Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1967 side mirror
 Login/Join

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted
Questions on replacing the side mirror glass and what I have found out so far.
I have what I believe is an original side mirror. My understanding is that the Chev Bowtie mirror is a licenced aftermarket replacement.
I bought a dated glass from Heartbeat City. Turns out they buy them from Paragon Corvette.
All good so far. Received the glass and it is too small in diameter to be held into the original mirror with the locking ring.
Paragon has on their site a note saying the glass they sell will not fit into original mirrors, so I'm guessing it only fits in the GM aftermarket replacement mirrors which must have a smaller diameter mirror.
The Paragon mirror measures 4.225" and my original mirror opening is 4.310.
How does someone replace an original mirror with a dated glass replacement?
OR more importantly, if you have an original mirror do not buy a Paragon or Heartbeat City dated glass. Heartbeat was great and refunded my money, but I still need a mirror glass.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
David; maybe I can help (though belatedly)? I regret I am quite far behind with promised updates. One such being, doctoral dissertation (LOL) on 1967 Door Mirrors...

2 yrs ago, I ran into the same issue while trying to solve a similar problem. In my case, wanted to put my original glass in repop mirror (Paragon). I was not happy with the 'look & feel' of the complete repop assembly for couple of reasons (edit: photo #3 below)... Mainly, the snap ring on the repop mirror looked unnaturally wide. I came to learn this was because the glass was too small (as you too have discovered)...

To make a very long story short: I ended up installing my original glass in the repop mirror housing. With an original snap ring. It worked fine and looks pretty good (exc. for glass, minor scratching). It fit close enough that I'm assuming the housings are same size. Will check w/calipers first chance I get (don't have one on hand at this moment).

Assuming it is necessary to use the replacement glass, 2 possible solutions come to mind (there may be more...);

1) The repop mirror uses a wider snap ring to retain the smaller glass. As I mentioned, was not happy with the look of this.

2) Another option (UNPROVEN as we did not try this)... Maybe use some sort of adhesive behind the mirror glass (which I believe is what GM did starting in '68)? This MAY(?) allow one to use the smaller snap ring to preserve the original appearance (though it may be non-functional?). I'm not sure how close the tolerances are? ...if there is a gap, maybe this can be filled with sealer so as to make it virtually invisible?

As mentioned above, we used original glass in a new housing, with original snap ring. If original glass is broken, obviously this is ruled out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charley Maule,

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
This is a layout of 3 mirrors disassembled. 2 OEM & 1 repop (Paragon).

Interesting to note: Both OEM's have part# 3909198 and "CBC C1" cast inside the housing. Hard to tell on the compressed photo...

Note the early mirror has casting provision for the bowtie. It is NOT a bowtie mirror. In the later version the 'bowtie' provision does not appear in the casting.

(edit: reduced compression)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charley Maule,

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
OEM vs. repop (fresh from box)...

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Thanks Charlie, we are on the same page. My original housing is very good shape and my snap ring is the narrow design.
1. If anyone is in a similar situation they sell reproduction mirror glass at a few places that is correct size diameter but is NOT dated.
2. A call to Paragon might get them to use correct diameter mirror and date it.

I also do not like the aftermarket mirror and larger snap ring.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I have a box of stuff when I am near it I'll pull the stuff out and see

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post