Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"500" Festival pictures
 Login/Join 

Victory Lane
Picture of MLakin
posted Hide Post
Can't tell for sure if there are any front plate or brackets on them in this photo. Looks like the middle car may or may not have one, don't think the car on the right does.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MLakin,

Mike L.

Posts: 2529 | Location: Indy | Registered: 20 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Victory Lane
Picture of MLakin
posted Hide Post
If you peruse the photos on the home page there and several pictures with cars that don't have front plate brackets.

http://www.camaropacecars.com/photos.htm

Mike L.

Posts: 2529 | Location: Indy | Registered: 20 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
On a related topic who has the newspaper clipping with the assignment #'s tied to the celebrity that was in the car?

It was posted here like 10 years ago but it is lost.. Thanks in advance.

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Phil, Ive got a copy,but it is hard to read. If no one post it I'll post my copy.

Posts: 907 | Location: Lubbock,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Pat Railsback>
posted
quote:
Pat , I blew up the photo of the passengers side rear wheel well on the car Mario Andretti was in.It appears the area has been cleaned up which is what appears to be the fresh white ?Is there also something bolted into the wheel well running parallel to the wheel well molding? Might be attached in two locations there also?

Geoff,

I mentioned the overspray in the wheel well because I would not expect to see it there as the black out coating in the select areas including the wheel well were applied after paint. I think I can see similar overspray on the Lorne Greene car? Friend of mine here at work said it looked like it was just parade trash stuck in the wheel well. Just makes me ponder the O special paint code when I see things like this. I don't see additional hardware attachments that you are describing, but could be?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Pat Railsback>
posted
Mike,

I've read newspaper articles describing the problems they had with theft and souvenir hunters related to courtesy pace cars over the years. It was even reported that three 69 Camaro IPC's were found blocked up with the wheels stolen. I'm guessing numbered official plates would be a real prize and therefore reserved for festival cars that were under more direct accountability. I have a porcelain reflective paint plate "Official Car 34" (black lettering) thought to be from the 60's. I think that's the queen car number? I was told they reused the numbered festival car plates for several years.

I can also say without doubt that in 1982 the # 1 plated Camaro IPC was assigned to the George family. I rode in it twice between Terre Haute and Indianapolis with Tony George and also drove it to the car wash prior to one of those trips and backed it into a concrete post, oops. So if any of you have 1982 IPC #1 it has quarter panel repair.

Victory Lane
Picture of MLakin
posted Hide Post
Still happens, they hit some on the National lot for their wheels a couple of years ago. Anymore when the plates get put on use at least one of the anti-tampering screws. They had Lee and I put in three screws and were later going to add the tamper-proof one (we didn't have any). Don't want it to be too easy to get them off!
Had to be a boon to get the Indiana BMV involved with the "Civic Event" plates on all but the actual three track cars. Gets them numbered and legal to drive on the street!
I'm going to go back some more and look at old pictures, I've yet to find photo evidence of a year they used their own numbered plates, and obviously they must have.

Mike L.

<Pat Railsback>
posted
This is the 34 plate I have. Not in very good shape. They don't have the year and I was told that was because they transferred them from year to year. But I don't know for sure? Might be a good new thread and research topic?

Victory Lane
Picture of MLakin
posted Hide Post
Might be a good topic. So far three different styles; the one I posted, the one Geoff posted and the one Pat posted (embossed). Can't help but think that it must have been a PITA to ensure that every single plate got returned and recovered every year and didn't disappear with the car/souvenir hunter. I'll bet every year more would disappear until they'd have to make a new batch of them because so many numbers were missing. Still haven't found a picture.

Mike L.

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
bump

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post