sure what or how?).
  • Consensus feedback from several places on the CRG site, suggests natural/bare metal finish is considered 'correct'. Continued discussion further suggests a light protective rub with axle grease, but notes the downside of attracting dust & dirt. I am not thrilled with this idea and would prefer something of lower maintenance.
  • If no better ideas, default solution may end up being Cast-Blast? ...which may not judge well, so exploring options first?

2) TRUNK MAT: Is the bottom (rear) of the mat supposed to rest flush (approximately) against the tail panel? Or is it supposed to come up the panel 2-3 inches? The reproduction mat (ACC) seems to have excess material (maybe?)...
  • a) If laid in place using the wheelhousings for placement; it laps-up 2-3 inches up the tail panel.
  • b) If laid flush with the tail panel, the excess material laps-up 2-3 inches up the wheelhousing.

Either way it covers up the wiring that goes through the trunk floor. Which may seem like a good thing, except for putting pressure on the wires & connections?

The moulded areas corresponding to the floor plugs seem to suggest option (a)? ...But I don't have an original for reference, and want to make sure of placement before I start cutting!

[Footnote: Previous reference/discussion at: https://camaropacecars.com/eve/...733/m/9231062136/p/6 ...TOM THANKS AGAIN

3) GRILL RIVETS: Any suggestions, recommendations, on tools & techniques?

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Are the springs already installed?

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above... over the last several months, spending RIDICULOUS amounts of time searching for parts and researching seemingly innumerable details. Consequently I am FAR behind in updates, but hoping to start catching up.

Some of the coming attractions to be anticipated, should include the following themes (not necessarily in this order), so stay tuned!

• When scope changes... (Subtitle: Hobby or Obsession? Can therapy help?)
  • Quest for the perfect mirror;
  • Antennae UP;
  • Refinishing the Trunk;
  • Fuel Pump Adventures;
  • Sticker On!
  • Coiled Up;
  • Inching closer to the worlds best grill (SEQUEL 2021);

Teaser: If not already aware... Heartbeat City is now offering a 1967 RS GRILLE (FLAT FACE, not with raised ribs like '68). It is listed under #3919060, but the part itself is molded with #3898141. There may be other suppliers; but the HBC offering is at: https://www.heartbeatcitycamar...rrect-GM%23-3919060/

* VERY OBSCURE REFERENCE in the AIM (page Z22/A1) documents revision replacing original #3898141 with new #3921841. The 1968 AIM lists #3919060.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charley Maule,

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
No, whole front suspension is disassembled at the moment... Inspection identified a number of detail fixes... Many being relatively minor, but others may necessitate shock therapy... replacing control arms among the latter...

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Here is the mat from an untouched 03-C IPC.

Actually it came from the selling dealer with two mats! As you can see it tucks up under the two tail lights and terminates.

The reproduction mat is a simple cut to fit project for you.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Good. Clean the springs and paint them with a bare steel base paint. Then use a over spray color to tint the springs to give them a heated look. I use VHT SP-403 Titanium silver blue color.

Last mist a light coat of flat black until you get the desired look of heat treated steel.

Then the trick is to get them installed without scratching them all up with the spring compressor

The look of the correct natural finish with no rust concerns in the future.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
PHIL, THANK YOU...... (again)

They say 2 mats are better than one... (or maybe they don't)(LOL)

Is that the same car we talked about?

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Yes. Same car

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Things have slowed down out here after a frenzy of activity in April-May, unfortunately culminating in a missed end-of-May target date I had arbitrarily set. Although disappointing, nevertheless an opportunity to work more deliberately toward raising our game...

Thank you to Phil for the input on spring treatment (work in-progress).

While we're still working on the suspension, posting a quick view for feedback... Bare steel (the generally accepted standard) vs. Cast Blast, side by side... Guess which is which?

Whichever way we go, also will use for tie rods, etc.

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Not to keep anyone hanging...
The lower one is painted using Cast Blast.
The upper one (bare steel) is freshly sandblasted then matte-cleared for protection...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charley Maule,

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
An unplanned scramble to the shop today (shortly after previous post)... Got word that treatment of the springs was in progress.

As I had mentioned previously, most of the recommendations called for some variation of oiled bare steel, or dark oxide treatment. After agonizing over several recommendations, we decided to run with Phil's technique above. The benefit of longer-term sustainability will, I expect, far more than offset possible dings at show time.

Here's what we settled in on. And another BIG THANK YOU to Phil, for taking the time to provide realtime feedback while I blindsided him with photos from the shop!

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
We decided to 'schutz' the front wheelwells, regardless whether most folk may opt not to do so. After all, the General did put it in the book...

Just a light 'shpritz' with the 'schutz' toward the rearward side... Just enough so you can tell it's there, but not hiding anything either!

Very hard to get good photos of the wheelhouses, this one (if you look carefully) shows the texture difference between front & rear.

Staples will be reworked...

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Old news... NOS AC-Delco FUEL PUMP #40468 (Specific to L-35), date code DG (April 1967)