Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    Charley Maule...Newest member
Page 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 50
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charley Maule...Newest member
 Login/Join

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
We took the windlace/end caps from the hardtop... John spiffed them up for me, but even afterwards something still didn't look right...

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Spent God only knows how much time researching these on CRG and elsewhere. I came to learn, apparently there are two styles (called "open" and "closed" in what limited discussion I could find at CRG). I would have called them "bullet shaped" and "lip" style myself (but nobody asked me).

REF: 1967 windlace end cap style open or closed? --> http://www.camaros.org/forum/i...0;prev_next=prev#new

I distinctly recall something different from my convertible. Something that looked a lot more like THIS:

quote:
OER door welting review (in 1967 Tech. & Restoration) by Tom McGinnity
------
https://camaropacecars.com/eve/...26#7211078726

------------
Here's the year 2020 version:

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Tom's 2011 review (link above) is still dead-on target as far as I'm concerned.

The profile on these is EXACTLY what I remember from my convertible. Although; I was surprised to find the cap itself was much more rigid than I expected. My recollection was this part being spongy-rubbery (kinda like weatherstripping). Maybe the plastic degraded between 1967 manufacture and my recollection from 1985-1990 ??

[some might say it was my recollection that degraded? But then I'd have to slap somebody...(LOL)]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charley Maule,

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Don't think I posted this before.

CONVERTIBLE REAR WINDOW STAMP from Al Knoch's...

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Another not exactly new; but not before posted...

Window cranks with the blue knobs cleaned-up pretty good! (i think).

John & I made a pact long ago, best of any duplicate parts would go to the Pacer resto...

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Steering Wheel needed a sizeable amount of TLC...

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Work-in-progress... JB-Weld the miracle cure for everything duct tape can't fix

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Ready for paint...

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
SO... WHERE'S THE PAINT...??

Ran into a MINOR setback at this point... Without going into a long-winded explanation, the wrong GLOVEBOX DOOR went to Paint Shop in late 2012 with the rest of the car. Believe it came from a Firebird I pulled many parts from, long long ago. Would have expected these to be interchangeable?? It looks ALMOST right, and it fits into the opening OK... But the thickness is different & the latch doesn't align properly!

With the dash panel "under construction" over several years... Nobody noticed 'till it came time to button-up the glovebox!
DOESN'T FIT... LATCH is different somehow!

SO... NEED TO PAINT NOT ONLY THE STEERING WHEEL (Which by itself, would not be such a big deal)... BUT ALSO *correct* GLOVEBOX DOOR (Bigger deal, in hopes of matching the existing paint)

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
SO... AFTER ALL THESE YEARS... I'M BACK IN THE BLUE PAINT BUSINESS...

First a brief review in the Ancient History department...

While we did my exterior with DuPont ChromaBase (4024K Ermine White; Marina Blue #4850K);

My interior was done with the original PPG DURACRYL lacquers (mostly #13379, exc. dash top #13217)...

... which are no no longer in production ( https://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG...DDL-Duracryl-Acrylic )

-------------------------

SO... WHAT TO DO...???

Paint shop thought they could hack something to match from modern supplies... Holding this thought for now...

I Did a BUNCH of searching on the Web...

Eventually; I came across these folks: TCP Global (The Restoration Shop) ** ---> https://www.autocolorlibrary.c...arentHorizontalTab34

I specified PPG # 13379 (Medium Bright Blue). They said "No Problem!" The guy I spoke to was even a '67 Camaro guy!

----------------------

** I later found this to be the same place TOM had discovered & commented back in 2012:

quote:
Lacquer paint available (in 1967 Tech. & Restoration) by Tom McGinnity ---> https://camaropacecars.com/eve/...131072346#2131072346

Since the DURACRYL is no longer being manufactured, obviously they can't get it. BUT; they said they MANUFACTURE THEIR OWN (including all the tints); and have all the color matching recipes.

If you live in CALIFORNIA: sorry, you're S.O.L. Product cannot be sold in CA.

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
I WILL POST MORE UPDATES SHORTLY WITH FEEDBACK FROM PAINT TESTING...

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Great work, car is coming along fabulously.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Window fuzzie picture: fantastic fitment.. top notch

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2007
Victory Lane
Picture of L181A L35
posted Hide Post
Looking good Charley!

Posts: 1696 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Racing
posted Hide Post
Hi Charley, I love the progress so far.

I found this stuff, Incredible Pink, will clean the yellowing on the window cranks better than you have it now. Warning: it will damage paint, decals, and will burn your skin. I use it to clean plastic parts and some greasy parts. Don't get it on your vinyl.

Also while on the subject, I think I saw somewhere's that the drivers window crank goes between 4 and 5 oclock (4:30) with the window up and the passengers side goes between 7 and 8 oclock (7:30). Don't remember where I saw it, maybe CRG.

-Chris

Chris Many

"If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can !"

Avid home restorer of classic cars.

Posts: 155 | Location: Highgate Falls, Vermont | Registered: 04 May 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post