Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    Any Recommendations on quarter panels and rear panel?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Recommendations on quarter panels and rear panel?
 Login/Join

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Bad news. I called Heartbeat City yesterday. Their more expensive panel ($870) is out of stock and they do not know when-- or if-- they will be getting any more. Their less expensive panel they said is imported, thinner gauge, and does not have either the door jamb extension or the upper fender extension that mates with the deck below the rear window. Am now looking at other options to see if their panels have the 'telephone' indentation.

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom McGinnity:

Post up a picture of the 1/4's and what issues you think they have

OK, trying again... think maybe i've figured out how to make the pictures fit. Both rear quarters have cracks/holes & rust damage. RR fender is cracked from wheelhouse to tailpan. LR quarter has hole in panel from rust. Both panels have rust at the rear wheelwell opening:

RR quarter

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
RR quarter

RR quarter

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
LR quarter 1 of 2:

LR quarter

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
LR quarter 2 of 2:

LR quarter

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Charley. please unscrew the wheel well moldings and show us the condition of the lip.

If I'm grasping what you want to accomplish correctly after speaking with you earlier this year and understanding your situation.. I think you might strongly consider just patch panels? confused This car has odd rust for the climate it has been in. IF the 1/4's are solid up high and in the area that covers the 1/4 windows and the trunk drops are ok you might well consider that. The benefit of this past the obvious cost savings is that the door jamb area and the trunk jamb area as well as where the 1/4 terminates to the tailpanel will all retain the factory look, stamping numbers, seam sealer etc.. once a good body man smooths the welds for the patches and sprays heavy undercoat from inside the trunk area just like Chevy did... you might well be way ahead..

This car is to be a driver-enjoyment car correct?

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Let me take a minute to make my case and why this option may suit you

My car had fender flairs put on in the 70's and where as the car was a pretty solid, rust free car the flares held the water in and the well lips rotted. Here is a pic soon after I ground off all the Bondo and flair metal

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Aside from this area the 1/4's were fine.. so I cut out the affected area including the few inches of outer wheel well where the 1/4 lip was welded to the well

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
The black sqiggly line shows where I ground the welds down flush. I used a cheapo off shore outer wheel well and an equally cheap outside quarter skin ( but one with a good shaped lip were the wheel well molding goes ) because I used so little of the actual new pieces it seemed a waste to use anything but

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
This pic shows the inside after paint and undercoat.. It actually came out too good in that the outer 1/4 metal and the outer well fit so tight its better than factory

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Chevy made a mess with the sound deadener in the trunk so I did the same... but for me it was to hide the weld marks... The wet area I had just sprayed to hide my work.. the dry area is factory original

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Oh sorry.. here is the inside trunk

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Found a pic of the quarter opened up..

Anyhow.. you can see this could maybe be an option for you.. Its pretty low budget but my motivation was to keep as much of my original quarter panels as possible. I know my work is solid so I'm happy I took this route

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention. This area here is the dead givaway unless you really take your time and do it right. I think I did good

<Larry C Weaver>
posted
If I didnt know better I would say that looks like an up state NY car!Damage looks pretty far up quarter Tom,may be into trunk floor?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post