Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Tech. & Restoration    Correct Carpet from ACC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Correct Carpet from ACC
 Login/Join

Racing
posted
My car did not come with any carpets. From Charley Maule's posts I see that Trim Parts Sky Blue #512 was the closest match the to the original carpet color. However, Trim Parts sold their carpet division to ACC in Oct 2017. So now I don't know what to buy. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Chris

Chris Many

"If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can !"

Avid home restorer of classic cars.

Posts: 155 | Location: Highgate Falls, Vermont | Registered: 04 May 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2007
Victory Lane
Picture of L181A L35
posted Hide Post
PM Charley Maule through here he may have found a correct match for ACC as well. We did a lot of work on this to make sure that it was as close as possible, but Charley was the last one to purchase the carpet.

Posts: 1696 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Racing
posted Hide Post
I've been trying to get a hold of Charley, but I don't have his email address. I posted a private message to him a while back, but I still haven't heard from him. He had some extra door carpet panels made that I would like to get from him.

Chris Many

Posts: 155 | Location: Highgate Falls, Vermont | Registered: 04 May 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2007
Victory Lane
Picture of L181A L35
posted Hide Post
I have his cell number I will at to contact him for you.

Mike

Posts: 1696 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Hello folks...

CHRIS: Owe you an apology-- I got your PM-- been meaning to reply-- got lost & buried in the meantime. Have a LOT of stuff going on around me at this time. Crappy excuse-- but it is what it is. Will reply to PM with more info soon as i can... may be able to help!

MIKE: THANKS for relay... not been on the site in a while (too long!).

...let me see what i can dig up fast...???

charley

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2007
Victory Lane
Picture of L181A L35
posted Hide Post
It looks like the correct carpet may be 16 13 blue with ACC, but it will still need to be custom made. I called today to get color samples and will report back here.

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I amaze myself... This is one of those times...

Interesting to note: The underlying original carpet is 3 different swatches from 2 different cars... NOTE the many variations due to age, conditions, etc... I will mark this up & repost w/notes...

Posts: 669 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
HELLO... back again... with a couple more snaps & comments...

This is the same picture, commented to explain the 3 seemingly different baseline carpets.

Some added explanation F/W/I/W... The COUPE mentioned is pictured couple of places in 'my' blog... It was what you might call a 'barn find' today... acquired in 1979(+?-) (sans drivetrain; otherwise 100% original) from a machine shop where it was being used as a garbage can... otherwise nearly intact... stored under roof/garage (one or another) in some fashion till 2012.

The CONVERTIBLE swatch is of course from my beloved Pace Car... a remnant of the best-available original carpet when the car was stripped for blasting. It was driven regularly 1967-1975 by others, and by myself 1975-1978(+?-). Usually with top down & wind blowing, radio blasting...

So what's the point...??? 1) There are a lot of different ways to screw up the color of the carpet! Sun, dirt, grime, spilled food, dirty shoes, leaking conv. top fluid, and on and on... 2) REGARDLESS... I think the coupe 'under seat' sample is about as good a benchmark as they come (but one more shot to follow)... and finally; 3) In my original research 2013-14: I was convinced the #512 and the #16/13 were SAME STUFF. We used the #512 simply because my resto guy had a full carpet kit he was stuck with (another customer didn't like the color!).

Victory Lane
Picture of Charley Maule
posted Hide Post
One more for good measure...

I peeled back the welting from an original door carpet (credit Mike for planting the idea)--

LO AND BEHOLD: Underneath were ORIGINAL REMNANTS... NEVER BEFORE EXPOSED TO THE LIGHT OF DAY...

The mashup below shows this pristine sample, overlaid with the then-just-received #512 carpet.

To me... this was irrefutable proof the colors were spot-on.

------------------------------------------

RETURNING TO 2018 from time warp...

1) ABOVE: Mike mentions above he was going to seek fresh samples... this is a great idea. Mike; if you have not yet placed your order-- can you get some for me too?? (OR, let me know who & where you talk to?)

FWIW: the manufacturers always say the samples are only good for a couple months... Although during my 2012-2014 quest I did not notice any discernible change... the fact that corporate buyouts & acquisitions, etc. have taken place since then certainly introduces a new factor...;

2) I'll dig out my 2013 sample sheet for comparison to the new stuff... should be interesting!!!

3) DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE WELTING... not all is the same!!!

HOLY BLUE CARPET BATMAN!!!
STAY BAT-TUNED...

~~\(B)/~~ <--Bat...

Supporter 2007
Victory Lane
Picture of L181A L35
posted Hide Post
Charley,

I already ordered new samples of the 16 13. Once they get here I will forward them on to you, just PM me your address. My wife thinks it is a VERY close match to the 512.

Mike

Supporter 2007
Victory Lane
Picture of L181A L35
posted Hide Post
Samples left to right:

ACC 16 13, original dealer sample and Trim Parts 512. IMHO closest is 16 13 and it will be close enough for any judges!!!

Racing
posted Hide Post
Thanks Charley and Mike for your help and research on this. I too have samples from ACC. When comparing them to your pictures they look like 17 Bright Blue on my monitor. The fact that you both have samples and compared them to the original carpets is the necessary proof that the carpet is actually 16/13 Blue. I am happy about that, not only because I know what to buy, but I also like the look of the darker carpet (and kick panels) with the rest of the interior being a brighter blue.

Chris Many

Supporter 2007
Victory Lane
Picture of L181A L35
posted Hide Post
Chris,

I have a piece of Tom McGinnity's original carpet from a door panel. When peeling back the welting/edging, the center sample from above is a correct match. It is from a dealer parts book. The 512 from Trim Parts was dead on when Charley and I did the research a few years ago. Now that Trim Parts has been sold, the best alternative looks to be ACC's 16 13. You just need the correct welting for the carpet. This was obtained from Knoch. That is in the notes from the previous post. The dash is also custom, as well as the top. If I had my way Knoch, would offer a package with the correct item. But they are not interested in marketing the correct stuff that we anal retentive individuals want.

Mike

Supporter 2007
Victory Lane
Picture of L181A L35
posted Hide Post
I received samples from ACC today.

I ordered another swatch of 16 13 Blue and 06 Ford Blue. The customer sales rep did in fact confirm: 1. 512 is gone and 2. ACC bought out Trim Parts. I asked if they had any old stock of 512, I was told no. I also inquired as to the availability of 16 13 Blue yardage; so that door panels could be made for those wishing to go the "correct" route with Knoch. I was told yes. So, now that 512 is a thing of the past it looks as if 16 13 Blue is the next closest thing.

Also dye lots vary, so shades of carpet will as well. They did at the factory and will with ACC.

I will post pictures later today of the samples and original carpet.

Supporter 2007
Victory Lane
Picture of L181A L35
posted Hide Post
Notice Tyler Collins' original door panels and door panel carpet; which is darker and has the original welting/vinyl. The floor carpet appears to be of a lighter color, but the door panels with door bottom carpet are dead on!!!