Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    0-1 Paint Research conclusion
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

0-1 Paint Research conclusion
 Login/Join

<tech4/2>
posted
Strange how life works sometimes. After entering a comment to this thread. I asked a guy that I saw was selling other late model Color Standards. And what do you know. I found an original 1967 Dupont Truck White Color Standard. hammer

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Mark C>
posted
One point Norwood Built Chevy IIs in 66, not trucks.

One question, regardless of the actual color, can you paint enamel in a plant setup to paint laquer? Not only does it require a different top coat, but one would assume you can not paint enamel top coat over a laquer based primer, and primer surfacer.

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Mark,

There is Two great threads on this topic. So we do not retread on the same ground I suggest you read the entire original 0-1 paint thread here:

https://camaropacecars.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1590019733/m/7960004724

If you have questions after this read I will be more than happy to discuss. Cheers

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Mark C>
posted
I've read the whole thing, and it discusses the color of the cars, not the process for getting enamel on the 03C cars. I'm not questioning the color used by GM, the 0 paint code just indicates special paint instructions. There are plenty of 0 coded cars in 67, (even a Z28). That could be a special paint color or non standard configuration (A Z28 without stripes, or some odd colored stripe, etc). GM could paint a car any color that they had available across their current line of paints. They typically would not create a speacial color but would just draw from existing paint formulas, but since these were for the Indy I wouldn't rule that out.

The real question regarding the paint is was it possible to paint enamel on a car and get a "show finish" on it in a plant setup soley to produce laquer finished cars. The subject was broached a couple of times in this thread and the other, but never progressed. Why would GM use a material the plant workers were not familiar with. These guys painted 900 cars a day and were probably pretty good at what they did.

If they couldn't paint enamel using the existing plant equipment, and there are a batch of original enamel finished cars, then those cars were not painted in the assembly plant. Which also means that the finished cars would have to be stripped all the way back down to a bare shell and repainted.

There was no place to put a decent number of cars (I've got 12 03C 0-1 car info there may be more body numbers start at 709 end at 756 plus a couple of later numbers) offline to paint them if they can't go thru the existing plant hardware. And it would have to be done twice because GM had to paint the dog house and front stripe in enamel as well.

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark,

Are you sure that Norwood didn't produce trucks in 1966?

Posts: 9137 | Location: Ventura, Ca. | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark C:
I've read the whole thing, and it discusses the color of the cars, not the process for getting enamel on the 03C cars. I'm not questioning the color used by GM, the 0 paint code just indicates special paint instructions. There are plenty of 0 coded cars in 67, (even a Z28). That could be a special paint color or non standard configuration (A Z28 without stripes, or some odd colored stripe, etc). GM could paint a car any color that they had available across their current line of paints. They typically would not create a speacial color but would just draw from existing paint formulas, but since these were for the Indy I wouldn't rule that out.[QUOTE]

Mark I am not sure you read both threads. In summary The Paint color is vetted by an IR Match to the original 1967 mix formula for Ermine White. The Process for how this conclusion was reached has been discussed in detail within the threads. If you disagree that is - OK - your opinion is fine by me.

[QUOTE]The real question regarding the paint is was it possible to paint enamel on a car and get a "show finish" on it in a plant setup soley to produce laquer finished cars. The subject was broached a couple of times in this thread and the other, but never progressed. Why would GM use a material the plant workers were not familiar with. These guys painted 900 cars a day and were probably pretty good at what they did.[QUOTE]

There is no question whatsoever. The 03-C cars are confirmed as Emamel. The observed demonstration for the breakthrough to primer with Lacquer thinner on the lacquer 04-A trunk lid was anywhere from 8 to 15 seconds. The breakthrough time with the Enamel was 35 seconds to 40+ These results are entirely consistant to the breakthrough time for enamel with most any other solvent under continous hand rubbing.

[QUOTE]If they couldn't paint enamel using the existing plant equipment, and there are a batch of original enamel finished cars, then those cars were not painted in the assembly plant. Which also means that the finished cars would have to be stripped all the way back down to a bare shell and repainted.
There was no place to put a decent number of cars (I've got 12 03C 0-1 car info there may be more body numbers start at 709 end at 756 plus a couple of later numbers) offline to paint them if they can't go thru the existing plant hardware. And it would have to be done twice because GM had to paint the dog house and front stripe in enamel as well.

