Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    0-1 Paint Research conclusion
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

0-1 Paint Research conclusion
 Login/Join

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
BTW

For some reason there was some question yesterday about if the trucks were made at Norwood.....Not only are they listed in a 66 Truck owner's manual this info can also be found in 2 different source books, Standard Catalog of Chevy Trucks and Catalog of Chevy Truck ID Numbers..... 1966 was the last year for truck production in Norwood!

Posts: 9137 | Location: Ventura, Ca. | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
That is an interesting paint chart....They don't even call CC Ermine!
I believe there was a factory that was north of the border that made Chevelles...maybe due to the nasty Winters up there they found painting some of their cars in enamel would last longer!? confused

Posts: 9137 | Location: Ventura, Ca. | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Winters up there they found painting some of their cars in enamel would last longer!?

60's era Fords and Chryslers would negate that theory. Wink

Posts: 2961 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Steve, wasn't the enamel paint more durable?

2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steve, wasn't the enamel paint more durable?

Baked enamel is more durable because it's much thicker and harder (harder from the baking). Where the lower panels of baked enamel cars chipped, they would scab much more profoundly and rust out quicker than lacquer cars. This may have been caused by the undercoats (primers)being different also.

Posts: 2961 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Jon,

Thanks for the link. Cheers

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<1967Z28>
posted
You're welcome, Phil. I wish there was more information there however.

-Jon

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Do any Chevelle guys have a prefix #9? I find that very very interesting. I also think that with this sheet being called Passenger Car and not Truck or what have you that it could be possible other cars were actually painted with enamel in 67? I don't know but why the heck mention a prefix to look for if they didn't? I think they made Chevelles in a lot of mixed plants didn't they? I know little of Chevelles Frowner

I know enough about paint to think that painting enamel might have been a lot easier than people think to shoot.. Put it through the tubes ( they cleaned them every shift anyway ) and keep the ovens burning! Who wouldn't want a baked enamel finish confused

I chemically strip my own sheetmetal and always the gray initial primer stays.. Its super crazy tough stuff, I know first hand and many times I leave it and refinish right over it...( an initially lacquered car getting painted modern dupont base-clear ) No issues with compatibility.. granted its 40 year old rock hard paint

My opinion is that I think they very well could have been enamel

Is Rossi correct that all the rims were enamel? if so then they already had eneamel white on site.. If a white Camaro got dog dish or full wheel covers I think I was told they got body colored wheels.. If the wheels were white & enamel.. ipso facto..enamel was on site

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Trunk lid chemically stripped 3 times over and pressure washed clean.. The gray stays regardless of how long the stripper remains on top.. this is the best pic I have for right now, I broke some spots down with the DA

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Tom, what was the stripper compound you used. Was it dipped? Thanks..

Posts: 871 | Location: Port Orchard Wa. | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Regular Aircraft Paint Stripper from NAPA

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Just found this on another site regarding special paint...

Don't know how correct it is or if its stuff we have covered in the past or not.

http://chevellestuff.net/qd/paintinfo2.htm

Posts: 2766 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Here is some other information that I shared after all the bickering over the EO 1969 Z/28 that surfaced and was later restored.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthread...rder-pain#Post622577

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Did anyone that looked at this link to yenko.net see the autoworker painting that 82 Firebird with no respirator and no gloves? Here's a copy of that photo.

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
bump