Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    Inching closer to the "worlds best grill"
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inching closer to the "worlds best grill"
 Login/Join

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Pic of rivet from other side

Posts: 2769 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
These are the rivets I've had a while.. The black ones are from AMK.. They look real close except they are blacl ( not natural or purple )
The silver ones I bought off eBay as supposed NOS..? confused

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Here is my NOS 3 piece grill assembly ( its a real 1967 with the flat grill not the raised 68 ) These rivets are black and flat.. This is what prompted me to think the AMK rivets are right on the money.. Is it possible all the silver rivets you have shown have shed their original black finish?

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Here is a standard ( non-RS ) grill.. super survivor car ( if I remember right NOR March )This rivet might be more rounded at the top? I don't have another pic to check this unit better

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Here is what I opted to do with my C-1 car.. I used the black AMK rivets on the plastic grill center and the supposed eBay NOS rivets on the trim to valance.. Now we have concluded that I had to put the silver rivets in upside down because the holes in the trim are too big ( bigger than original factory ) for some reason.. this makes the smushed part of the rivet fall straight through.. its a problem we can't solve reasonably ( you'd nedd to have a special rivet made with the same size head but the shank would need to be a much bigger diameter so when smushed it grows to the bigger hole size )

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Here is the one that came out of my C-1.. The grille is originally riveted to the trim but the assembly is clearly reriveted to the lower valance

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I thought I'd snap better pix.. Here is the same grill just turned upside down but the same area so you can see the rivet tops and the bottoms together.. also the grill part # to see it is indeed an original " flat " faced grill

From the ground facing up

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Same rivets from the top looking down.. these rivets are obviously arranged so that if you look into the grill you see the smooth side of the rivet not the nasty smushed side...asthetically pleasing looks is another reason why I think these may have been black but maybe all faded as the finish was very weak?

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
grill #

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
If you do not agree with the black finish... maybe a simple solution is to acid the anodizing off the AMK units before install? I could sacrifice one to try if someone can tell me what chemical might do the trick...

<His 67PC>
posted
Tom, I think your NOS grille is pretty convincing evidence black flat head rivets would have been the original parts. The natural aluminum finish on the used parts I have are probably the result of many years of atmospheric exposure and deterioration from following in the wake of the junk other cars have thrown up off the road. The only other thing that would be nice to see is a low mile survivor car to see what color they are.

I do have to wonder why the headlight door rivets might be different? They most likely would be fairly protected from the elements. Most of the sets I have were remeoved in the early to mid seventies and show no signs of black finish. The other thing to note is my NOS 68 grille assembly has the natural finish rivets. That is another part number and no doubt is likely 10 years newer than the 67 NOS one you have. They could have eliminated the black coating in that time.

A couple things on the AMK rivets:
- Are they they same head diameter as the original parts?
- Are they as shiney as the pictures look? The ones in your grille look dull.
- If they are the right form, it would be a lot easier than buying 10,000 to get 25 or so!

Thanks.
Keith C.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
On the lower valance , were the holes to mount a front spoiler there from factory ? When I bought my car it had a spoiler already on it and I cant tell if someone drilled holes or they were always there. Thanks, EDV.

Posts: 443 | Location: Whitehall, Pa | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<GaryB>
posted
I am crushed that the grill and rivet guy was not consulted on this.
Here is my feedback whether you want it, or not.
These are pictures of my(not so cherry) Pace car grill.

<GaryB>
posted
Next

<GaryB>
posted
Again