Discussing "Where they put the cars" is not my concern and is speculative. You are entitled to your opinion. I understand you disagree, again - OK by me. hello

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2007
Victory Lane
Picture of L181A L35
posted Hide Post
Well, I was told by John Hinkley the wheels were painted in enamel. Maybe this should be looked into.

Mike

Posts: 1696 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Mark C>
posted
Norwood never built trucks they were always a passenger car plant.

Yes wheels were painted in enamel in a different section of the plant and sent thru their own drying oven prior to the tires being mounted.

You guys have a lot of good info and done alot of research but if there was no where to put the cars so they could be painted off line, or if the equipment at the plant couldn't support painting with enamel with the equipment installed there then theres a problem with the conclusions reached. Could the plant paint a whole car in enamel or not, simple question?

All these little bits need to fit together to come to a meaningful solution. You've got info in another thread where interviews with a worker said all 53 pacecars came down the line together, yet in this one there seems to be some allowance for maybe they sent them down the line one at a time so they could spend the extra time to pull them offline and paint them one at a time. Can't be both, consistancy is key. I'm asking the question, you have paint guys here that can answer it, can it be done online with the existing setup at the time, yes or no.

If it can great, if it can't, explain to me and everyone else how enamal got on some number (all 53?) of 03C cars thats part of research. If it can't be done with the hardware, or space at hand, you might as well tell me that the cars were assembled by elves at the north pole.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Mark C>,

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark C:

You guys have a lot of good info and done alot of research but if there was no where to put the cars so they could be painted off line, or if the equipment at the plant couldn't support painting with enamel with the equipment installed there then theres a problem with the conclusions reached. Could the plant paint a whole car in enamel or not, simple question?

Yes Enamel on both sides.

All these little bits need to fit together to come to a meaningful solution. You've got info in another thread where interviews with a worker said all 53 pacecars came down the line together, yet in this one there seems to be some allowance for maybe they sent them down the line one at a time so they could spend the extra time to pull them offline and paint them one at a time. Can't be both, consistancy is key. I'm asking the question, you have paint guys here that can answer it, can it be done online with the existing setup at the time, yes or no.

Yes. A spray gun will spray Enamel. The oven is shut down and the cars proceed down the line.

If it can great, if it can't, explain to me and everyone else how enamal got on some number (all 53?) of 03C cars thats part of research. If it can't be done with the hardware, or space at hand, you might as well tell me that the cars were assembled by elves at the north pole.

Mark,

"elves at the north pole"

I have been patient with you. You were warned twice in the L-78 thread to treat others with respect.

Sadly I think you do not get the message.

You registered here in 2005 - yet you only now decide to challange this thread with an endless line of off topic questions. Despite the fact that while the research was going on you did not touch a key to assist us.

Now in your first time thread posts you are now religated to a series of continuing questions about the "assembly process" (which is again off topic) in an obvious play to establish backbone to mount a challange to the overall thread conclusion.

Not playing your game. duh

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure whats going on but this secret agenda stuff is over here at camaropacecars.com.. thank you

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<His 67PC>
posted
Concerning painting enamal using lacquer equipment, it can be done easily. In fact it would likely produce a very good finish. Enamal "flows" longer than lacquer. Enamal can be sprayed over lacquer primer, not the reverse.

Keith C.

<1967Z28>
posted
Interesting bit of research, Phil. I appreciate the amount of effort you put into it. I'm not sure I agree with it yet but I'm taking it under consideration. Wink

As an interesting aside, I saw this '67 paint chart on Team Chevelle and it talks about a prefix in front of cars painted in enamel. First time I had ever seen that. Never seen a Camaro with a prefix to the color but never thought of Camaros being painted in enamel before either.

-Jon

2009 Supporter
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have any 1967 Norwood paint room photos of a car being painted? Do these exist?

Posts: 2961 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Jon,

Do you have a link you can post? Cheers

Phil@camaropacecars.com

<1967Z28>
posted
Sure, Phil. Here it is...

Team Chevelle 1967 paint chart

The 1968 chart also says that #9 before the paint code indicates enamel.

-Jon