Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    Seeking inputs on options to build into new resto project?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking inputs on options to build into new resto project?
 Login/Join

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted
Hi guys;
As mentioned in my previous post, expecting resto project on my Van Nuys car will be starting soon.

Wondering if anybody has any opinions whether it makes sense or not to include certain non-original options as this project gets under way. Appreciate any thoughts/suggestions anyone may see fit to offer. Some of the things I am considering include:

* Modern stereo with retro-look chassis-- this seems almost a necessity;
* Power steering-- I've had the car running recently, and have noticed the steering feels very stiff (i've gotten spoiled with power steering in my last 30+ years of driving. Checking several reference books I am of impression there is no trim tag code for power steering? Is this correct?
* Add-on air conditioning (NOTE: Big block car)... having a hard time deciding with this one... because it is so obviously non-original... but it gets HOT out here in Phoenix!!
* Electronic ignition instead of original breaker points; obvious convenience & reliability reasons;
* Also related to the stereo. Rear seat side panels have cutouts below the arm rest where a previous owner had installed speakers. They are done very neatly and steel grilles are painted a matching color; but nevertheless I need to decide whether to leave these cutouts in place; or patch the steel panels and properly upholster the armrest panels.

THANKS FOR ANY OPINIONS/SUGGESTIONS-- regards/CM

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Modern stereo with retro-look chassis-- this seems almost a necessity;no.. buy an iPod and leave the AM in the dash
* Power steering-- I've had the car running recently, and have noticed the steering feels very stiff (i've gotten spoiled with power steering in my last 30+ years of driving. Checking several reference books I am of impression there is no trim tag code for power steering? Is this correct?Add factory looking power steering and enjoy yourself
* Add-on air conditioning (NOTE: Big block car)... having a hard time deciding with this one... because it is so obviously non-original... but it gets HOT out here in Phoenix!!suffer... AC is too complicated and will make the engine bay look unoriginal and that will hurt resale.. drive at night when its cool or put the top down and buy sunblock
* Electronic ignition instead of original breaker points; obvious convenience & reliability reasons;Yes.. or that Petronix one that looks stuck under a small stock cap
* Also related to the stereo. Rear seat side panels have cutouts below the arm rest where a previous owner had installed speakers. They are done very neatly and steel grilles are painted a matching color; but nevertheless I need to decide whether to leave these cutouts in place; or patch the steel panels and properly upholster the armrest panels.

Get good used covers and reupholster them and remove those speakers

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Petronix distributors

Happy to see you wanting to get back rolling in your dream car Charley!

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
Picture of MLakin
posted Hide Post
Yes for your ignition a Pertronix Ignitor is tough to beat. You just replace the points in the distibutor with the ignitor unit and install a magnet ring under the rotor. The only visual difference is an extra wire from the distrubutor to the coil "+" connection. Best part is you can just pull the Pertronix/ring and slap the points back in there down the road if you want to go back original. I have the Pertronix, they have since come out with a Pertronix II and it looks like a III unit. Don't know what changed in the III, but in the I to II update the unit deals with "dwell" a little better than the original.

One note though, you'll need to go with the Pertronix low resistance coil as well, it comes in black and looks stock.

Mike L.

Posts: 2529 | Location: Indy | Registered: 20 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the feedback. Much appreciated. Leaning with Tom's recommendations on the AC, steering, and the ignition. Still undecided on the radio & speakers; we may find an old radio & have it rebuilt with updated electronics while keeping the original intact.

Here's some shots of the rear armrest speaker cutouts. There are no speakers behind the grilles, that's why the black hole in the middle. Grille setup looks like it was intended to blend in with original... believe it dates from 2nd or 3rd owner circa 1967-1970:

Right side:

L side...

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Left side:

left side

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Looking at the pictures of the speakers.. maybe leave the entire thing alone.. they don't look too bad and can be changed out any time.. get the car painted and trimmed and cleaned.. If you hate the speakers later in life swap out the back side panels..Being blue helps them blend in checkered flag

<Larry C Weaver>
posted
Like that crazy seat cover on the drivers seat!! Cheers yea

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Can't beat it for comfort...

<KevinK>
posted
...Here's an option for the radio...

http://www.turnswitch.com/radio1.htm

You can always keep the original aside. Smiler

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Very cool

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
bump