Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    Charley Maule...Newest member
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 50
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charley Maule...Newest member
 Login/Join

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Hello again...

Aside from my previous question: (above--Does anyone know if there might be a difference between dash top textures of VanNuys cars vs. Norwood cars?????)

Also another question (maybe this is one for Phil??): Does anybody know what was the paint manufacturer/product they actually used in production?? (The paint chart seems to imply all 3 paint manufacturer's products are interchangeable-- but now I'm starting to wonder if there might be subtle differences (like in this case the suede texture))

THANKS!!!

Posts: 668 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Charley,

Sorry I missed your post Tom Just alerted me to it.

I would have to dig out and look at the 1967 Norwood Fisher Body Prints again - but I am pretty sure there was a booth just for interior paints and Enamel was used for that application.

At Norwood PPG through its "Forbes Finishes" Brand at Fisher Body was the primary paint supplier. Dupont was the back up supplier.

Dupont was the primary at Chevrolet with PPG as the back up.

Cannot say with clairity what was used at LOS. Sorry. Frowner

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Tom thanks for the info. on phosphate do's, dont's & do-it-yourselfs. My restoration guy (John) and I spent some time discussing phosphate applications before we kicked off the project. He pointed out the phosphated parts (esp. nuts & bolts) have a tendency to rust in 3-5 years unless the car is kept in climate-controlled storage (which is over my head). So I was shying away from it for most applications, considering my objective is longer-term preservation of a "driver"-car (however occasional) in a family-garage environment. We may make some use of it, however very judiciously.

On a side note: I noticed Mike (L181A L35) made mention (in 2007) to the "C.A.R.T." designation, which I had first heard of back in the old U.S.C.C. days (mid-late 80's). Your description of the phosphate cook-off process** without question qualifies for this badge of honor (Aside from your wealth of advice on just about everything!).

**P.S. So what do you to top that for tailgate parties????

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charley Maule,

Posts: 668 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Regarding the dash top:
-------------------------

1) Phil-- thank you for your response above. If PPG was the most likely supplier we must be on the right track-- although I am tearing the remainder of my hair out over the texture issue.

2) Bad news: I spoke to 2 different Dupont suppliers yesterday, both told me the same thing: the #9286-LH Dark Bright Blue is no longer available-- they discontinued lacquers over 10 years ago-- and they didn't have a cross for that color to modern day paints. So-- that shoots down my bright idea of trying another supplier to see if we get similar results.

3) Good news (maybe?)-- I'm expecting to see yet another sample for the dash top tomorrow. I've been advised the painters think they are onto something... can't wait to see what they've got...

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
Charley,
We can't wait either! Any new news is exciting on this topic and is going to be a great read. You're the man! Keep up the good work.

Posts: 2067 | Location: Sacramento/Auburn area, CA | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Dash Top-- Chapter 5-- maybe the final chapter??
================================================

Visited paint shop again this morning, expecting another round of samples for comparison, etc. To my surprise the dash top was painted up-- and in my opinion looked pretty darn good!!

On my last visit to the paint shop I noticed a piece of office furniture that had a very fine-grained pebble texture (maybe melamine or Formica, not sure but something like that). I pointed this out to the painters as a pretty good example of the desired end result.

This is probably going to be an unorthodox conclusion, considering there has been so much discussion on this site emphasizing the use of the Suede. We found the suede, at least in this particular paint, caused us more problems with the sandpaper-like texture. Varying amounts of lacquer thinner, spraying techniques, etc. didn't seem to make much difference, it still came out feeling like sandpaper.

So-- in this iteration, here's what they did: 1) Urethane primer- medium coat- & let set. 2) Lite Scotchbrite treatment to etch primer. 3) Spray color #13217 (Ditzler/PPG Duracryl) Dark Bright Blue-- specially mixed OMITTING THE SUEDE. Lacquer thinner 1.5 parts to 1 part paint. Flattener added since suede was omitted.

The primer base (although I didn't see it) apparently has just enough texture to closely resemble the original finish. I'm pretty happy with the end result...

Following are a couple pictures... will post more when completed (there is some minor touch-up still remaining)

-------------------
CAVEAT: Kids before you try this at home-- I would strongly suggest trying this technique on a piece of scrap metal or something before applying it to an actual car-- there was an awful lot of trial & error involved in getting to this point.

------------------------
(Note 3/8/2013: CHAPTER 6 continued on Page 15)

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Close-up:

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Comparison (note the angle & lighting are different):

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Also while I'm at it: HELP!! URGENTLY NEEDED!! PLEASE!! I need to get back to my painter ASAP...

I need to know how high up from fender bottom are the front and rear termination points for the nose stripe (lower portion under the SS letters). Stencil kit doesn't look right?? ...and I don't have any good measurements (ARRGH). From eyeballing pictures the rear term point looks maybe about 1" above fender bottom?? The front term point (following the nose contour) has to be higher... maybe about 2"???

Also need to know how wide is the center stripe supposed to be... Stencil kit lays out at 3.75"; but that doesn't look right???

Great picture but no help with no measurements... ARRGH

THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Charley,

I write is detail about the production problems with the application of the BB stripe in the book.

Too much to cover here... Lots of variation through the spring then things got steady from an application point from moving forward.

I have pictures of some original early cars that look to have many variations in width and the drop. Big Grin

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Charley.. things crashed badly for me since we talked yesterday.. I appologize.. I am working this right now...

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13406 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Here is a survivor pic.. Norwood.. maybe April

Posts: 13406 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
This is also a survivor. I have no plant or date info

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I'm going to my storage to take pic with measurement of my cars stripe.. stay tuned

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
another original for you