Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Indy 500 Pace Car Discussion    Fantastic Color Photo of multiple 1967 IPC's at Oaklandon Chevy/Pontiac in 1967!!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fantastic Color Photo of multiple 1967 IPC's at Oaklandon Chevy/Pontiac in 1967!!!!
 Login/Join 

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
"Drive Away" was a term used mostly when moving a number of Cars at one time.....So yeah!... You may have heard it used in different context.
Dealers, Salesman and even Zone Personnel could all be involved in moving a mini fleet to different Dealerships in and around a Chevrolet Region even out of the region.
Remember the meetings that I wrote about that Jack Bell had with all the Zone Dealerships?? The Dealerships were mostly concerned with how they were going to have to sell over a 125 units of basically the same car......One of the ways was making inter-dealership trades... most seemed to be in the same region but certainly out of the Zone. They would select a staging area or dealership, gather the cars up and leave in basic parade fashion.
I was told of a number of these were used to spread out the sales burdon during both 67 and 69 Programs. ;-)

Posts: 9137 | Location: Ventura, Ca. | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Racing
posted Hide Post
WOW !!! Fantastic picture !!!

Posts: 189 | Location: FRANCE | Registered: 12 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
Nice find! Pictures are worth a thousand words and are good evidence.

Posts: 2069 | Location: Sacramento/Auburn area, CA | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
Picture of MLakin
posted Hide Post
For me, owning the car I do, I'm diggin' that stripper base coupe with the hubcaps and door decals big as life. Always heard that even base coupes had been decaled up, but never before recall seeing photographic evidence of one of them.

Also my bet would be a post race photo. All the cars, even the "zone" cars, are no longer being used and all are now available.

Mike L.

Posts: 2529 | Location: Indy | Registered: 20 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom D
posted Hide Post
Do you guys think this dealership is still around or kept records that far back? If GM didn't keep records then maybe the individual dealerships might have. Just a thought!

Posts: 2069 | Location: Sacramento/Auburn area, CA | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
Picture of Lee 93
posted Hide Post
I know that dealership is gone.

Posts: 2797 | Location: Northeast side of Indianapolis | Registered: 15 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
I see a black noser and what looks to be a hardtop without a nose stripe.

Somebody track this guy down and get a good Hi resolution scan of this image... I agree he likely took more than one photo they were proud of this! Cheers

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of SMKZ28
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by festival:
I agree he likely took more than one photo they were proud of this! Cheers

Especially since he kept it all these years and was proud enough of the photo to use it in his web site nearly 50 years after the event took place.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Homer Glen, Illinois | Registered: 13 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
checkout this window ad at Hicks Chevvrolet
https://www.flickr.com/photos/31411679@N08/5064270644

Posts: 907 | Location: Lubbock,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter 2009
Racing
posted Hide Post
I wonder what it says on the front fender on car at Hicks Chevrolet picture

Posts: 129 | Location: Brockton, MA | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
I just did a magnification..

"Hicks Bros"

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:

In most cases....It's all the evidence we ever get!!
I can't help think about what my old picture hunt proved back when we first all got together!

Just off the top of my head....

1. Blacked Out rear ends on 67 Big Blocks
2. RS Pacers.
3. Mag Hub Cap Pacers
4. Black Nose Blue Toppers
5. Safety Patrol Coupes
I'm sure I'm leaving out a few.....Pics are everything!! :-)

Posts: 9137 | Location: Ventura, Ca. | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
quote:
checkout this window ad at Hicks Chevvrolet

I dig the fact that the Window proves once again that the Pace Car and everything out the program was also about the latest thing that Chevrolet had to offer!!! In this case... you see what most will recognize as 1968 script in the word Camaro. :-)

Victory Lane
Picture of SMKZ28
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bluetoppace:
quote:

In most cases....It's all the evidence we ever get!!
I can't help think about what my old picture hunt proved back when we first all got together!

Just off the top of my head....

1. Blacked Out rear ends on 67 Big Blocks
2. RS Pacers.
3. Mag Hub Cap Pacers
4. Black Nose Blue Toppers
5. Safety Patrol Coupes
I'm sure I'm leaving out a few.....Pics are everything!! :-)

I'm not familiar with the Safety Patrol Coupes. Is there a link to a thread on these Camaros with pictures and info? Thanks.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Homer Glen, Illinois | Registered: 13 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
That's the 10 White Coupes that were donated by Dick Hunt Chevrolet!
Hunt also owned a Avis..... these cars were White with Red Interiors! ;-)
I think most of those old threads where I pushed the research are not available any longer.

Racing
posted Hide Post
So please could you published some pics again ?

Posts: 189 | Location: FRANCE | Registered: 12 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Tony.. if you can remember the name of the thread maybe Bill can find it.. I know Phil Borris has ways as well..

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
My God Tom!!!! lol!!!! Ummm!! Well does year kind of help?? It should be 2006!

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Here... (I think)

http://web.archive.org/web/201...0019733/m/4780049235

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
I don't think it is Phil! I could get beyond page 3 anyway!

In 08 maybe the end of 07 I bought a Coupe that may have been one of the Safety Patrol 10....

There was a thread for sure with pics of the car and probably some of the vintage pics that I uncovered!
In 06 I found the images and I believe I did a thread on that find and had awesome images of the Door Decal!! ;-)

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
bump

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post