Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    Charley Maule...Newest member
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 50
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charley Maule...Newest member
 Login/Join

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Car looks really solid. Any car with a good trunk and floor has been looked after considering the age. Keep us posted on the progress.

Posts: 1601 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
OK This is crazy.. First your not sure what direction to take the restoration or to restore at all vs. sell.. Now you have a totally stripped and blasted shell......

My kinda guy Cheers roll

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I had a funny feeling this car was solid.. I was however expecting to see rotted out trunk drops once the quarter was cut off... they look fine though confused

My theory that the 1/4 rot came via inside the trunk is now shot and I cannot for the life of me figure out was it was that made that localized rot?? regardless.. the cars great

Can't wait to hear what your plans are and how much new and/or restored parts your going to put on

Real happy for you brother first

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Z11Weaver
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you decided to patch panel your Qtr's. I bet after seeing your car blasted clean, you are glad you went with this decision as well. Btw, Once your patch panels have been welded in and the welds ground down, you can have that area media blasted again making it almost impossible to tell that the metal had been worked on. Just some gee whiz info for ya.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom McGinnity:
OK This is crazy.. First your not sure what direction to take the restoration or to restore at all vs. sell.. Now you have a totally stripped and blasted shell......

HA! Thanks for putting things in perspective again Tom-- What a long way this has come since December (with a couple weird plot twists along the way). I guess now we're making up for lost time!! If I spend another 30 years just talking about restoring it I may not be able to remember where I left the car!!

John at ACRS and his guys have been kicking tail getting the car torn down & moving on to sandblasters. I know they wanted to get as much work done as possible before the blast furnace Phoenix summer heat kicks in (temps just yesterday hit over 100 degrees). Think they also wanted to get me into this waist deep before I had time to change my mind (Just kidding!!!... not that that was very likely!).

Thanks to all of you who contributed advice on the 1/4 panel options, particularly Tom, Geoff, David, Z11Weaver, Lawrance, Jeb, Brad, and apologies to anybody I missed. (Separate discussion thread at https://camaropacecars.com/eve/...733/m/2691038536/p/1 )

regards all... Charley

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charley Maule,

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Z11Weaver
posted Hide Post
Charley,

I'm glad to see that you are taking the time to save a great car. Here is my latest atempt at puting another Pace Car back on the road.

Tom

Posts: 1416 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
It's been awhile since the last update. Things have slowed down a bit. Car is now in the body/sheetmetal shop (Sterling's Old Steel of Mesa AZ) awaiting parts delivery. A collection of wheelhouses, quarter drops, etc. in the trunk but still awaiting delivery of a couple more pieces before things really get started. Most of these will not be used in their entirety, only sectioned off to repair the rust damage. After blasting, found the rear tail panel to be kind of wrinkled in a couple places (not unexpected) from many-years-earlier collision damage. Sterling is going to try to iron out the wrinkles and save the factory-original panel. Expecting car will be in the body shop stage for 2-3 months. More on this story as things move forward...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charley Maule,

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<KevinK>
posted
Charley,
Congratulation on the car (you've owned that one a LONG time Smiler.

Just to comment, if you do have any Van Nuys related questions, 'my' car was one. Noting that I have since sold my car to GM, but keep tabs on it when I can.

This is how it was when I found it (Las Vegas, '87)

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Looking GREAT!

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Update from the body shop: Work in progress...

Combination of green etching primer over bare metal, and gray primer over that...

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Left quarter... work in progress... piecing it together...

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Right quarter... inner drop looks kinda like swiss cheese... think this one's gonna go...

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Charley, now is the time to take pictures of the hidden VIN info (by the heater fan and cowl area). With the car this far apart and the areas open, make good use and take some pictures. Glad to see another car being restored. Great work.

Posts: 1601 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Thamks, that slipped my mind when i was shooting pictures Friday. Not sure where are all the locations are supposed to be? I do have pix of one obvious one I saw under the heater fan opening. Isn't there supposed to be another one on the cowl somewhere? Any others? Thanks...

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Fantastic work. Love seeing the pictures Charley checkered flag